Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 06:08 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times

Advertisements

Its the sanctions not the bombast. Its the money. The load noise is worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 06:08 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongcoffeeandsunhine View Post
Full disclaimer before I begin. I did not vote for Trump. I cannot stand Trump. I think he is hands down, the least qualified and most unfit for office, POTUS we have ever had and hopefully ever will have. I hope on a daily basis that he is impeached, resigns or the 25th amendment is invoked. I can't stand the man. He's a narcissist on an ego trip and very little more.

With that said. I have to admit that I don't believe the historic progress we are seeing in North Korea would have happened under anyone else. Granted it's too early to tell if Kim is playing us or if he's serious but if this ends up being a historic breakthrough, I really think Trump deserves credit for it.

He took a hard line which no one else was willing to do and I don't believe any of the other candidates for POTUS on either side of the aisle would have taken had they won the election.

Now, he's no brilliant tactician and his knowledge of global affairs and their ramifications are criminally inept.
He may have also taken this stance for purely petty reasons.. to look strong in contrast to Obama who he loves to compare himself to.

Regardless, it seems that a strong resolve to use force if necessary and be willing to back it up is what was needed and that is what Trump provided. So I think he deserves credit for success or failure depending on how this goes.

On the surface, it might seem that you are correct. However, we are just days into this "agreement to talk" by NK, and, as we have seen probably 4 times in the past, they start talking and then completely lie and do a 180. Kim's father did it, and he has too.

It it still too early to start opening the champagne and releasing the balloons. Smart money is on Kim using this to simply buy him some time and to get those sanctions lifted. Then, up will go another missile, just like all the other times.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:10 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
No different from all the things Obama takes credit for
Like what? I`ll wait.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:14 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
It takes a bully to fight a bully.
No but I can't use the words to describe both leaders.trump gave respectability to Kim and that was wrong.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:50 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
I hate to say it but I think Trump gets credit for North Korean progress

tRump will deserve some credit if and when there's any progress.

Counting chickens, eggs, etc...

Old 04-26-2018, 06:51 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
What progress?

NK has ceased testing, for now at least. Well, they know their nukes work. A moratorium on testing costs them nothing.

Does anyone seriously believe they will give up their nukes?

This is what they do, Play nice. lie, and then start their mayhem again.

Please ...

Old 04-26-2018, 07:02 AM

2,828 posts, read 825,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
The answer to the question to whether this is a meaningful change or just typical manipulation by Kim Jong Un will come in 5 or 10 years, when we have determined whether or not he has actually done any of the things he has promised. Answer will come when we have full access to any locations in NK we want to inspect, because otherwise we are basing the idea that we have made progress on hope - not facts. Answer will come when he has opened his country for the full view of the world.

The more cautious view is that Kim Jong Un has now completed all the flight testing he needs to do; since he has confirmed his ability to launch and control an ICBM, he can continue his development quietly in secret. And lie to the world in the meantime about his intentions. I'm surprised anyone is taking his assurances at face value. Why would we?
What choice do we have?

Old 04-26-2018, 07:04 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
What progress?

Old 04-26-2018, 07:08 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Full disclaimer before I begin. I did not vote for Trump. I cannot stand Trump. I think he is hands down, the least qualified and most unfit for office, POTUS we have ever had and hopefully ever will have. I hope on a daily basis that he is impeached, resigns or the 25th amendment is invoked. I can't stand the man. He's a narcissist on an ego trip and very little more.

With that said. I have to admit that I don't believe the historic progress we are seeing in North Korea would have happened under anyone else. Granted it's too early to tell if Kim is playing us or if he's serious but if this ends up being a historic breakthrough, I really think Trump deserves credit for it.

He took a hard line which no one else was willing to do and I don't believe any of the other candidates for POTUS on either side of the aisle would have taken had they won the election.

Now, he's no brilliant tactician and his knowledge of global affairs and their ramifications are criminally inept.
He may have also taken this stance for purely petty reasons.. to look strong in contrast to Obama who he loves to compare himself to.

Regardless, it seems that a strong resolve to use force if necessary and be willing to back it up is what was needed and that is what Trump provided. So I think he deserves credit for success or failure depending on how this goes.
Obama was not my favorite President but I also gave him credit where it was due. When the Seal team took down Bin Laden Obama was there in the room along with the generals...taking full responsibility for what went down. Would have been very difficult for him to point fingers if the operation went bad, the Seals got killed and Bin Laden escaped which could have happened.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:11 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
What progress?
They are actually close to ending the war with S Korea as well as everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies