Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 12:44 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Then how do you explain the Starbucks incident? Obviously, that's not always the case. Time will tell what the whole story is behind this incident.

Yet according to the article, the police report makes no mention of that statement. There appear to be some significant contradiction sin the story at this point; I don't think any of us can say for certain what actually happened.
well, with all due respect,

I said IF THIS IS THE CASE IF THIS IS THE CASE IF THIS IS THE CASE IF THIS IS THE CASE.

i ALSO POSTED THE FOLLOWING

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think the more to the story is probably accurate.

I should not have assumed the manager was an idiot, but then again, I am not going to assume this man is up to no good, either.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:46 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times
A quick online search shows he has had multiple arrests for assault and battery, among other arrests.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:50 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Then how do you explain the Starbucks incident? Obviously, that's not always the case. Time will tell what the whole story is behind this incident.

Yet according to the article, the police report makes no mention of that statement. There appear to be some significant contradiction sin the story at this point; I don't think any of us can say for certain what actually happened.
Where exactly did you read that this specifically was not in the police report?

Old 04-28-2018, 12:51 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It is ridiculous that these daily minor incidents (have always happened and always will) are turned into headline news if the racist narrative can be injected. Yep, I agree, ridiculous for sure.

The dude wasn't a poor Indian choir boy just asking for a picture?
OOOOPS.... narrative out the window.
I agree.

Like I posted many times in this forum, my family owns several retail stores in the shopping malls, and we also have restaurants, so I am in retail long enough to know that managers call police or the security guards all the time. Not everything is based on "racial bias".

I have a regular customer who appears to be a little "off". If I have to make a wild assumption, I have to say he probably suffers from down syndrome. One of my stores is selling animation stuffs and to him, this store is like a paradise and he is here all the time. He never caused any troubles but he has troubles maintaining personal hygiene. Sometimes, he likes to... well.. talk to himself.

One employee called security guard on him because according to her, "He smiled at her funny." I cannot really blame her for calling, but I have to spend at least 30 minutes to explain to her that he is not a threat. Just let him be.
He smells bad, but you still need to treat him like a regular customer. Don't take things too personally.
She (my employee) is a very pleasant nice teenager. She also likes to call the security guard if the customers disagree with her. She could be a little impulsive sometimes, but she is a good employee. It is all about training.

Political contests are emotional, high-stakes affairs and few topics stir up American passion like race. As a campaign strategy, race can have a polarizing effect that causes some voters to prioritize the issue when they wouldn't otherwise, and impact voter turnout.

Race sells sometimes.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:53 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
I just lost 50 IQ points listening to this guy go on and on with his spiel.

Homie owes me reparations for that.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:53 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
A quick online search shows he has had multiple arrests for assault and battery, among other arrests.

Yep, this guy has a history, and the store probably has had dealings with him before. It is totally illogical for ANY store manager to call the cops if someone simply wants a picture taken. Like Judge Judy always says "If it doesn't make sense, it isn't true".

Old 04-28-2018, 12:55 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Quote:

Apples/ oranges. I agree that the Starbucks thing was ridiculous, and Starbucks, to their credit, are taking proper steps to retrain their people. This one is a little different, I think.

No, I think it really is apples and apples. Your statement was -

Quote:
Well, let's think about this for a minute. I work retail, and it takes a VERY serious situation before we would ever call police.
The Starbucks incident was clearly NOT a "very serious situation," yet police were called by management. So the statement that police are only called in a very serious situation is not true. Police are sometimes called by store managers for no good reason at all. Time will tell where this one falls.

Quote:

Also, he is not exactly an alter boy, he had an outstanding warrant for his arrest, that is why he was arrested, not over his incident. I bet when the truth comes out, this guy was not there to simply buy clothes. People who work retail learn to have a certain radar, we can see certain actions a person takes that makes us want to be careful and watch them.
An unpaid parking ticket? That has no relevance at all in this matter.

Quote:
BTW, that guy doesn't even look like an Indian to me, so that would not be the reason for the manager to automatically profile him.
I think he's pretty clearly a non-Caucasian, though. Looks pretty Indian to me, personally. Although one wouldn't expect that to raise any automatic red flags in a place like Oklahoma, which has a large native population. I agree that something about this doesn't add up, but it's too soon to tell who's zooming who.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:00 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree.

Like I posted many times in this forum, my family owns several retail stores in the shopping malls, and we also have restaurants. So I am in retail long enough to know that managers call police or the security guards all the time. Not everything is based on "racial bias".

I have a regular customer who appears to be a little "off". If I have to make a wild assumption, I have to say he probably suffers from down syndrome. One of my stores is selling animation stuffs and to him, this store is like a paradise and he is here all the time. He never caused any troubles but he has troubles maintaining personal hygiene. Sometimes, he likes to... well.. talk to himself.

One employee called security guard on him because according to her, "He smiled at her funny." I cannot really blame her for calling, but I have to spend at least 30 minutes to explain to her that he is not a threat. Just let him be.
He smells bad, but you still need to treat him like a regular customer. Don't take things too personally.
She (my employee) is a very pleasant nice teenager. She also likes to call the security guard if the customer disagree with her. She could be a little impulsive sometimes, but she is a good employee. It is all about training.

Political contests are emotional, high-stakes affairs and few topics stir up American passion like race. As a campaign strategy, race can have a polarizing effect that causes some voters to prioritize the issue when they wouldn't otherwise, and impact voter turnout.

Race sells sometimes.

I think everyone should work in retail at least once in their lives, it will open your eyes to the reality of what a lot of people are like. Every day I find multiple empty packages, where someone has stolen the item and hidden the box. These are people we go out of our way to provide help and advice to, and some of them stab us in the back.

Not everything is racial, the majority of our customers are older white men, and they are some of the ones stealing from us.

2,067 posts, read 1,069,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
geez, I would have called the police on robedeaux, too. such a question is scary.
Sounds like a serial killer in the making, or I've been watching waaaay too much stuff on the Investigation Discovery channel.

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
If a woman employee is alone and gets an unsafe vibe from a male customer, she should listen to her gut and always call the police. better to be safe than the possible alternative.

Men don't understand that fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies