Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would Congress Approve FULL Border Wall Funding if Trump closed the government and stood firm?
Yes, eventually they would yield to Trump 23 25.00%
No, the government could be closed for months but they would not yield 69 75.00%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 08:37 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It's one thing to have a healthy distrust of government, another to make wild allegations with absolutely no supporting evidence.

There is no evidence that any Americans, except maybe those with outstanding warrants, are being denied departure from the US. Therefore, there is no need for Americans to scamper across the desert to get out which would be cut off by a wall. Have you even been across the border? At most border crossings you do not even talk to a US officer much less show documents before leaving. You usually show passport if departing on an airline but that's an airline policy not govt rule. They don't want to have to bring you back if you are denied entry at the other port.

People leave this country for many reasons that have nothing to do with the overall economy. First, my personal economy matters more to me than the national economy. The country might be in a recession and I am doing great, or the country might be booming and I might be penniless. Most people leaving are retiring and going to a country with a lower price scale where their social security or pension can go much further.

Not to mention a million Americans living in Mexico (what's that, 100k per year?) is a tiny fraction of our 350 million population. More Americans go to Mexico for vacation every year.

The President of Mexico lies. They very much want for Mexicans to come here. Did you realize that remittances - money Mexican citizens make in the US and wire back to Mexico - is Mexico's numero uno source of GDP? Yes, it overtook oil a few years ago. It's remittances, oil, tourism, agriculture. Without Mexicans in the US sending back remittances, Mexico would collapse.
I liked your post it was great. And you almost had me believing it. The problem I have with believing it are the reports that there are more Mexicans leaving the U.S., than those entering into it. One reason they give, to reunite with family.

Well there went that GDP, leaving the U.S.

The supporting evidence for my statements may be left unseen ... I hope for your sake and for the sake of all Americans, it remains that way. But there is one thing I am certain about ... nothing good ever came for any country that has ever built a wall in it.

I'm not the only one aware of the migration numbers. The government is too; they have the research, though they would like people to believe something else. So no, I don't trust the government.

Talk of wall building and immigration reform are great points to make to earn them votes. That is all that it is and that is all that it does.

Administration after administration for as long as I can remember say they will be tough on immigration, yet each one in its own unique way does something to help keep them here. Ever wonder why that is? Or is that something you've never noticed? It may have something to do with GDP, in keeping a healthy economy healthy, but I could be wrong. Hell, I've been wrong about everything else, lets just add that to the list.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:47 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I liked your post it was great. And you almost had me believing it. The problem I have with believing it are the reports that there are more Mexicans leaving the U.S., than those entering into it. One reason they give, to reunite with family.

Well there went that GDP, leaving the U.S.
The problem you have is you have no concept of statistics. Your "report" is a PEW study that showed between 2009-2014 there was a net loss of 140,000. Two things there - one is that it is a big fat guess as there is no precise accounting and illegals usually do not report their comings and goings, and two is that is an insignificant fraction of a percentage of the 15-20 Million illegals estimated to be here. Therefore, even if such an insignificant loss was true it would have no material effect on remittances to Mexico. The GDP remains unaffected and remittances continue to be Mexico's top source of revenue.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:12 PM

And further evidence you are operating from propaganda rather than statistics, is the fact that despite migration slowing up the amount of remittances is increasing. What you say about GDP leaving?

Mexicans In The U.S. Are Sending Home More Money Than Ever
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...oney-than-ever

Old 05-04-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
The problem you have is you have no concept of statistics. Your "report" is a PEW study that showed between 2009-2014 there was a net loss of 140,000. Two things there - one is that it is a big fat guess as there is no precise accounting and illegals usually do not report their comings and goings, and two is that is an insignificant fraction of a percentage of the 15-20 Million illegals estimated to be here. Therefore, even if such an insignificant loss was true it would have no material effect on remittances to Mexico. The GDP remains unaffected and remittances continue to be Mexico's top source of revenue.
Frequently Requested Statistics on Immigrants and Immigration in the United States | migrationpolicy.org

"How many Mexican immigrants are in the United States?

Approximately 11.6 million Mexican immigrants resided in the United States in 2015, according to the ACS, accounting for 27 percent of all U.S. immigrants and down from the peak of 29.5 percent in 2000."
_______

I've been tracking population statistics for years, because of the posting here on c-d. I find them fascinating, births, deaths, migration in and out of the country, plus ... how the rest of the world is doing, as well. (my research into stat databases, is long)

So when you are saying there are 15-20 million illegals, is that just Mexican immigrants or people coming in from other countries, too? Africa, the larger migration of people are coming here are from Africa ... so if Trump is going to build that wall, he better make it ... reach the sky. Oh wait ... travel bans.

Any way, don't take my word for it you've been lied to for a vote. Research, birth rates (down) deaths (increase) migration (decline) factor that into the GDP along with ... baby boomers, the largest workforce is leaving the workforce and guess what. They didn't have enough kids to replace them in the labor pool. They didn't multiply because some one told them that large populations were bad for the economy. Guess what else is bad for the economy. Jobs, with no one to fill them.

As for as your other post on remittance, those that are still here and they're still shopping at the local markets ... so there's that. Two countries benefiting from people who migrate.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:16 AM

Nice diversion. Let's go with your number then - 11.6 million. That 140,000 decline is still a grain of sand on a beach. And good you mention birth rates because when you factor that in the total number here is still increasing despite stagnation in net entries.

The point under which remittances was brought up wasn't whether any of them shopped here but whether Mexico had a vested interest in sending them here. Maybe you think Mexican officials are just stupid and don't realize their biggest source of revenue are Mexicans living in the US.

Job, with no one to fill them? When that becomes the biggest problem facing us, let me know. Until then, let's deal with the problems that exist now. And stop with the usual diversion of illegal immigration from African (and other sources), which are mostly visa overstays. Nobody said Mexico was our only immigration problem. We have immigration problems on many front. The fact that we have problem B is not a justification to not address problem A.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Nice diversion. Let's go with your number then - 11.6 million. That 140,000 decline is still a grain of sand on a beach. And good you mention birth rates because when you factor that in the total number here is still increasing despite stagnation in net entries.

The point under which remittances was brought up wasn't whether any of them shopped here but whether Mexico had a vested interest in sending them here. Maybe you think Mexican officials are just stupid and don't realize their biggest source of revenue are Mexicans living in the US.

Job, with no one to fill them? When that becomes the biggest problem facing us, let me know. Until then, let's deal with the problems that exist now. And stop with the usual diversion of illegal immigration from African (and other sources), which are mostly visa overstays. Nobody said Mexico was our only immigration problem. We have immigration problems on many front. The fact that we have problem B is not a justification to not address problem A.
11.6 million is the number from the U.S. Census, not my number, but okay ... I said that more were leaving than where coming into the U.S. and you say that is a grain of sand on a beach. Well here is the impact that grain of sand is and will have on the U.S. economy.

Immigrants of All Socio-Economic Classes Leaving U.S.

Immigrants (not just the Mexicans) while they only make up 12% of the workforce, they make up 67% of those entering into the fields of science and engineering.

Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving the U.S.

Better quality of life; being closer to family and friends. The U.S. is no longer the land of opportunity.

"Why should we care? Because immigrants are critical to the country's long-term economic health. Despite the fact they constitute only 12% of the U.S. population, immigrants have started 52% of Silicon Valley's technology companies and contributed to more than 25% of our global patents. They make up 24% of the U.S. science and engineering workforce holding bachelor's degrees and 47% of science and engineering workers who have PhDs. Immigrants have co-founded firms such as Google, Intel, Ebay and Yahoo."

More U.S. Scientists and Engineers Are Foreign-Born

While this may open up the career opportunities in STEM fields, there is more of them, than there are of us, natural born American citizens and they are leaving; so there's that.
_________

Before Trump ... (why use the building a wall so as to obtain more votes?)

More Mexicans Leaving Than Coming to the U.S.

November 19, 2015; they cite their sources.

Yes, we are experiencing a net outflow of illegal, undocumented workers from America back to Mexico

"If the number is falling, that means more illegal Mexican immigrants are leaving the United States than entering it. The numbers include both immigrants who entered the U.S. illegally and those who overstayed their visas."

Immigration and Economic Growth in the U.S., 2000-2015

"At the same time, more Mexican immigrants have been leaving the U.S. than coming in, resulting in a zero net inflow of less educated immigrants coming from Mexico in the last decade."
Quote:
Job, with no one to fill them? When that becomes the biggest problem facing us, let me know.

What Baby Boomers’ Retirement Means For the U.S. Economy

"For decades, the retirement of the baby boom generation has been a looming economic threat. Now, it’s no longer looming — it’s here."
"The participation rate hit a 36-year low last month, and while there are multiple reasons for the decline, the aging of the baby boom generation is a dominant factor."

Impact of baby boomers retiring on the economy and stocks

"The first Baby Boomers turned 70 last year. At the same time, the US fertility rate is at its lowest point since records began in 1909."

So there's that, also ...
Quote:
And stop with the usual diversion of illegal immigration from African (and other sources), which are mostly visa overstays.
African immigration is America's gain, Africa's loss

International migration from sub-Saharan Africa has grown dramatically since 2010

Quote:
The fact that we have problem B is not a justification to not address problem A.
Problem A was taking care of itself (with seemingly no knowledge or care of the negative impact on the economy) and problem B is only going to get bigger. Hide and watch.

off topic comment: Neither Obama nor Trump created jobs, the retiring baby boomers did.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:20 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:

Great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies