Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 09:38 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would a white girl wear a Chinese dress to a U.S. high school prom? Seems like she is just another student brain washed by liberals making a political statement based on the so-called greatness of diversity. If she were a Chinese student I'd understand it and wouldn't have a problem with it but this....?

Because its a beautiful dress. Sometimes girls just like and wear pretty things.
They don't stop to check their race or culture then check the culture/history of a design or fabric then check to see if wearing it would offend anyone in the entire world.
Its a dress.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:44 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Why would a white girl wear a Chinese dress to a U.S. high school prom? Seems like she is just another student brain washed by liberals making a political statement based on the so-called greatness of diversity. If she were a Chinese student I'd understand it and wouldn't have a problem with it but this....?
I am sure you don't even know how racist what you just said was.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:45 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
This is pretty much a dead story.

The SJWs who tried to make this an issue unquestionably got their behind's whooped by the public. Even the Chinese were wondering what the big deal was. The SJW's came off looking like crazy extremists.

The girl in question did an excellent job of not backing down. This was key in her victory. She's obviously been observing the social climate for some time, and learned that the number one mistake when dealing with bullies is apologizing.

However, this is merely one failed outrage incursion for SJWs. Today there will be another attempt, and tomorrow another. The motivation isn't any one issue, but rather a general hatred of society that didn't give them 10 million dollars on heir eighteenth birthdays and didn't make them prom queen or king.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:47 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
discussion over. Those offended by the girl in the dress are stupid.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-appreciation/

China has sided with the young lady.

period.

move along

if you are offended look in the mirror and tell yourself you suck and you need to stop sucking.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:24 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
BS! Tell that to Michelle Obama, Oprah Winfrey, or Queen Latifah, just to name a few. They must like the way it looks too cause they all are doing it.

Your blame claim is about as pathetic as when Michael Jackson claimed he did all that plastic surgery and skin bleaching so he would be fully excepted by the white people, even though he had already been fully excepted by the white people long before he started doing all that crazy stuff to his face.

And yes, I prefer the looks of their hair when it's straight compared to when it's natural. But don't forget, they didn't straighten their hair for me. I'm just giving feedback as to what I think of how it looks.
Michael Jackson never said he bleached his skin to be accepted by white people. He said he had a skin pigmentation disorder (can’t recall the name) that made his skin splotchy. No one believed him, but I believe his autopsy confirmed he was telling the truth.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:30 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
discussion over. Those offended by the girl in the dress are stupid.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-appreciation/

China has sided with the young lady.

period.

move along

if you are offended look in the mirror and tell yourself you suck and you need to stop sucking.
LOL!

While I agree that this is pretty much over from a social media standpoint, I did not realize that China, as a unified country, had indicated support for prom attire for this young person.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
We know that some people were offended, and we know that some were not. Does that mean that those who were offended should be ignored?
Yes it does mean that. People can be offended all they want, but that’s their problem.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Not this progressive. I think it was a beautiful dress and anyone offended by it ~ for whatever reason ~ is dumb and dumber.

Then again, I am not on board with the whole 'cultural appropriation' thing. We are supposed to be a melting pot, yes?
I don’t think anyone over the age of 35 is on board with the cultural appropriation thing. It seems to have been born in some sociology department of a college and spread like a disease. And I highly doubt that most college students even believe it, but the few that do are very loud.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:55 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Because its a beautiful dress. Sometimes girls just like and wear pretty things.
They don't stop to check their race or culture then check the culture/history of a design or fabric then check to see if wearing it would offend anyone in the entire world.
Its a dress.
Indeed, 2mares. When I was young and very thin and still pretty, I had a Vivienne Tam dress that was printed with Chinese characters. It was gorgeous, and I felt the same while wearing it. I think the young woman has suffered an unfair amount of criticism. She looked lovely and appropriate for a formal occasion.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:02 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Here ya go. Its not just extreme leftists who twist things around and then get offended by silliness like prom dresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies