Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 06:38 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,129,570 times

Advertisements

Check out this viral video. It's of a dreadlocked white male student in San Francisco who is accosted by a black female for wearing dreadlocks, which she says is cultural appropriation since it should be confined to black people:

Video: Dreadlocked White SFSU Student Accosted For 'Cultural Appropriation': SFist

Aside from the the woman claiming to not know where Egypt is and that dreadlocks have been worn throughout history by a variety of cultures, including ancient Greeks and Vikings----does anyone besides me think this seems staged, with really poor acting? I'm not saying it couldn't have happened, but it just doesn't seem like it happened spontaneously to me. No one online is questioning whether this is just a staged hoax. Supposedly SF State is looking into this and a police report has been filed, but no charges pressed. But since it just seems so staged to me, it kind of scares me that people just accept it because it's on line without questioning whether it's true.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:44 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Just saw an article on this on the Daily Mail and many commenters also stated they think it might be staged.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:06 AM

307 posts, read 245,794 times
I watched the video yesterday - definitely staged. At one point the person doing the 'shaming' looks directly at the camera and smiles....Fake as Flock

Old 03-30-2016, 09:09 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,361,409 times
You just can't craft an intelligent response to some things.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:44 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,598,532 times
Well fake or not the responses show that indeed some people feel the way she does. The funny thing is that dreadlocks were actually Indian spiritual leader hairstyle first, then when they went to Jamaica the Jamaicans adopted it. So everyone is wrong in the video. Only Indians can wear them, and they have to be spiritual leaders. lol

Wow, kids have a lot of time to waist on stupid crap these days. My daughter told me about cultural appropriation and how careful you have to be these days. I laughed, thinking about the eighties and nineties growing up and how little we cared about all of this. Black girls could be valley girls and white girls could be break dancers. As long as everyone was happy. Fame, Flashdance, Purple Rain.....what happened people???? We just mixed it up, nobody cared. Asian Valley Girl, why sure, why not!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM8Ss28zjcE Aw.....the good ole' days.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:50 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Well fake or not the responses show that indeed some people feel the way she does. The funny thing is that dreadlocks were actually Indian spiritual leader hairstyle first, then when they went to Jamaica the Jamaicans adopted it. So everyone is wrong in the video. Only Indians can wear them, and they have to be spiritual leaders. lol

Wow, kids have a lot of time to waist on stupid crap these days. My daughter told me about cultural appropriation and how careful you have to be these days. I laughed, thinking about the eighties and nineties growing up and how little we cared about all of this. Black girls could be valley girls and white girls could be break dancers. As long as everyone was happy. Fame, Flashdance, Purple Rain.....what happened people???? We just mixed it up, nobody cared. Asian Valley Girl, why sure, why not!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM8Ss28zjcE Aw.....the good ole' days.
I agree. "Cultural appropriation" is such nonsense. I can't decide if it's more PC "diversity" crap or (recognizing other "cultures") or created with the intention to be divisive. Maybe both.

Even if this situation was staged, there are plenty of non-staged incidents where people are accused of "cultural appropriation." I remember not too long ago, a celebrity (can't remember who) shared a pic on Instagram of herself wearing a beautiful Native American headdress - a tasteful pic, and she was slammed for "cultural appropriation" because white people (who slaughtered the Indians and forced them West, you know) should NOT wear NA clothes or styles. She was forced to apologize. Personally, I would refuse but that's just me.

BTW I just googled to see if I could find out who I am thinking of - but apparently it happens a lot. http://www.fashionnstyle.com/article...y-and-more.htm

Old 03-30-2016, 10:17 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,484,998 times
She did not seem angry to me so I just thought she liked the kid and was trying to make conversation with him.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:37 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,837 times
I can't imagine anyone objecting to dread-locked white people. So many African-American ladies straighten their hair or dye it blond, and no one has a problem with that. It's just hair.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:07 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,107 times
Our indoctrinated youth continue to find new and more sensational ways to try to get the agendas across. What do we want? Dead Cops! When do we want them? Now! I mean, that was soooo last year.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:53 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,134,844 times
Before anyone starts with the 'L-word' (because they have and probably will again), I'll get this out right now.

That woman is not a liberal.

As a liberal, I believe in live and let live, which is how I define being a liberal. As long as you're not harming others (and no, "being offended" does not count as harm), nobody has a right to dictate the way you live your life.

The 1st amendment means she's free to ***** about it to him, but he's equally free to ignore her. Putting her hands on him crosses the line.

Honestly, there are so many real problems in the world. There's no need to manufacture problems out of nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events