Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:44 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,972 times

Advertisements

I don't know about cultural appropriation, but a white guy with dreads just screams d bag or pot dealer to me. I usually see them only on the upper middle class Occupy trust fund types.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:05 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,102,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Well fake or not the responses show that indeed some people feel the way she does. The funny thing is that dreadlocks were actually Indian spiritual leader hairstyle first, then when they went to Jamaica the Jamaicans adopted it. So everyone is wrong in the video. Only Indians can wear them, and they have to be spiritual leaders. lol

Wow, kids have a lot of time to waist on stupid crap these days. My daughter told me about cultural appropriation and how careful you have to be these days. I laughed, thinking about the eighties and nineties growing up and how little we cared about all of this. Black girls could be valley girls and white girls could be break dancers. As long as everyone was happy. Fame, Flashdance, Purple Rain.....what happened people???? We just mixed it up, nobody cared. Asian Valley Girl, why sure, why not!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM8Ss28zjcE Aw.....the good ole' days.
Interesting interpretation of how dreadlocks came to being...the dreads are supposed to be a direct interpretation of how Jesus hair was described in the bible....not saying your interpretation is incorrect...just never heard that one before...I am quite sure dreadlocks were not first worn in Jamaica...not even sure how one could confidently say where they started...but yeah, the dreadlocks in Jamaica are from the bible...maybe it was adopted but that's how that started and was interpreted...the Rastafarian element is another story...and yes, the video seems staged

Old 03-30-2016, 01:35 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,454,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
...she says is cultural appropriation since it should be confined to black people:

#FirstWorldProblems

Old 03-30-2016, 02:29 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,541,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I can't imagine anyone objecting to dread-locked white people. So many African-American ladies straighten their hair or dye it blond, and no one has a problem with that. It's just hair.
...add in the synthetic and human hair wigs, half wigs, ponytails and extensions from India/Malaysia/Philippines/Brazil/Thailand/China etc etc. I've seen plenty of these worn by all races...White and Asian with loc'd up hair, braids, puffs, shaved, punk'd out, updos...

it's just hair, what's the big deal who wears what? let everybody share the diversity of fashion and be beautiful

Old 03-30-2016, 02:52 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,567,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Check out this viral video. It's of a dreadlocked white male student in San Francisco who is accosted by a black female for wearing dreadlocks, which she says is cultural appropriation since it should be confined to black people:

Video: Dreadlocked White SFSU Student Accosted For 'Cultural Appropriation': SFist

Aside from the the woman claiming to not know where Egypt is and that dreadlocks have been worn throughout history by a variety of cultures, including ancient Greeks and Vikings----does anyone besides me think this seems staged, with really poor acting? I'm not saying it couldn't have happened, but it just doesn't seem like it happened spontaneously to me. No one online is questioning whether this is just a staged hoax. Supposedly SF State is looking into this and a police report has been filed, but no charges pressed. But since it just seems so staged to me, it kind of scares me that people just accept it because it's on line without questioning whether it's true.
"Cultural appropriation" is the single most empty-headed pseudointellectual concept to come out of the PC movement.

BTW I'm English and I demand that all of non-Spanish speaking America immediately cease and desist from speaking and writing English.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:02 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,717,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Before anyone starts with the 'L-word' (because they have and probably will again), I'll get this out right now.

That woman is not a liberal.

As a liberal, I believe in live and let live, which is how I define being a liberal. As long as you're not harming others (and no, "being offended" does not count as harm), nobody has a right to dictate the way you live your life.

The 1st amendment means she's free to ***** about it to him, but he's equally free to ignore her. Putting her hands on him crosses the line.

Honestly, there are so many real problems in the world. There's no need to manufacture problems out of nothing.
Actually today's so called liberals are far from it.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:02 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,677,667 times
Post Apparently not staged, victim Cory Goldstein speaks out

The student who was assaulted has posted a video response on youtube, and claims it was not staged. Given that university police were called to the scene of the incident when it occurred, and a formal police report was filed it appears Bonita Tindle decided being offended justified attacking a fellow student.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFWeekly

In the new video, 22-year-old environmental science major Cory Goldstein discusses the exchange with a student identified as SFSU photography major Bonita Tindle and defends his dreadlocks as merely a hairstyle choice and not cultural appropriation.

“I didn’t want to talk or discuss the situation with her at all. I felt that I didn’t need to explain myself — my hair, my rules, my body,” Goldstein says.
Even though she tried to physically prevent him from leaving, grabbed him, and slapped the cameraman, I doubt she'll face any consequences.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:03 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"Cultural appropriation" is the single most empty-headed pseudointellectual concept to come out of the PC movement.
I just saw this term somewhere else recently. What poppycock.

"Mummy, he's copying me! Make him stop!"

Completely frelling ridiculous.

What's more, if someone is duplicating someone else's 'style', is it not the complete opposite of 'discrimination' and ostracism? Does not such a complaint speak to a desire to remain segregated rather than integrated? Equal rights?

What a joke, completely retarded. I think any twit whining about "cultural appropriation" needs needs a good smack upside the head.

So, those who aren't of Irish descent shouldn't wear shamrocks and drink Guinness on St. Paddy's day? Or ever?

White people should be forbidden to make rap recordings? ("Marky-Mark, you're under arrest for 'cultural appropriation. You have the right to remain silent...please use it.")

If you aren't at least 51% Germanic origin, you will get ten years in the Pen for wearing lederhosen.

Execution for anyone wearing plaid if you have no Scottish blood...twice if you are caught wearing an actual Clan Tartan.

Ruck me funning, the world has gone insane.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:14 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,237,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Our indoctrinated youth continue to find new and more sensational ways to try to get the agendas across. What do we want? Dead Cops! When do we want them? Now! I mean, that was soooo last year.

Bingo. You nailed it right on the center of the nail head.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:18 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,610,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Interesting interpretation of how dreadlocks came to being...the dreads are supposed to be a direct interpretation of how Jesus hair was described in the bible....not saying your interpretation is incorrect...just never heard that one before...I am quite sure dreadlocks were not first worn in Jamaica...not even sure how one could confidently say where they started...but yeah, the dreadlocks in Jamaica are from the bible...maybe it was adopted but that's how that started and was interpreted...the Rastafarian element is another story...and yes, the video seems staged
Well, I meant Middle East Indian, so I could see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events