Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 12:01 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times

Advertisements

I am pro-gun rights & didn’t support the one in March but I allowed my twins (juniors in HS) to participate because I trusted them to remain on campus & not endanger themselves. My issue was concern for student safety vs the issue of gun-control. My response would have been different had they been in elementary school. I probably would have kept them home.

It was a non-issue on 4/20 because we are in Colorado, about an hour south of Columbine & our district just schedules “teacher work days” on 4/20, due to the disruptions & distractions from copycat threats & inevitable lockdowns.

I would be personally against this walkout as well, despite being pro-rights, because again; I’m concerned about student safety. If the twins wanted to participate I would allow it because I trust them & they are not grade-schoolers.

The schools did not have a legal duty to obtain parental consent because the students remained on campus but there is an implied moral obligation of “in loco parentis”; meaning the school is to act “in place of the parent”. I do not recall being consulted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 12:40 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Aren’t protests supposed to be against something?
I suppose so?

Old 05-02-2018, 05:37 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ent-walkout-s/
St. Charles HS students planning Wednesday walkout in support of Second Amendment, school says - Elgin Courier-News

A high school student from NM named Will Riley has organized a nationwide walkout to express support for the Second Amendment. Students plan to walk out for 16 minutes, or 1 minute less than the anti-gun walkouts staged last month. Maybe the pro-gun students wanted to show that they are 1 minute more dedicated to their studies than the anti-gunners.

Public schools have put themselves in a box by promoting the anti-gun walkouts last month. Now if they don't allow similar treatment to the opposing view, they would look like great hypocrites.
They didn't 'promote' them -- they allowed them, supported them but promote?

The issue was the kids were going to walk out.

You have a school of 4000 kids -- 3000 kids go to walk out -- if you don't 'support' it -- provide order, rules, etc....it becomes a difficult situation to manage.

Didn't they try this before and it kind of fizzled? A quick google of 'students walk out in support of 2nd Amendment" shows a number of walk outs. They need to get organized. Schools in Colorado already walked out in April -- so the school board is suppose to let them walk out again. Are they walking out for a purpose or just to walk out of school and get some fun in the sun time.

Here in the south -- this is a silly time to stage a walk out -- exams, AP testing, senioritis......end of school year activities.

Maybe up north it works......

Old 05-02-2018, 05:45 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

You have a school of 4000 kids -- 3000 kids go to walk out -- if you don't 'support' it -- provide order, rules, etc....it becomes a difficult situation to manage.

Didn't they try this before and it kind of fizzled? A quick google of 'students walk out in support of 2nd Amendment" shows a number of walk outs. They need to get organized. Schools in Colorado already walked out in April -- so the school board is suppose to let them walk out again. Are they walking out for a purpose or just to walk out of school and get some fun in the sun time.

Here in the south -- this is a silly time to stage a walk out -- exams, AP testing, senioritis......end of school year activities.

That's the same schedule everywhere. AP tests start around May 1 nationally, those states with exit exams will be starting sometime this month if they haven't already, etc.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:51 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,476 times
They should remain in school and have faith in the constitution, that gun grabbers will always fail in the attempt to disarm law abiding citizens. Staying in school and ignoring the irrational left will convey a stronger message IMO.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:54 AM

764 posts, read 235,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

One student or a thousand....... doesn't matter, as long as each school treats this the same way they treated the last walk out. If there is going to be a one and done rule then state it. And it applies across the board to all protests. The schools have put themselves in a spot here, no matter which side of this particular argument you stand on. Do they now tolerate any and all walk outs? It's going to get dicey............

Old 05-02-2018, 07:13 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Punishment for participating in this march should be the same...no more, no less...as the punishment that students who participated in the earlier anti gun walkouts received.
Agreed.

I admire all of the students standing up for what they believe in.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I wonder if the schools will be giving these kids the same support/treatment the anti-gunners got a few months back?

If you do it for one you have to do it for another.

That's what public schools taught me: we're all in this in this together! (ironically at gunpoint)

I wonder if the pro-gunners will be telling these kids to stay in school as they told the survivors and others a few weeks ago.

I absolutely agree that if you do or say it for one cause, you must do it for another.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:15 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
They should remain in school and have faith in the constitution, that gun grabbers will always fail in the attempt to disarm law abiding citizens. Staying in school and ignoring the irrational left will convey a stronger message IMO.
"faith in the constitution" lol that silliness is what got us here. No one respects that moldy piece of paper especially the den of thieves known as congress.
For further evidence see the 90% of things the fedguv does that it was never authorized to do.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Oh yes, this is obviously all it could be. There's simply no way these kids could actually feel strongly enough about their 2nd amendment rights to march in support of them? There's absolutely no chance that they may have noticed the "no holds barred" attacks that have been widely publicized over the last several months, prompting them to take a stand for their own beliefs about guns and the 2nd amendment. It must be the NRA, programming them while they sleep or their parents pushing them. It's funny, when they march for gun regulations, they are free-thinking young adults standing up for what they believe in. But the minute some of them show support for the other side of the issue, they are mindless bots controlled by their parents and the NRA. Splendid.
So if kids are pro-gun it's because they "feel strongly enough about their 2nd amendment rights to march in support of them" but if they are in favor of stricter controls they are simply mindless drones parroting what their parents told them to say and/or following the herd?

Interesting double-standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies