Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 05:04 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
My thoughts exactly. This change will just cause a lot of unnecessary distractions.

Why can't the girl scouts just adopt the same activities as the boy scouts?
The troops and dens are going to be single-sex. Seriously, do some research before commenting.

Last edited by ContraPagan; 05-02-2018 at 06:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 05:04 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
is there still a girl scouts?

are we changing the name of that as well?
please read at least part of the thread
yes.
there is no association between BSA and GSA. none. they don't have the same goals and they don't use even tangentially similar methods

Old 05-02-2018, 05:20 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Run for your safe spaces, boys! The girls are coming!
I mean ~ that's the vibe I'm getting from several posters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Someone needs to start a new Scouts for boys only where boys are allowed to be boys. They could easily put the "Boy" Scouts out of business with their gender neutral nonsense.
I don't think so. Boy Scouts have been losing members like crazy. Lots of cub scouts that drop out before they make it to 'boy scouts'. It's not seen as 'cool'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I don't have any problems with the name change or with the Scouts accepting girls.

Scouting has been declining for a long time, and the Girl Scouts turned into more of a money-raising organization than an adventure club for girls.

Girls these days love to go hiking, camping, climbing, and all the other traditional activities of the Boy Scouts, and as a family activity, I think it's good they're now allowed into scouting.

Now, the sisters can go with their brothers on the same day hikes, to the same meetings where learning the basics of outdoor survival is equally good for all, and Den Mothers can now go out too, something they could not before. The Den Mothers were always integral to the Boy Scouts.

And it will help scouting stay financially more secure into the future.
To me, "The Scouts" as an official name is natural. It's the one that was always used by the boys who were members forever. Removing the gender from the name is no big deal.
Bingo.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:37 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
As long as I can get cookies I don't care.

I enjoyed 4-H and FFA when I was a kid so I think the Scouts will be fine.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:40 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Having been an assistant scout master and seen the difficulty of maintaining a troop ,sadly the inclusion of girls is become a necessity .
More so since single mothers are not able to afford a lot of the things kids need to participate .like a uniform .
Getting kids to meetings and camp outs is a whole other challenge .
The group I was participating had their meetings on Wednesday in direct competition with church activities so that eliminated those folks.
When you directly compete with family plans you cut off your own nose to spite your face.
So there are some things that scouting needs to adjust if they are going to get along with families, not compete with them .

Old 05-02-2018, 05:58 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djdr8utkagg

Old 05-02-2018, 06:00 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Will they now change the name of the Girl Scouts? Can boys now sell cookies?
Man, this flippety-flop and consolidation are all getting out of hand.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:01 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Women are never satisfied with their superior status.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:02 PM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
That'll be great. That's just the age when boys start to really like girls. What could possibly go wrong?
It will make camping out a bit more fun.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:09 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
this is correct.

AND BSA has other programs that have been co-ed that include 14 year olds and older where there is camping. These programs have been in place since 1971.

all BSA did was open 2 programs to girls that had previously been closed to girls. Those programs will remain single gender at the base level.

for Cub Scouts that is the den. this is kids of the same grade in elementary school. It should also be noted, that in most settings each Cub Scout is accompanied by their own adult partner.

for Boy Scouts, the entire troop will remain single gender. you will not have a troop of scouts going camping that are co-ed. period.

PS BSA has a very active and vital group of leaders at the troop level that are female. that's been the case for a very very very long time.
Thanks for the explanation, this was the only aspect that made me uneasy. I think if the troops are going to be single gender then there's really no cause for complaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
The troops and dens are going to be UNISEX. Seriously, do some research before commenting.
I'll admit I was confused when you wrote "unisex", because that typically means both genders. As in, a "unisex" bathroom. That usually means both females and males can use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies