Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 08:03 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

you didn't read your article very carefully.

Quote:
They're largely from Somalia, according to Welcome Place Executive Director Rita Chahal, with many also coming from Djibouti, Nigeria, Eritrea, as well as from some Central American countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 08:20 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
I’ve considered moving from CA because the state is being destroyed by bad liberal political hacks and policies .
There are nice things about CA and L.A but the political environment is awful .

Extremely pro illegal alien /sanctuary state bs , soft on crime . Let the homeless do whatever even though they are literally killing people on the streets .
Drug addicts being able to do whatever .

It’s a great place for someone that wants to be a criminal or misfit for sure out of all the other states .

Old 05-04-2018, 08:54 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I’ve considered moving from CA because the state is being destroyed by bad liberal political hacks and policies .
There are nice things about CA and L.A but the political environment is awful .

Extremely pro illegal alien /sanctuary state bs , soft on crime . Let the homeless do whatever even though they are literally killing people on the streets .
Drug addicts being able to do whatever .

It’s a great place for someone that wants to be a criminal or misfit for sure out of all the other states .
Me too... only I have gone from considering a move to planning for it. This place has gone to hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinelessness View Post
I think those who made those promises they were overconfident that their preferred party would win so they thought they had nothing to lose by saying so. Politics are unpredictable. One day your party holds power, the next day some extremists from the other side win elections.
These same people made the same threats if GWB were elected back in 2000. Dozens and dozens of stars and wealthy people said they would move. I believe after his second election just one person actually moved to France.

The thing is... most of these people already own villas in France. See how that works?

As for the upper and upper-middle-class, well as I posted: after GWB was elected more than 6000 of them moved to Canada. When Obama was elected 2500 moved back. Shows how private citizens lives literally revolve around politics.

Me, I'm moving to Texas for financial reasons. I can no longer hand my hard earned money over to the people who are destroying this state. CoL is through the roof, taxes are usury, roads are crappy even though we pay 25% more than the rest of the country in gas taxes to fix the them, most of all: I'm a small business owner and we are regulated to death.

Last edited by steven_h; 05-04-2018 at 09:05 AM..

Old 05-04-2018, 09:34 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Those stickers might as well say "Please vandalize me", such is the anger towards our national embarrassment.

Not that I'd ever do such a thing, of course.
You hit the nail on the head. That’s why I never put ANY stickers on my car. I don’t want vandalism. It’s hard enough to park and not get dinged by careless people.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:35 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times
I could never figure out why someone would pull up stakes and disrupt their life over a presidency. I've lived through many of them since Eisenhower was around. Some have been good, some not, some I liked, some I didn't, but never, not even once has a president made me want to make a major life change. It's ridiculous.

A president can only be around for 8 years, max. Then a new one comes around. And in spite of what a president can do in that 8 years, it doesn't make sense to let it burn your nether regions. Yeah, it's fun for the keyboard commandos to toss insults back and forth, but life is short. I'd prefer to enjoy it and not let something that I can't control affect it.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:40 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Let's see, I live in a very blue city (so blue Trump only got 8% of the vote) two hours from Canada in a state with no income taxes and moderate property taxes. Why would I move?
The weather -- that's why I live in the southeast USA.

I'd move back to Canada tomorrow if I could have southeast weather.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:41 AM

Most of the people that said it were being purposefully silly -- like saying I will kill myself if those Patriots win another Superbowl...of course I would never -- it's just something stupid people do (psst I don't care who wins the Superbowl really it was just an example of how folks rant about stupid stuff and don't really mean it).

Old 05-04-2018, 09:41 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I could never figure out why someone would pull up stakes and disrupt their life over a presidency. I've lived through many of them since Eisenhower was around. Some have been good, some not, some I liked, some I didn't, but never, not even once has a president made me want to make a major life change. It's ridiculous.

A president can only be around for 8 years, max. Then a new one comes around. And in spite of what a president can do in that 8 years, it doesn't make sense to let it burn your nether regions. Yeah, it's fun for the keyboard commandos to toss insults back and forth, but life is short. I'd prefer to enjoy it and not let something that I can't control affect it.
It's likely been percolating for many years before they pull the plug, and those who do go through with it also have options that the rest of us don't have, like family or property somewhere else. This was the case for my friends.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:45 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post

Well the area I live in is oppressively religious and conservative anyways and will still be that way even when Trump is gone. I want to live somewhere more "liberal" as cliche as it sounds. I moved away to a major city after college and loved it but moved back home in 2012. I have regretted that decision since day one.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:48 AM

I have to say -- since Trump is office the Republicans are running more on being 'conservatives' than being Republicans. In fact they rarely associate with Republican -- it's all conservative.

Is that there way of disassociating from Trump -- because he's clearly not a conservative but a Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies