Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 10:52 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,990,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
For some odd reason, you apparently think you're refuting me, but you're not. I'm talking about the emigre; you're talking about the descendants.

I'll repeat, Melania is a woman with tons of money at her disposal, and apparently tons of time on her hands, yet she did nothing in any concentrated way to improve her language skills, not even when she was going to be in the public eye. We're not talking about your grandmother who had neither the time nor the money - nor the incentive - to take up a major study of English.
Why does she need to "improve her language skills" at all? Would you suggest that a person who grew up in the south needs to "improve their language skills" if they moved north? I mean clearly she speaks English in a fashion that makes her capable of getting through every day life with no issues. I'm sure she has other priorities in life like raising her son and managing her disaster of a husband, no need to focus on something that is working well for her other than Clarallel thinks its an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 10:56 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,440,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Why does she need to "improve her language skills" at all? Would you suggest that a person who grew up in the south needs to "improve their language skills" if they moved north? I mean clearly she speaks English in a fashion that makes her capable of getting through every day life with no issues. I'm sure she has other priorities in life like raising her son and managing her disaster of a husband, no need to focus on something that is working well for her other than Clarallel thinks its an issue.
Improving ones self all around usually leads to a higher quality of life.

Becoming a fluent and effective communicator is usually seen as a strength of a citizen of the world.

But since she does t run with us "usuals" of course she has better things to do with her time .

Old 05-09-2018, 11:01 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Because she sounds like she just got off the boat. It's not like she's too busy to learn to speak English, she's not out cleaning other people's toilets 12 hours a day, she's laid up in some classy digs without much of anything to do.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:03 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,286,221 times
It is definitely a weird-sounding initiative.

I really have nothing against Melania--curious how she can stand that bozo, but that's her problem.

I just have no idea what "Be Best" even means.

It's like if Nancy Reagan's movement had been called "Just No."

Old 05-09-2018, 11:08 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,873,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It is definitely a weird-sounding initiative.

I really have nothing against Melania--curious how she can stand that bozo, but that's her problem.

I just have no idea what "Be Best" even means.

It's like if Nancy Reagan's movement had been called "Just No."
Bingo.

It is an awkward phrase. What does it mean anyway?

Does it mean pressuring kids to be the best?

How does it relate to this anti-cyberbullying campaign? Or anti-bullying in general?

From what I can understand of what Melania is saying, she wants school children to ask someone to sit with them at lunch and inquire about their hobbies.

All righty then.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:09 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,833,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Because she sounds like she just got off the boat. It's not like she's too busy to learn to speak English, she's not out cleaning other people's toilets 12 hours a day, she's laid up in some classy digs without much of anything to do.
I'll tell you one thing. Her English is a helluva lot better than my Slovenian.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:10 AM

Melania's initiative is as awkward as Giuliani's relentless defense of Trump.

Neither one know what they are talking about and haven't taken the time to find out.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I'll tell you one thing. Her English is a helluva lot better than my Slovenian.
Are you claiming to be fluent in Slovenian?

Melania claims to be fluent in English, French, German, and Italian.

No clips of her speaking German, so cannot comment on that, but the clips of her speaking Italian and French to Italian and French children are limited to a few guidebook phrases such as, "My name is Melania." Then she quickly switches to awkward English while someone in the background translates.

Her English is awkward, and regularly grammatically incorrect. How she could be here for two decades and not speak any more fluently is somewhat of a mystery.

If team Trump didn't make a big deal out of "You're in America. Speak English," she would probably get by without any critical comments.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:56 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,324,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Are you talking about my post being nasty? Because if you are, I would like you to take a look at something.

I am *seriously* about to lose my cool here. I mean, I am absolutely *livid.*

^^^Do you see what I just did there, using asterisks instead of bold type for emphasis? Go back and read the rest of my posts, after I got accused of being "nasty."

Then, both you and WW can come back and apologize to me for totally misrepresenting my intentions.
I'll take you at your word that you didn't mean it the way I read it, BUT you can't deny that it was not an illogical leap given the fact the Mrs. Obama has often been referred to as a man on this site AND sarcasm is often enclosed in air quotes and asterisks. I do apologize. I could have/should have asked for your explanation first before assuming you are one of the posters here who constantly bash Mrs. Obama on her looks.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:01 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,094,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I suspect Melania cribs from the Obamas just to troll her husband.
That's a pretty interesting theory, very possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies