Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 08:24 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,983,058 times

Advertisements

In the early 80's my family (3rd generation Americans) were returning to JFK from St. Martin. My mother misplaced my sisters birth certificate while we were traveling. She had mine. When we landed in JFK immigration officers took both me and my sister away from my parents and further separated us. I was five she was 3. They asked me questions about my sister to confirm her identity. I remember clearly stating she was my sister blah blah... I was then put in a room alone. My mother says I was returned to my parents after an hour. Apparently, my sister (being 3 and alone) refused to speak to immigration officers. Would not open her mouth. She was away from us for 6 HOURS. I remember my mother crying and pleading but they said they could not release her until she talked. My uncle drove from Westchester to JFK with pictures of our family and her doctor records. They finally released her. We to this day do not know if she was offered water, food or a nap. She never did talk to them. She was in shock.
When we ask her today about the experience she has no recollection at all. I guess thats a good thing.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That has nothing to do with it. They are breaking the law and should stay and work to fix their own country.
These people are at the bottom of the pecking order. A story on NPR this morning said many can't read and write in Spanish, let alone English. "Work to fix their own country" is unrealistic in that sense. The people that can fix this violence situation are not the ones trying to emigrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I've asked this before, but, none of the Lefty-Progs has dared to answer:

If it was known that these illegal immigrants (once naturalized) would vote overwhelmingly for conservative candidates in state and federal elections, would you be so anxious to let them in to the US?
I wouldn't care. That's kind of crass to imply.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:26 AM

19,662 posts, read 12,255,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Okay, still doesn’t negate the fact that we need them here. Take them away and all we have left on construction sites are tweakers and convicts.
LEGAL workers, seasonal or otherwise. Also not true, my construction work is always done by Americans. One of my tree guys used a questionable helper so I won't use him again. We pay good money to the contractors, they can pay good money to their employees who should be legal citizens.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 AM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
If conservatives are so confident in their policy I look forward to the campaign ads suggesting such. Should make for good tv explaining why it's a good thing to rip children away from their parents at the same time as professing the good old family values they claim to support.
family values doesn't include sneaking into a country, identity theft, being part of an underground economy, skipping out on taxes and the entire menu illegal alien communities create.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,363,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I've asked this before, but, none of the Lefty-Progs has dared to answer:

If it was known that these illegal immigrants (once naturalized) would vote overwhelmingly for conservative candidates in state and federal elections, would you be so anxious to let them in to the US?
Don’t care. In fact, if Cruz’s bill had the proper backing and was feasible I’d love to see it pass. We need more immigration judges, processing asylum claims in 14 days is reasonable, keeping families together until their claim can be addressed is a good idea.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:29 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,846,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
And the irony is being separated from parents often cause long term damaging psychological effects that manifest themselves in future psychological problems and possibly criminal behavior. Since many immigrant kids will stay in US some or all of their lives, we will end up dealing with the long term consequences of the long term psychological problems that WE caused. But the Trump fanatics are too shortsighted to realize this. For more information, please read the book Romania's Abandoned Children. It is a book that delves deep into the long term consequences of separating children from their parents.
The trauma lasts a lifetime!

Quote:
I know what they are going through. When we were children, my two siblings and I were also taken from our parents. And the problems we’ve experienced since then portend the terrible things that many of these children are bound to suffer.
Quote:
Have you heard the screams and seen the panic of a three-year-old when it has lost sight of its mother in a supermarket? That scream subsides when mother reappears around the end of the aisle.
Nazis separated me from my parents as a child. The trauma lasts a lifetime

Old 06-20-2018, 08:30 AM

19,662 posts, read 12,255,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
These people are at the bottom of the pecking order. A story on NPR this morning said many can't read and write in Spanish, let alone English. "Work to fix their own country" is unrealistic in that sense. The people that can fix this violence situation are not the ones trying to emigrate.
Just what we need more of in the US?

Old 06-20-2018, 08:31 AM

35,122 posts, read 17,080,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
I am thinking about "entitled," people this morning. I had some hardships, as a little kid; but nowhere near what these young children are going through. When we have a person as our supposed leader acting like a 2 bit dictator, it is heart breaking.

I hope this mess at the border ends soon. Trump and his young and old cronies, need to stop and realize, that there are human beings on this earth, that have not had everything handed to them on a silver platter.

Trump has never worked for a living. He grew up under his father's arm. Anything that was overly hard for Donnie was quickly taken care of by his father.

There are plenty of good people that have been raised in these circumstances. However, once in awhile, along comes a nutcase, such as the Donald.

Now, what is going to happen to these special young children and their parents?

Migrants all over the world, fleeing for their children's lives and their own; people not accepting them is not humane. America should stand up and be a beacon, once again and show some courage and be an example of good, not evil.

Don't let Trump drag you down in the mud. Stand up and show your compassion. The way Trump is leading us, we may be looking for other countries to take us in, down the road. We need to look to the future. How do we want the future to look for our kids and their kids???
Party time! Open the door, let everyone in and time to rejoice? </sarcasm >

Old 06-20-2018, 08:31 AM

42,863 posts, read 26,331,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
LOL. Try telling that to the IRS.

Either you're not filing tax returns (crime) or you're supplying a fake SSN to the IRS (crime).
Now you are really struggling...Of course people who use a fake SSN don't file a tax return, why would they subject themselves to possible prosecution. The benefit to the US of this is huge in 2015 they paid 23.6 billion in federal taxes, much of that going to Social Security and Medicare which they will never benefit from. About half of them file tax returns but use an ITIN number rather than a fake social security number.

Want to change this? Want to keep illegals out? Put employers who hire them in prison! They are the magnet, not our beaches or amusement parks

Old 06-20-2018, 08:32 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,771,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
It is correct and justified indignation over an inhumane policy. Lewandowski's flippant reaction shows how dispicable the GOP has become. SEVENTY percent of Americans oppose this policy....it is nothing short of child abuse.
Womp....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies