Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:05 AM

31,071 posts, read 22,086,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
This is my favorite post I've seen on City-Data since joining 6 months ago. Bravo!

I'm in the same boat. Life-long moderate conservative. I am a reasonable, educated, rational person, the opposite of most Trump voters.

Trump cares nothing for family values, cheating on every wife he's ever had proves that. Trump cares nothing about the word of god, his own statements and policies about gays, Muslims, blacks, and Hispanics show that.

From you posts, you are definitely on the Left.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:07 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That's a great sentiment and I agree. But the "poster above" is full of it and is just trolling. I know plenty of small business owners and contractors who have illegal workers (usually via subs so they can skirt the e-verify law). They don't pay them $5 bucks an hour. All of them pay more than minimum wage which is 10 bucks plus here and usually a lot more. They hire them because they can't find enough legal workers. We have a major labor shortage in low skilled and trades positions in the boom cities and states and illegal labor is absolutely necessary to be able to stay in business.
Actually we hire undocumented workers because we can pay them much less not only in real wages, but also we do not have to contribute to Social Security, Medicare or unemployment insurance. We also do not have to follow safety regulations or worry about breaks or overtime. You are full of it by saying you know people who do it otherwise.

I continue to vote a full Democratic ticket each election because I know they will assure I have a steady stream of cheap labor. I feel sorry for the working class Americans who would love to have a job making $10 an hour, but that is just the way it is.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That's a great sentiment and I agree. But the "poster above" is full of it and is just trolling. I know plenty of small business owners and contractors who have illegal workers (usually via subs so they can skirt the e-verify law). They don't pay them $5 bucks an hour. All of them pay more than minimum wage which is 10 bucks plus here and usually a lot more. They hire them because they can't find enough legal workers. We have a major labor shortage in low skilled and trades positions in the boom cities and states and illegal labor is absolutely necessary to be able to stay in business.
Yep, from Construction businesses, to mom and pop Restaurants, to Hotels, they have become an integral part of many cities. Still doesn't mean we should give carte Blanche citizenship to everyone who is here illegally, which is the ultimate goal of the Democrat party, and their desire to be the only party.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:09 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Separating kids from parents is a deplorable act,hard to imagine the grief that comes with such a course of action. IMO if the result of zero tolerance is tens of thousands of kids locked up in detention centers perhaps it isnt working,Is this now the level of American values?
You don't get it, do you?

Those who are being separated are those who didn't present themselves at a BP checkpoint and asked for asylum. Instead, they were caught trying to sneak across the border.

How do you know that these kids even belong to the adults who brought them here? Some of them may have been trafficked. Are you okay with releasing kids back to adults who are traffickers?

Another poster posted this link which I, too, have posted previously. I suggest you read it:

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/06/18/...lerance-policy

Old 06-19-2018, 11:12 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Canada takes in 5-6 times that in each month.
Great! Let them become France.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:13 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Those who are being separated are those who didn't present themselves at a BP checkpoint and asked for asylum. Instead, they were caught trying to sneak across the border.

How do you know that these kids even belong to the adults who brought them here? Some of them may have been trafficked. Are you okay with releasing kids back to adults who are traffickers?

Another poster posted this link which I, too, have posted previously. I suggest you read it:

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/06/18/...lerance-policy
You mean the MSM is lying to us?! No way! You mean the story has already been settled on and repeated enough times that the truth will never sink in? You are really mean!

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

You don't get it do you?
There are not enough people to man the checkpoints and are people are being to told to come back another time. These people have travelled hundreds, in some cases thousands of miles with their kids seeking asylum. They have NOTHING. Where are they supposed to go?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.53353f31125d
Quote:

At the U.S. border, asylum seekers fleeing violence are told to come back later

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Actually we hire undocumented workers because we can pay them much less not only in real wages, but also we do not have to contribute to Social Security, Medicare or unemployment insurance. We also do not have to follow safety regulations or worry about breaks or overtime. You are full of it by saying you know people who do it otherwise.

I continue to vote a full Democratic ticket each election because I know they will assure I have a steady stream of cheap labor. I feel sorry for the working class Americans who would love to have a job making $10 an hour, but that is just the way it is.
I'm pretty sure you are just playing the Devils Advocate, but I know of few people who hire Illegals that can get them for $10 an hour.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:14 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I never said they should be used, I think you can pretty much cherry-pick the Bible and find references supporting any stance you choose to take.
I agree.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:15 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
You edited my post and changed the subject.

The subject was, Trump's hate speech against asylum-seekers is EXACTLY the same strategy used by Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, etc.

... and he's coming unglued because he is LOSING BADLY on this issue. Over 60% of Americans are against institutionalized CHILD ABUSE.
this is far from child abuse....there are in fact, though, lots of children who go to school hungry in the mornings, hence, schools are serving up free breakfasts to them.
There are children, in this country, homeless, living on the streets, eating garbage....no warm beds, no 3 meals a day, no blankets, no TV's....that is child abuse....there are children, who are being beaten to death by their parents...that is child abuse....

these kids that have been separated from their parents don't even come close to child abuse. The probably now have more then they've ever had before...including meals, a nice clean place to sleep, clean clothes, showers, tooth brush, toilets and medical care....you cannot compare the two, and by trying to do so, proves the idiotic logic behind that way of thinking.....sorry, doesn't work, oh and add medical attention to that list....

where has the outrage been all the while our own kids are suffering...where was the outrage when our own kids here in the states are going hungry, and grubby dirty, living in the streets?

Or didn't you know about that?

and then someone has the gall to ask, Are you Christian...whoever chooses to use that trump card, you better beware...not a real smart thing to do....and you just don't leave a question like that out in the cold, you ask them why you believe the way you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies