Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 04:15 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Part of the idea of property tax, which a lot of people forget, is to disincentivize hoarding, and keep land use as productive and efficient as possible. If no one ever had any incentive to sell their land, you would have low turnover and bad land use overall
this is a great response. But I just feel like people should be able to actually own their own shelter. But I don't have a good response to this beyond "I would like" because what you say is true. I feel like we should not tax the necessities of life-and shelter is one of them. But I see the issue that you bring up very clearly.

Maybe allow the first 1/4 acre that is owned and lived in by a person as being tax free. Because honestly.....thats not hoarding if you have to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 04:16 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,267,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I mean, I don't think the Founders would like the idea of having to pay the government a sum of money, in some places as high as $15K/year, for the privilege of owning their own house, and that if they didn't pay, the government could take their paycheck or even the house itself.
No, its rent. Don’t pay it, you will be evicted.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:20 PM

45,439 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I mean, I don't think the Founders would like the idea of having to pay the government a sum of money, in some places as high as $15K/year, for the privilege of owning their own house, and that if they didn't pay, the government could take their paycheck or even the house itself.
Maybe not, but they didn't seem to have a problem with property taxes since they predated the Revolution.

The History of Property Taxes - Tax Ease

Old 05-07-2018, 04:22 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Part of the idea of property tax, which a lot of people forget, is to disincentivize hoarding, and keep land use as productive and efficient as possible. If no one ever had any incentive to sell their land, you would have low turnover and bad land use overall
I'd consider that an antiquated way of looking at land. We need a lot of land to in fact be "left alone" so to speak for conservation purposes today. I see plenty of bad land use caused by property taxes. Like the big clearcuts that were done near my property to pay the taxes. That land will never be the nice forest it was previously. The good seed sources are gone, it's coming back as a raspberry and pin cherry thicket.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:24 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
All tax is theft. All tax is theft. All tax is theft. All tax is theft. All tax is theft. All tax is theft. All tax is theft.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:25 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Fine then, apply it to all property except a person's home.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:31 PM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
I dont like taxes in general, but stuff does have to be paid for. And as long as it has to be paid for, I prefer property taxes to income taxes. At least with property taxes, the person paying has some choice in the matter.

You can choose to live in whatever size home you can afford, and pay property taxes accordingly. I choose not to upgrade my home, not because I cant afford to, but because I am content paying the amount of taxes I am currently paying, and I do not want to pay more. So, unlike income taxes, at least I have some choice and some control over the amount of taxes I pay.

Unfortunately, my state income taxes are high, but they would be a lot higher if there were no property taxes because the state would have to subsidize all of the local expenses that my property taxes go towards.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:32 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,788,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
All tax is theft. All tax is theft. All tax is theft. All tax is theft. All tax is theft. All tax is theft. All tax is theft.
Maybe should you vote then, can't complain if you don't do anything about it.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:32 PM

50,385 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Of course not. The cost of living in a civilized society is determined by your elected officials.
People who pay $15k, or more for the same services as I pay $2k for, have the choice of either moving, or voting differently.
Do the folks getting f*d over get more services that I do? No. Maybe they even get less.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:33 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
But the roads and sewers and schools and police and fire departments and libraries and parks have to paid for somehow. If not a property tax, then what?

I understand the complaints about property taxes, but we're talking about a nexus here - paying taxes to pay for the services required for you to live where you do. After all, in any area, you can find broken-down neighborhoods, some even in this day and age without paved streets. How many people here choose to live in those neighborhoods? Both the property price and the taxes would be cheaper than your average ranchburger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies