Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 03:39 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,245,633 times

Advertisements

Yes, still a long way to go. But the Democrats are taking back this country one victory at a time.

Net neutrality clings to life in big win by Senate Democrats

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 03:44 PM

20,478 posts, read 12,402,260 times
sane....

snicker.... giggle...

the party riots and burning down cities.

sane...

they realy do think they are sane.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:47 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,534,291 times
"Net neutrality" is supported by both parties.

If the Democrats will allow Trump to sign the bill, a bipartisan telecommunications law that includes "Net neutrality" under the current Title I regulatory structure could be signed into law this year. They have been working on it in the Senate for some time. But will the "Resistance" allow for a law such as this to be passed, even with "Net neutrality" included in it? I hope so, but I would not bet on it.

As far as the vote in the Senate to overturn the new FCC regulations, that also has to pass the House, where it is not likely to even be voted on, and then be signed by President Trump, which is not happening.

This was in fact a show vote with no chance of advancing further. However, as I stated above, if the Democrats want to support a bipartisan telecommunications bill, with "Net neutrality" in it, that is something that can be done and passed, this year.

Last edited by Spartacus713; 05-16-2018 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-16-2018, 03:47 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,397,951 times
The Republicans will kill it in the house.

And yes this is the most sane rational choice, so of course the Republicans will kill it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
sane....

snicker.... giggle...

sane...

It cute how you are unable to discuss a topic.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
sane....

snicker.... giggle...

sane...

Sane: Let's save Net Neutrality, let's explore basic income, let's put corrupted White House officials in prison...

Insane: Obama is a Muslim!! Pizzagate!!! Hillary kill list!!! Mutant frogs are turning us gay!!! There is a deep state of FBI, CIA, MI6, Jason Bourne and Stormtroopers out to get the president!!

Tell me, which one is sane and which one is insane?

Old 05-16-2018, 03:52 PM

609 posts, read 304,096 times
Ceremonial solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post

I can assure you the problem is very real for those of us who do not live in #AlternativeWorld.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:55 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
"Net neutrality" is supported by both parties.

If the Democrats will allow Trump to sign the bill, a bipartisan telecommunications law that includes "Net neutrality" under the current Title I regulatory structure could be signed into law this year. They have been working on it in the Senate for some time. But will the "Resistance" allow for a law such as this to be passed, even with "Net neutrality" included in it? I hope so, but I would not bet on it.

As far as the vote in the Senate to overturn the new FCC regulations, that has to also pass the House, where it is not likely to even be voted on, and then be signed by President Trump, which is not happening.

This was in fact a show vote with no chance of advancing further. However, as I stated above, if the Democrats want to support a bipartisan telecommunications bill, with "Net neutrality" in it, that is something that can be done and passed, this year.
I don't think it is FULLY supported by both parties
After all it was Trump's appointed FCC commissioner who killed it in the first place--even after rampant efforts to compromise the public commentary by Russian trolls...
And anyone with a brain knows that the House will certainly not support a move like this so even if the Senate does put one together and pass it, it is symbolic only...
But that's ok too
Because November gives everyone with a cell phone and Internet access a way to vote on net neutrality

Old 05-16-2018, 03:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,097,922 times
That is good news, I rarely agree with the D's but this is one thing Obama got right.

Here is brief explanation of what net neutrality is.
  • Net Neutrality has nothing to do with free.
  • Net neutrality doesn't preclude your ISP from offering you different tiers of service.
  • Net neutrality doesn't preclude your ISP from charging you by the bit, byte, speed or any other measure of the level of service you receive. There is absolutely no limitations on what they can charge you their customer except for one....
What they are precluded from doing is charging you a different rate based on what sites and services you are using. they are also precluded for hindering access to those site and services.

Here is a simple analogy. If your ISP was the water company they could charge you by the gallon if they wanted or charge you flat rate, they could charge you for different pressures or have one pressure available. They could charge for any combination of the two. What they couldn't do is charge you more because you were using a Maytag washer instead of their preferred model. Nor could they lower the pressure or amount of water available to the Maytag because GE paid them for more water/pressure.

That is NN in a nutshell and anyone that tells you otherwise is lying.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,097,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post

The reason a problem does not exist is because the ISP's have either voluntarily or been forced through FCC action to adhere to the NN principal. There is no such thing as an internet that has not operated under NN, the rules under Obama only formalized what has existed since the internet started. Without those rules in place things could change drastically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies