Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 05:25 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Time to send another check to Planned Parenthood. Thanks for the reminder.
This is exactly what you should do. This is what everyone who believes they do good work should do.

For those who disagree, their tax dollars should not be spent that way.

I am of the age when birth control was illegal, and a doctor wouldn’t prescribe it without the husband’s consent. Abortion was illegal, so many women died getting illegal abortions. Planned Parenthod was a lifeline to women then, but it is past it’s shelf life.

It is no longer necessary, and there is no reason for government funding. Do you know they turn away women past childbearing age? No money to be made there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 05:59 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I would so put it to a vote. I remember when Obama was in office and Republicans were saying it. At the time I was offended. I'm not anymore. I would agree to it no matter who was president. Half the country is in complete disagreement with the other half and both halves detest each other. It's never going to get better ever.
Not really. There are plenty of people who aren't in lockstep on one side or the other. I disagree with you about many things, but I agree with you about a woman's right to choose/abortion, and your reasoning on this thread (except the part about splitting the country ).

I also think it isn't a man's business what a women does with her body, and that attempting to have a say is an attempt to assert a particular flavor of patriarchal control....and I say that as a man.

Quote:
Better to amicably divorce and save everyone the headache. Coastal states can grow their food locally and buy globally. Flyover states can do...whatever, I don't care what they do. And they can turn their states super right wing, abolish abortion, require religion, turn themselves into the Taliban. Because if that's what their voters want, have at it and leave the rest of us alone.
It might make you feel better to vent the above ^^^^^, but such a divorce is never going to happen.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:07 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This is exactly what you should do. This is what everyone who believes they do good work should do.

I am of the age when birth control was illegal, and a doctor wouldn’t prescribe it without the husband’s consent. Abortion was illegal, so many women died getting illegal abortions. Planned Parenthod was a lifeline to women then, but it is past it’s shelf life.

It is no longer necessary, and there is no reason for government funding. Do you know they turn away women past childbearing age? No money to be made there.
I can go you one better. When my husband went to get a vasectomy in 1984 after our 2nd child was born, I had to give MY consent, and we had to listen to a "what if" speech and wait 24 hours before the procedure.

We were both shocked at this. My husband and I were in our mid 30's, married 10 years with 2 children, and made this decision before we even got married.

Birth control was illegal in 1984? Maybe MALE birth control was/is?

Old 05-27-2018, 06:58 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:

No government funds are spent on abortions at Planned Parenthood (unless they meet Hyde Amendment criteria).

They do not turn away postmenopausal women.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/ge...omens-services

"Women's Services

Menopause Testing and Treatment"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I can go you one better. When my husband went to get a vasectomy in 1984 after our 2nd child was born, I had to give MY consent, and we had to listen to a "what if" speech and wait 24 hours before the procedure.

We were both shocked at this. My husband and I were in our mid 30's, married 10 years with 2 children, and made this decision before we even got married.

No, birth control was not illegal in 1984. There are laws concerning sterilization, primarily because of abuses in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steril..._United_States

Most laws concern obtaining sterilization for mentally incompetent persons.

What you and your husband experienced was probably a policy of the person doing the procedure, not a law.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:

No government funds are spent on abortions at Planned Parenthood (unless they meet Hyde Amendment criteria).

They do not turn away postmenopausal women.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/ge...omens-services

"Women's Services

Menopause Testing and Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

No, birth control was not illegal in 1984. There are laws concerning sterilization, primarily because of abuses in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steril..._United_States

What you and your husband experienced was a policy of the person doing the procedure, not a law.

There are waiting periods for people for whom the government is paying for the procedure.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:11 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh, good Lord ... Educate yourselves.
I have educated myself, hence my reply. Now, you try it.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:43 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Many have abortions because they can't afford another child. But yet you want them to have this child, that they can't afford. So they go on welfare, collect food stamps just to provide. But you want to eliminate or reduce these benefits as well. What are they supposed to do?

Old 05-27-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What are they supposed to do?
Not have sex, apparently. That's the only sure way to never have to make a decision about abortion.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:13 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Not have sex, apparently. That's the only sure way to never have to make a decision about abortion.
Yet men are free to have all the sex they want without any consequences of getting someone pregnant

Old 05-28-2018, 12:39 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Yet men are free to have all the sex they want without any consequences of getting someone pregnant
Perhaps where you live, but not in some other states. If the woman decides to have the baby, depends on public assistance, and can (and is willing to) name the father (and he is the actual father) he's going to be paying child support for 18 years...or at least is going to have judgements against him.

Unless the law has changed in California post 2007, if a married woman fools around on her husband and gets pregnant from the affair, the husband rather than the other man is legally responsible for the child . The reasoning...it's in the best interest of the child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies