Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 02:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times

Advertisements

Would people actually start saving money, instead of going into massive debt?
Would it stagnate the economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 02:16 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I would LOVE to see that happen in regard to my savings account.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
I don't know what the exact rate should be but it most certainly should not be what it is. I sold cars when rates were around 10%. We still sold them.

The low rates are low for one reason and one reason only. It's what Wall Street wants.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:40 PM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Do Savers Deserve a Risk Free Return? | Pragmatic Capitalism

We could offer better returns for simple minded savers, through central gov't policy. Either through tax favoring or money support of higher rates of return. China has done just that in the past. But right now our economy lacks general demands. So encouraging saving per se is somewhat counter-productive right now.

I see no other reason for high rates. Low rates are good for business, and they are good for the markets, 401-k's and housing. Huge middle class benefits. Of course even better for the rich.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:41 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
I have always saved a large portion of my income, no matter what the interest rates were. That's because I can invest and make a return when interest rates are low. Just as good as putting it in the bank and receiving an interest payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I
The low rates are low for one reason and one reason only. It's what Wall Street wants.
I agree. We are propping up some pretty hefty valuations.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:45 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Would anyone consider what is happening with our monetary system, healthy in the long term?
Is there a bubble gaining size, or is there a big enough hole to let off some pressure?

Old 08-04-2016, 03:00 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Can't do that... especially if it's enforced on the government debt.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - but I thought the debt was one of the main reasons interests rates are zeroed out.

I guess if we are the reserve currency, we still just print the money - but we would have to print much more of it - which would devalue the currency.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Can't do that... especially if it's enforced on the government debt.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - but I thought the debt was one of the main reasons interests rates are zeroed out.

I guess if we are the reserve currency, we still just print the money - but we would have to print much more of it - which would devalue the currency.
Yes, I need to amend my earlier statement.....we have artificially low rates for two reasons......Wall Street and politicians want it but in reality they are one in the same so I was still technically correct at first.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:13 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,122,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Do Savers Deserve a Risk Free Return? | Pragmatic Capitalism

We could offer better returns for simple minded savers, through central gov't policy. Either through tax favoring or money support of higher rates of return. China has done just that in the past. But right now our economy lacks general demands. So encouraging saving per se is somewhat counter-productive right now.

I see no other reason for high rates. Low rates are good for business, and they are good for the markets, 401-k's and housing. Huge middle class benefits. Of course even better for the rich.
This.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:16 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
8% interest rates would lead to an explosion in the national debt and a worst recession than the last one. I have aligned my interests with Wall Street's. That is what everyone should do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies