Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 03:52 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,144,620 times

Advertisements

The New York Daily News was highlighting a horrible statistic:

More students or teachers killed by guns than active-duty military deaths

https://www.chron.com/local/article/...d-12927833.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 05:24 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,962 times
So being surrounded by well trained gunmen makes you safer. Who knew?

Old 05-20-2018, 05:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post

apparently not gun grabbing liberals.

i would also note that the military has a few advantages that school students and teachers dont have, like body armor, their own gun to fire back, lots of actual training and field experience handling those guns, as well as fellow soldiers that have their backs.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:59 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
So, keeping guns in the hands of trained professionals makes you safer. Who know?

Old 05-20-2018, 06:03 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
The New York Daily News was highlighting a horrible statistic:

More students or teachers killed by guns than active-duty military deaths

https://www.chron.com/local/article/...d-12927833.php
Yep, that is horrible.

I posted one a few months back, noting that you're significantly more likely to be murdered by a gun in this nation than killed in a terrorist attack, but - as always around here - the far-right tried to shout down the facts and refused to consider the reality of the situation.

We'll waste fortunes worry about every mosque and foreigner, but apparently have no problems with countless irresponsible or dangerous yahoos with arsenals running around this nation. Nope. Almost every week there's another mass shooting, but we all supposed to ignore it and pretend "nothing can be done" even though every other developed nation on the planet has found solutions to this problem, and many of them still have plenty of guns.

It's a national disgrace.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:09 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Yep, that is horrible.

I posted one a few months back, noting that you're significantly more likely to be murdered by a gun in this nation than killed in a terrorist attack, but - as always around here - the far-right tried to shout down the facts and refused to consider the reality of the situation.

We'll waste fortunes worry about every mosque and foreigner, but apparently have no problems with countless irresponsible or dangerous yahoos with arsenals running around this nation. Nope. Almost every week there's another mass shooting, but we all supposed to ignore it and pretend "nothing can be done" even though every other developed nation on the planet has found solutions to this problem, and many of them still have plenty of guns.

It's a national disgrace.

you are right, it is more likely that one will be killed in the US by someone other than a terrorist. my issue is not with the stat you quoted, but rather what people want to use the stat for.

what is the first thing the gun grabbers call for when one of these school shootings happen? thats right, they call for more gun laws, as if 22,000+ in this country arent enough, they want to make it MORE illegal to shoot someone without cause.

and they want to make it MORE illegal for someone that is underage to have a firearm in their control.

these people are blaming the tool rather than the person wielding the tool. for instance my guns, like those owned by millions of others, have never killed anyone since i have owned them. yet the gun grabbers will stand up and call me a criminal just because i legally own firearms, and occasionally shoot a few paper targets. heaven forbid i should kill a few pieces of paper now and then.

and i agree that we do need to get to the root of the problem we have in this country of rampage killings. but i will remind everyone that the problem isnt the gun, its the person wielding the gun. lets find out why these people are shooting up the schools, and other places where large numbers of people congregate.

and once we find out WHY these people are doing these things, THEN we can figure out how to IDENTIFY these people BEFORE they commit these heinous acts, and at that point we can work to solve the problem. when a person says they want to become a school shooter, and law enforcement does NOTHING about the issue, then the problem goes deeper than just a few people that have issues.

something else to remember, these rampage killers, ALL of them, didnt just get a bug up their backside and suddenly decide to go out and shoot up what ever they shot up. they in fact PLANNED these things well in advance, and very likely someone knew about those plans long before they were carried out. also these shooters TOLD people of their plans, probably several times, PUBLICLY.

another thing i will note, every such rampage killing was done in a gun free zone. why did these people pick these targets? because they KNEW it is very likely that no one would be shooting back at them, so they would not have to worry about their rampage ending before they wanted it to.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Yay! Let's live in a para-militaristic society. That sounds FUN.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:58 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yay! Let's live in a para-militaristic society. That sounds FUN.
These folks would love that for some reason.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:08 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
I could not find the numbers and methodology; can you point them out?

There are far more students and teachers than active duty military. Also, the headline just states "...more killed", does that mean school shootings only? All deaths from firearms whether in school or not? Again, need to see what their methodology is.

Also, the military screens people for entry and remaining in service, people like Cruz and Lanza would have never been permitted to enter nor remain in the military. Also, the average age for a person in the military is more than the average age of a student, thus much less likely to commit not only gun violence, but any sort of crime at all.

Lastly, the greatest danger for military members are car wrecks, and statistically speaking, this is the same for students and teachers; they are more in danger of driving to work/school than being a victim of gun violence of any kind.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
These folks would love that for some reason.
From many of the posts Ive read on here, LOTS of folks would be happier under a full on police state!

I have to give credit where its due, all the brainwashing and conditioning has been a HUGE success! more and more citizens calling for a MUCH MORE intrusive Govt/ police/ military presence in society...to keep us safer of course. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies