Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 09:25 AM

39,872 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Homicide: the deliberate and unlawful killing of one person by another

A woman choosing to have an abortion has done nothing unlawful and has not killed a person. Doesn't make it lawful for someone else to choose to terminate a woman's pregnancy.
If that person is charged with HOMICIDE and if your definition is correct-then by logic, the fetus is a person. He wasn't charged with "unlawful termination of a pregnancy", he was charged with homicide.

In that case-why is it acceptable for a woman to murder her child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 09:30 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
I agree this “doctor” deserves a harsh sentence, no matter what you want to call the charges.

By the same token, making everything equal, if a man wants the fetus aborted and the woman does not, the man should have no financial responsibility toward the child.

While I could never live with myself knowing that I had a child out there in the world without my support, not all men feel the same. It is a pro choice argument. It would be the fairest way to deal with issues like this.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:39 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So if you have consensual sex with someone you somehow then have half ownership of their body? A proxy vote? So if I give you an STD do you have to get my consent to be treated for it?

And if you feel both parties have equal say on a pregnancy 50/50, although only one party has 100% of the risk, side effects, financial expense, and burden of the pregnancy/birth/abortion who cast the deciding vote.
Exactly. Men can have "equal say" with the fetus when they're carrying it in their organs for 4.5 months and suffering through half of the delivery.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:41 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If I got pregnant tomorrow...

I would need to take time off of work regularly for medical appointments, not my partner.
I would need to be on bedrest for months due to preexisting medical complications, not my partner (and any woman can unexpectedly find herself in that position).
I would overrun my FMLA time (unpaid), not my partner.
I would lose my job for overrunning my FMLA time, not my partner.
I take on the additional strain on my kidneys, heart, and other organs, not my partner.
I have the health risks associated with pregnancy and birth, including preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, potential c-section, tearing my body from vagina to anus, and/or death, not my partner.
I have the elevated risk of depression and suicide following birth, not my partner.

But yes, pregnancy is equally on the man. Sure. Ok.
Well, the man had fun one night, so that overrules all of that.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:58 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If that person is charged with HOMICIDE and if your definition is correct-then by logic, the fetus is a person. He wasn't charged with "unlawful termination of a pregnancy", he was charged with homicide.

In that case-why is it acceptable for a woman to murder her child?
Then change the charge from fetal homicide to unlawful termination of a pregnancy.
It does not change the fact that consensual abortion under certain parameters is legal and non consensual termination of a pregnancy is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies