Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 10:45 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times

Advertisements

Inappropriate behavior? What the hell is that?

If he sexually assaulted someone, or he sexually abused someone over whom he was in authority, then hold him accountable, by all means. But trying to ruin someone for something as vague, subjective and probably as unsubstantiatable as "Inappropriate behavior" is just over-the-top wrong.

This me-too movement has turned into an out-of control witch hunt and lynch mob, which itself needs to be lynched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 10:53 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
all it takes is the accusation. sad what our society has come to. holding judgement until more info comes out...

Old 05-24-2018, 11:05 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
“Time to get busy livin, or get busy dyin’.”

“Oh, Andy!”

Old 05-24-2018, 11:06 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,086,000 times
OP...if they are male and not homosexual...they are most likely a #metoo candidate. And if homosexual, they will be #metoo'ers for the guys.

Just how men are.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:14 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
all it takes is the accusation. sad what our society has come to. holding judgement until more info comes out...
Of course, many women would respond that for decades (even centuries) their accusing men with sexual offenses, up to and including rape, often led to.....nothing.

Yes, it is sad that nowadays a simple accusation by a woman against a man can result in harm (reputation, economically) to the man.

But, it was also sad that for years a simple accusation by a woman against a man was not believed, especially if the man was considered 'powerful'. If the woman's accusation seemed credible on its face, then those in power in Hollywood or D.C. would start the publicity machine going casting aspersions on the woman's character (of her having former lovers and hence a tramp; of dressing provocatively and hence a tramp; of being unemployed and hence a 'gold digger').

It is akin to the police brutality against black people. When I was a youth in the 1960s, it was common to read that some black suspect was killed while 'resisting arrest'. That members of the black community would argue that the deceased was not resisting arrest, and that there would often be witnesses to the contrary (themselves black) was futile.

With the advent of camcorders (think Rodney King) and then of cell phones with video capacity, and finally of recording devices on police vests, many started to see that black men were often being killed for literally 'being black', for offenses such as selling single cigarettes, walking down a bridge, what have you. The old defense of 'resisting arrest' was very much weakened.

I do wish that there was some mechanism in which 'truth' could be readily established in cases like this. My legal background and way of thinking abhors the thought that an 'accusation' is accepted as 'guilt'.

Alas! Presumption of innocence is the rule of law in court, not the court of public opinion.

I was one of those that laughed when Vice President Pence reported that he would never be alone in a room with a woman not his wife. I would now recommend this practice for those in Hollywood and Washington D.C. If nothing else, it may cause the man, if so inclined to make unwanted advances towards a woman, to rethink his actions with a witness present.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:19 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Inappropriate behavior? What the hell is that?

If he sexually assaulted someone, or he sexually abused someone over whom he was in authority, then hold him accountable, by all means. But trying to ruin someone for something as vague, subjective and probably as unsubstantiatable as "Inappropriate behavior" is just over-the-top wrong.

This me-too movement has turned into an out-of control witch hunt and lynch mob, which itself needs to be lynched.
Before being so outraged, maybe read the actual article, not just the tweet.

Quote:
But the job quickly devolved into several months of harassment, she told CNN. She alleges that Freeman subjected her to unwanted touching and comments about her figure and clothing on a near-daily basis. Freeman would rest his hand on her lower back or rub her lower back, she said.
Quote:
kept trying to lift up my skirt and asking if I was wearing underwear
Quote:
Freeman subjected them to unwanted touching
Is that all inappropriate enough now? I'm always suspect of these types of claims, but they have 16 people on record and others who didn't want to talk but identified who it was in question before being told the name.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:19 AM

31,068 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Oh noo. Hes one of my favorite actors and always seemed so pragmatic when intrerviewed. I hope its not true

Old 05-24-2018, 11:20 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
If he actually assaulted anyome, and this wasn't just a case of a guy trying to hook up, I hope he's prosecuted.

If not, though, I hope he stands up and says so, in as colorful language as he can dream up.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:29 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I was one of those that laughed when Vice President Pence reported that he would never be alone in a room with a woman not his wife. I would now recommend this practice for those in Hollywood and Washington D.C.
This should be standard for any man even in a Business environment. The risks of being alone with a woman is too high and should be avoided if possible.

False accusations and Risk reduction for any Executive should be priority.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:29 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Of course, many women would respond that for decades (even centuries) their accusing men with sexual offenses, up to and including rape, often led to.....nothing.

Yes, it is sad that nowadays a simple accusation by a woman against a man can result in harm (reputation, economically) to the man.

But, it was also sad that for years a simple accusation by a woman against a man was not believed, especially if the man was considered 'powerful'. If the woman's accusation seemed credible on its face, then those in power in Hollywood or D.C. would start the publicity machine going casting aspersions on the woman's character (of her having former lovers and hence a tramp; of dressing provocatively and hence a tramp; of being unemployed and hence a 'gold digger').

It is akin to the police brutality against black people. When I was a youth in the 1960s, it was common to read that some black suspect was killed while 'resisting arrest'. That members of the black community would argue that the deceased was not resisting arrest, and that there would often be witnesses to the contrary (themselves black) was futile.

With the advent of camcorders (think Rodney King) and then of cell phones with video capacity, and finally of recording devices on police vests, many started to see that black men were often being killed for literally 'being black', for offenses such as selling single cigarettes, walking down a bridge, what have you. The old defense of 'resisting arrest' was very much weakened.

I do wish that there was some mechanism in which 'truth' could be readily established in cases like this. My legal background and way of thinking abhors the thought that an 'accusation' is accepted as 'guilt'.

Alas! Presumption of innocence is the rule of law in court, not the court of public opinion.

I was one of those that laughed when Vice President Pence reported that he would never be alone in a room with a woman not his wife. I would now recommend this practice for those in Hollywood and Washington D.C. If nothing else, it may cause the man, if so inclined to make unwanted advances towards a woman, to rethink his actions with a witness present.
As I have said, Trump has done more for the women’s movement than all Democratic presidents combined.

This reminds me of how much society has changed in such a short time. When Morgan Freeman was the POTUS in that movie about the Asteroid coming towards earth, I remember Howard Stern made a joke, that while off color (no pun intended), was totally acceptable at that time. They were having a conversation about the movie and Howard said “You have a black president, that’s scary enough, what do you need the asteroid for?”

At the time, I just chuckled and life went on. Today, that joke would be career suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies