Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 11:59 AM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times

Advertisements

One of the biggest single benefits of President Trump's agenda, is that the Federal government is actually getting smaller. It'll have to get a lot MORE small to really have a significant impact, but this is a good start.

24,000 civilian bureaucrats off the payroll, at an estimated $80,000 annual salary each (actually many get a lot more), works out to more than $1.9 billion tax dollars saved. Throw in bennies, perks, and those weird "bonuses" (for what?), and it likely tops $2 billion.

That's civilians. The uniformed military, of course, will get bigger as it should. And hopefully Trump can defuse some of the conflicts around the world as he is defusing North Korea now (jury is still out).

But all in all, we are definitely heading in the right direction.

Now if he can just get those budget rescissions going, his will be one of the most successful Presidencies in U.S. History.

(How do you know it's so successful? The liberals have been screaming, wailing, cursing, calling names and basically falling apart ever since 9:00PM Eastern time, Nov. 9, 2016! )

-----------------------------------------------

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...00-under-trump

Trump Has Cut Federal Payroll by 24,000 Jobs
By Terence P. Jeffrey | June 1, 2018 | 9:19 AM EDT

(CNSNews.com) - The federal government cut 3,000 jobs in May and federal employment has now dropped by 24,000 since President Donald Trump took office, according to data released today by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Even as federal government jobs were declining, overall employment was increasing—as was employment in state and local government.

In April, there were 2,789,000 people employed in civilian federal government jobs. In May, that declined to 2,786,000, a drop of 3,000.

In December 2016, the month before Trump took office, there were 2,810,000 civilians employed in the federal government. That has now dropped by 24,000 to the current 2,786,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 12:04 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,061,280 times
Making progress on the swamp creatures.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:09 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
So don't complain when your Social Security checks are late or when no one answers the phone at your favorite Federal agency. Trump's simpleminded hatred of the Federal government is NOT a recipe for good government.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:12 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,210,249 times
Lower taxes and less govt. Yesssss.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:13 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Making progress on the swamp creatures.
You have no clue who the real swamp critters are do you?

It is true he is scaring off most of them -- Ryan, Gowdy, etc...

But that's our swamp critters -- the idiots we elect.

Not the office people given the jobs to carry out filing, typing, etc.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:14 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Interesting. So I opened up the article, which links to the Bureau of Labor statistics report that is issued monthly. Nowhere in the report can I find these numbers. Now, I'm not the most savvy when it comes to digging into those reports, but I can't find that data. I did a larger internet search on the topic and the only thing being reported on this is from right-leaning sites. Now, I'm not saying this is wrong, but I like to look at the data myself. I'd also like to know, if true, what are the facts on Trump actually cutting the jobs. I'm not aware that there has been a RIF on any agency and the hiring freeze was over a year ago. There have been no deliberate cuts to federal employment by the administration. There have been surges in retirements and with it taking 8 months or more to fill a position, this can give an incomplete accounting of employment.

Anyway, OP, if you happened to see the real numbers in the BLS report and can direct me there, I'd appreciate it.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:16 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
So don't complain when your Social Security checks are late or when no one answers the phone at your favorite Federal agency. Trump's simpleminded hatred of the Federal government is NOT a recipe for good government.

But there have been no personnel cuts or freezes so not sure what he has done.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:17 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
But there have been no personnel cuts or freezes so not sure what he has done.
He's scared off 24,000 people-- lol.
But you know what -- smaller govt. is good.

So we have a balanced budget yet?

Old 06-01-2018, 12:17 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,175,525 times
Well, one would have to be out of their mind to work for the fed gov at this point in time.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:20 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
One of the biggest single benefits of President Trump's agenda, is that the Federal government is actually getting smaller. It'll have to get a lot MORE small to really have a significant impact, but this is a good start.

24,000 civilian bureaucrats off the payroll, at an estimated $80,000 annual salary each (actually many get a lot more), works out to more than $1.9 billion tax dollars saved. Throw in bennies, perks, and those weird "bonuses" (for what?), and it likely tops $2 billion.

That's civilians. The uniformed military, of course, will get bigger as it should. And hopefully Trump can defuse some of the conflicts around the world as he is defusing North Korea now (jury is still out).

But all in all, we are definitely heading in the right direction.

Now if he can just get those budget rescissions going, his will be one of the most successful Presidencies in U.S. History.

(How do you know it's so successful? The liberals have been screaming, wailing, cursing, calling names and basically falling apart ever since 9:00PM Eastern time, Nov. 9, 2016! )

-----------------------------------------------

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...00-under-trump

Trump Has Cut Federal Payroll by 24,000 Jobs
By Terence P. Jeffrey | June 1, 2018 | 9:19 AM EDT

(CNSNews.com) - The federal government cut 3,000 jobs in May and federal employment has now dropped by 24,000 since President Donald Trump took office, according to data released today by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Even as federal government jobs were declining, overall employment was increasing—as was employment in state and local government.

In April, there were 2,789,000 people employed in civilian federal government jobs. In May, that declined to 2,786,000, a drop of 3,000.

In December 2016, the month before Trump took office, there were 2,810,000 civilians employed in the federal government. That has now dropped by 24,000 to the current 2,786,000.
You are right it’s not significant around .8%, where did the cuts occur? Also need to look at contractors who make up half the DOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies