Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is the most progressive?
North Carolina 116 32.04%
South Carolina 2 0.55%
Tennessee 18 4.97%
Georgia 103 28.45%
Alabama 6 1.66%
Mississippi 9 2.49%
Florida 108 29.83%
Voters: 362. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 08:04 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
As a black man,I have always felt more comfortable around other white Southerners as opposed to other regions.Particularly West Coast as they tend to want to show me how liberal they are.Yet almost everything they do culturally is the "whotest" of white. Like listening to Creed or watching Rain Dancing shows.lol
My white Southerner is a study in complex racial dynamics.Whites in the South listen to hip hop more than I do,eat soul food and generally are comfortable when being a minority among blacks.Doesnt mean they arent racist at times or have racist thoughts,but they are used to living close to blacks even though some communities are very segregated,
Examples are like Jimmy Carter,Elvis Presely.They grew up with blacks as close friends even though society made it acceptable,
Its still like that in small towns especially.

I have friends who are black who live in the mountains and their is a ridiculous amount of mixed raced couples and children,I have seen old white men say some questionable racist things then see then hugging their grandchildren or relatives in the store,
Surely racism is not the only progressive issue but it is the first and most telling sign that an area could be progressive.

I guess thats the point Aries is making.Just like in the South you have racist progressives in certain progressive /liberal areas people progressive ideas but many times lack progressive policies when it comes to racial issues such as police brutality.

(see bolded and underlined above)

Exactly this.

Quote:

I have friends who are black who live in the mountains and their is a ridiculous amount of mixed raced couples and children,I have seen old white men say some questionable racist things then see then hugging their grandchildren or relatives in the store...

Which mountains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 09:06 PM

923 posts, read 665,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
(see bolded and underlined above)

Exactly this.

Which mountains?
Blue Ridge.Calhoun/Dalton GA areas and also in the Smoky's when I visited friends in Johnson City TN

Old 07-21-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Blue Ridge.Calhoun/Dalton GA areas and also in the Smoky's when I visited friends in Johnson City TN
You saw lots of mixed couples and mixed children in those locales?

Old 07-22-2018, 11:48 AM

923 posts, read 665,549 times
Quote:
Yes.I met them in my friends family. Its 3 brothers with a huge extended family .Two of the brothers have children by white women,their Uncle was married to a Vietnamese woman,they had an older white aunt and SOO many freaking cousins of every hue.
You only used to see black guys and white females but definitely see a rise in white guys and black females now.
I dont know what the percentage is but its very noticeable.

I was justs looking up stats on this.
Black and white interracial couple is the least popular mix.Only 8 percent of all couples are interracial compared to 38% non white Hispanic and white only ,14% white and Asian.
Liberty County GA was the highest ranked place in the nation for white/black couples.Mixed race couples are popular on military installations as well.Liberty has Ft.Stewart

Old 07-22-2018, 04:03 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
The thing and point is that Boston is more similar, in so many ways, to Western or Upper Midwestern cities than it is to Eastern cities.
I think its record is more mixed on that front actually.

Quote:
The overwhelming "whiteness", white cultural aspects, and white power structure of the city: A la western cities.
There is some validity to that. Boston hasn't ever had a Black mayor, unlike SF, Minneapolis, Seattle, and Denver.

Quote:
A big part of its "minority", "non-White" population being Hispanic: A la western cities.
That's very common for Northeastern cities also. Boston's Hispanic population is 22%, higher than Philly but lower than Camden, Newark, NYC, Hartford, and Providence. Also, unlike Western cities and like Northeastern cities, Boston's Hispanic population is largely comprised of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans.

However, unlike other Northeastern and Western cities, the Hispanic population isn't as prominent in some ways.

Quote:
A big chunk, and now probably most, of its Black population being immigrant/non-native Black: A la Minneapolis.
Or a la NYC. And just like NYC, much of Boston's Black population is comprised of Caribbeans, particularly Haitians. Boston and Minneapolis are somewhat unique in being draws for one particular African group (Cape Verdeans and Somalis, respectively), but the link between Boston and Cape Verde is stronger and more historic.

Demographically I wouldn't characterize Boston as a "White city" but it does have a particular racial/racist history that's not exactly flattering. In that sense, it's somewhat worse than Denver, Seattle, Austin, etc. Maybe there are some parallels with Portland given Oregon's history of racism, but I'm not very familiar with Portland's history. Boston is almost a bit of a paradox in this respect as its history and current demographics don't exactly "line up."

Last edited by Mutiny77; 07-22-2018 at 04:14 PM..

Old 07-22-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think its record is more mixed on that front actually.

There is some validity to that. Boston hasn't ever had a Black mayor, unlike SF, Minneapolis, Seattle, and Denver.

That's very common for Northeastern cities also. Boston's Hispanic population is 22%, higher than Philly but lower than Camden, Newark, NYC, Hartford, and Providence. Also, unlike Western cities and like Northeastern cities, Boston's Hispanic population is largely comprised of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans.

However, unlike other Northeastern and Western cities, the Hispanic population isn't as prominent in some ways.

Or a la NYC. And just like NYC, much of Boston's Black population is comprised of Caribbeans, particularly Haitians. Boston and Minneapolis are somewhat unique in being draws for one particular African group (Cape Verdeans and Somalis, respectively), but the link between Boston and Cape Verde is stronger and more historic.

Demographically I wouldn't characterize Boston as a "White city" but it does have a particular racial/racist history that's not exactly flattering. In that sense, it's somewhat worse than Denver, Seattle, Austin, etc. Maybe there are some parallels with Portland given Oregon's history of racism, but I'm not very familiar with Portland's history. Boston is almost a bit of a paradox in this respect as its history and current demographics don't exactly "line up."

Some of your information/commentary on Boston is not up-to-date, misinformed, and/or is too general/"armchair":

1. The Boston Latino/Hispanic is more prominent than many realize--especially with numbers. Also, the Salvadoran population is huge--and fast growing (well, at least was until 2016).

2. Yes, NYC has a large Caribbean population--that's a given. If you read the Boston Racism Series I posted above you would notice that Boston's immigrant/non-native Black population is a very high percentage--particularly when compared to other Eastern cities like NYC. That's been a crucial element in Boston's unique Eastern racism.

3. When one talks of the Black population now in Boston, there is less and less relevance and connection to Cape Verdeans, believe or not. Also, many Cape Verdeans do not, erroneously, identify as Black. The Boston Black population is now heavily Haitian and other Caribbean.

4. I've mentioned this already--Boston does not exactly line-up with the mentioned White Cities--but it shares many, many similar traits, characteristics, cultural proclivities, etc. with them. Nothing is ever exactly parallel or or exactly lined up.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Yes.I met them in my friends family. Its 3 brothers with a huge extended family .Two of the brothers have children by white women,their Uncle was married to a Vietnamese woman,they had an older white aunt and SOO many freaking cousins of every hue.
You only used to see black guys and white females but definitely see a rise in white guys and black females now.
I dont know what the percentage is but its very noticeable.

I was justs looking up stats on this.
Black and white interracial couple is the least popular mix.Only 8 percent of all couples are interracial compared to 38% non white Hispanic and white only ,14% white and Asian.
Liberty County GA was the highest ranked place in the nation for white/black couples.Mixed race couples are popular on military installations as well.Liberty has Ft.Stewart
Yes, interracial marriage is common among military families.

And yes, there is definitely a rise in white male/black female couples and marriages.

I think all of this is a good thing.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I can believe it. I have a good friend who lives in Charlotte whose work takes him to Boone, NC often and he made mention of the high number of interracial couples there.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can believe it. I have a good friend who lives in Charlotte whose work takes him to Boone, NC often and he made mention of the high number of interracial couples there.
Yes, I can believe it as well.

In Boone: More white male/black female or more black male/white female? Or, equal parts?

Old 07-22-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Some of your information/commentary on Boston is not up-to-date, misinformed, and/or is too general/"armchair":

1. The Boston Latino/Hispanic is more prominent than many realize--especially with numbers. Also, the Salvadoran population is huge--and fast growing (well, at least was until 2016).
When I spoke of prominence, I wasn't talking about numbers but representation in civic life and other areas.

Quote:
2. Yes, NYC has a large Caribbean population--that's a given. If you read the Boston Racism Series I posted above you would notice that Boston's immigrant/non-native Black population is a very high percentage--particularly when compared to other Eastern cities like NYC. That's been a crucial element in Boston's unique Eastern racism.

3. When one talks of the Black population now in Boston, there is less and less relevance and connection to Cape Verdeans, believe or not. Also, many Cape Verdeans do not, erroneously, identify as Black. The Boston Black population is now heavily Haitian and other Caribbean.
That still makes Boston more like NYC and, to a lesser extent, Miami, than Minneapolis IMO.

Quote:
4. I've mentioned this already--Boston does not exactly line-up with the mentioned White Cities--but it shares many, many similar traits, characteristics, cultural proclivities, etc. with them. Nothing is ever exactly parallel or or exactly lined up.
I agree with your overall point but just disagreed on some of the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies