Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 09:56 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
please explain.
are we not discussing supposedly racist individuals on yahoo who you admit you've never encountered, since you never frequent that website?
Yes, we are discussing Yahoo! However, in that particular post, it was about people in general. It was about someone saying that "racism is human nature and there is nothing we can do".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 09:57 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post

I do not want to censor speech.
I want to comprehend WHY SO MANY TROLLS FLOOD YAHOO WITH HATE SPEECH!!!
With all due respect, you are asking a question for which the answer will have very limited utility, to the extent it may have any at all.

Here’s the question you really should be asking: “Why do I even go to Yahoo in the first place, considering I already know I’m going to be offended by all the hate speech I’m going to find?”

You’re going to get much more mileage out of that question (and its answer) than the one you’ve been asking.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:44 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm sorry that happened. But here is my question: What point are you trying to make?

There is a difference between having different ideas from someone else, and being hateful towards other people because they are of a different race than you. Something else. Being fat can be changed by some diet and exercise adjustments. Being of a certain race can't be changed.

Inciting violence is evil. Certain members of the New Black Panther Party have done that. And nothing some radicals have said has anything to do with that I'm talking about. Stick with what I'm discussing. I was discussing people inciting racial hatred and violence.
This happens on numerous websites. Unless the whole internet is policed I'm not sure what can be done.

Being fat cannot always be changed and there are many other -isms which go unchecked.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:05 AM

2 posts, read 481 times
If Yahoo shut down it's comment section it would lose it's core audience: Racist and bigoted Southern and Midwestern Baby Boomers It's the place the go to vent their hatred anonymously and Yahoo's calculated they're all they've got. Obscurity and irrelevance is all that awaits Yahoo one that losing generation dies off. Rush Limpballs won't fare too well either.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:15 AM

2 posts, read 481 times
Default This entire thread of responses is striaght butt hurt white pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Apparently so.

Why is the question? It is about as backwards and 1990's Internet as you can get.

I actually miss newsgroups.

rec.arts.disney.parks was a favorite.

I've been bullied by lefties my whole life and called the most vile names imaginable for my very benign political beliefs.

No there really isn't a difference between Free Speech and being hurtful because everyone has a different idea of what is hurtful. And even if it is hurtful, what if is true? If you weigh 400 pounds and are 5'7" I am sure it is hurtful when someone calls you fat.... but do you want to ban that?

I am not sure what "evil speech" is, but assuming it is something that incites people to violence against others (direct incitement as in "go lynch so-n-so") then it is already illegal and not free speech. The trouble is, many on the left these days want to call what was ordinary speech a decade ago ("homosexuality is a sin") hate speech that incites violence. It isn't.

Yahoo is MUCH further left than "moderately" left.

You love to shout and name call.

You make no distinction between someone agreeing with the comments and someone agreeing with a person's right to make the statement. The favorite rubric of the left right now if if you don't condemn something you therefore agree with it. If Roseanne tweets something racist I am supposed to go to Twitter and condemn her, otherwise I am racist too. (or maybe I am smart enough to know that everyone knows what she said was stupid and racist)

It is an unfair generalization, but African Americans DO have a higher incidence of births out of wedlock, DO have a higher rate of homicide within their own community and ARE involved in more riots than other ethnic groups. When someone points out those facts they are called "racist". We would be far ahead of the game to acknowledge those facts and work towards solving the underlying issues that make them so rather than denying the problem. It is the same notion that an alcoholic can't get better until they acknowledge they have a problem.

It is HILARIOUS that in the same post you can talk about how it is hate speech to focus on someone's race then focus on their race, age and gender.

That is a triple header of hate speech against groups.

Congratulations.
You poor, oppressed, sad little white man. So hurt by minorities his whole life. How pathetic and weak can one person be?

Old 07-15-2018, 05:01 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
Seven years ago this article was published, and it has gotten 100000x worse since. I personally give Yahoo credit for electing Trump and ushering in this new wave of open racism and sexism. The comment sections there are a nightmare now, overwhelmed with hate-filled trolls who will go ballistic on any article about someone of color or a female liberal.

The real question is...why? Why is it so bad at Yahoo? What can Yahoo do to fix the problem?
" I personally give Yahoo credit for electing Trump"

I wasn't aware Yahoo was in my voting booth making the selections for me.

In Fact I haven't heard ANYBODY say that.

Did you have to push Yahoo away from your voting booth so you could vote for hillary?

Old 07-18-2018, 04:12 PM

352 posts, read 324,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
No one is forced to read or watch anything. If I don't like TV shows I don't watch. (yawn)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Nobody forces anyone to log into any site. You go there on you're own free will. Don't like it, don't go to the site.
This is the perfect example of a lack of comprehension. I have to keep repeating over and over again, IT IS NOT ABOUT THE CONTENT, IT IS ABOUT THE WHY!!!!

I am not defining the term "hate speech" or complaining that it should be censored. I am asking why so many racist and sexist trolls flood Yahoo, even moreso than places where you'd expect it to be terrible.

There are many people in this thread who clearly lack the ability to comprehend the actual purpose of this thread. They are far too offended by the idea that "hate speech" is even a thing that exists because to them, you can say whatever you want. That is likely because they have never actually had a real conversation with a person of color. All the people in this thread complaining that it isn't a problem are obviously a homogeneous group, there is no denying that. They do not find it to be "hate speech" because they either agree fully with it, or they sympathize with the sentiment. Case-in-point, the response to my list of sexist/racist comments about Star Wars said "I agree with this statement", showing that they have that implicit bias and therefore would be unable to recognize the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies