Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many people are on your ignore list because you disagree with their politics?
None 104 81.25%
1-3 6 4.69%
3-7 3 2.34%
8+ 15 11.72%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 07:53 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
None. That's simply a cop-out from reading an alternate viewpoint, even if it strays into the personal arena.

Interesting though, was the number of people stating they don't use the "ignore" feature but then go on to state the reason why people are on their ignore list is ....blah, blah...and ...blah. "I don't, but when I do, it's because........."

That gave me an insight as to the thought processes of some.
Is it interesting because we actually read the question and responded appropriately?

Quote:
How many people are on your ignore list because you disagree with their politics?
I answered none. Because I've never blocked someone due to their political viewpoints. I have blocked people for ignorant, trollish behavior though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 07:54 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
None. That's simply a cop-out from reading an alternate viewpoint, even if it strays into the personal arena.

Interesting though, was the number of people stating they don't use the "ignore" feature but then go on to state the reason why people are on their ignore list is ....blah, blah...and ...blah. "I don't, but when I do, it's because........."

That gave me an insight as to the thought processes of some.
A number of people, myself included, stated we do not use the Ignore feature but there are posters we choose to simply ignore.

You can't see the difference?

Old 06-05-2018, 08:42 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
A number of people, myself included, stated we do not use the Ignore feature but there are posters we choose to simply ignore.

You can't see the difference?
Well given the question was fairly explicit in suggesting the use of the words "ignore list" in context of this forum usage, I would have thought the O/P wanted to know only those using the "ignore feature" of the board.......but..........??

I ignore the noise from my neighbours chain saw but didn't think that pertinent to the thread .....however, if you say so it must be so.

Perhaps you're correct in that the O/P wanted to know "how many people do you choose to ignore during your day."

Old 06-05-2018, 08:46 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
I literally do not know how one goes about putting some poster on the 'ignore' feature. Anyway, I see no reason to do so, even if I did know how. I guess I would not be surprised if any have me on ignore, since I strive for logical, factual and original posts.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:48 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
How many people are on your ignore list because you disagree with their politics?
Zero. If one is consistently rude or responds mainly with personal attack - I will ignore. That's about it.

Otherwise, I just skip over posts that appear to be trolling, etc.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
I don't have any because I mod some other forums here on C-D, but if I did, it would ONLY be people who are insufferably rude. I don't care if people agree with my political opinions or not.

I do get tired of people being constantly rude in general, though.

I would rather put people on ignore than argue with them all the time, then complain when they get an infraction or report the person they're arguing with where they were the one that started that particular argument in the first place.

Truth is, online stuff can get out of hand sometimes and people need to be honest with themselves... which is not always easy.

Better to just put a person on ignore if you find that you continually are getting into it with that person, even if you feel like it's not you, it's them.

Why put yourself and everyone else through all that?

Old 06-05-2018, 09:12 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,933,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I don't have any because I mod some other forums here on C-D, but if I did, it would ONLY be people who are insufferably rude. I don't care if people agree with my political opinions or not.

I do get tired of people being constantly rude in general, though.

I would rather put people on ignore than argue with them all the time, then complain when they get an infraction or report the person they're arguing with where they were the one that started that particular argument in the first place.

Truth is, online stuff can get out of hand sometimes and people need to be honest with themselves... which is not always easy.

Better to just put a person on ignore if you find that you continually are getting into it with that person, even if you feel like it's not you, it's them.

Why put yourself and everyone else through all that?
Some people take all this waaaaay too seriously. It's a discussion on some frigging backwater Internet forum. Need to keep some perspective.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:15 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I don't know how to put anyone on my ignore list

I also don't know how to put multiple quotes in my reply.
I don't, either. One day, I will try to figure it out.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:16 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,127,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I have a few, but it's not solely because I disagree with their politics. It's usually because they suffer from diarrhea of the keyboard.
Nice one!

I have a plethora of ppl on my ignore list because so many ppl are just trolling or spouting rude or ignorant comments, partisan or otherwise. You know who they are by looking at their low reputation to posts ratio. My time on this board is so limited that I want to spend it actually reading substantive posts and not have to weed through ignoramus/dumb comments.

Last edited by kimchee; 06-05-2018 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-05-2018, 09:21 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Is it interesting because we actually read the question and responded appropriately?

I answered none. Because I've never blocked someone due to their political viewpoints. I have blocked people for ignorant, trollish behavior though.
Good point. That sounds like me, as well. Not many on that list, but that's how most of them got there. Well, that, and a couple who just post the same rants over and over. That's not the same thing as avoiding different viewpoints, because when you've read one of those rants, you've pretty much read them all.

If I avoided people due to their political views, my friends list would be very, very different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies