Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 10:57 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
My position is simple.

If you offer a service or good to the public, you are subject to the laws of the state in offering it on a nondiscriminatory basis. You are not allowed to deny that simply because of my ascribed characteristics or simply who I am.

Trying to frame this with the idea that offering a product or service on a non-discriminatory basis is coercion, theft or confiscation is intellectual dishonesty and sophistry. And strengthens the case that we need civil rights laws in the first place.
This is why people are getting frustrated. You claim we're the sophists, but you're just asserting that people aren't allowed to deny service based on who you are, and that's the law so you're subject to it. That's not logic and reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 11:07 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
My position is simple.

If you offer a service or good to the public, you are subject to the laws of the state in offering it on a nondiscriminatory basis. You are not allowed to deny that simply because of my ascribed characteristics or simply who I am.

Trying to frame this with the idea that offering a product or service on a non-discriminatory basis is coercion, theft or confiscation is intellectual dishonesty and sophistry. And strengthens the case that we need civil rights laws in the first place.
So "because a law says so"

Does this sound coercive? A gang (government) telling a business owner that they must provide a good or service or it will send gangsters (government police) to kidnap (arrest) and rob (fine) the business owner.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:18 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
It's the law...just following orders...

Sounds familiar, eh my fellow freedom fighters?

Old 06-18-2018, 12:46 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Show proof your silly little fantasy is going to happen. Is it because the white devil will rise up against minorities and they wont have a place to go? Your bigotry is disgusting.
Proof? It's already happened before. Go read about Jim Crow.

And making fallacious accusations, claiming that I "hate White people" pretty much shows me how intellectually dishonest you are.

Quote:
You don't get to redefine and ignore rights. That was the trouble in the first place. When you refuse to see the truth, you wont find it.
Well, it is unconstitutional to refuse someone service in places of public accommodation based on race. I'm not redefining or ignoring anything. And none of that was the trouble in the first place. The trouble was the attempt at re-establishing a racial social order that is, Jim Crow.

Quote:
And? So?
Race/ethnicity is something your born with. Behavior is something you choose. There is a point in throwing someone out if they are being unruly. There is no point in throwing someone out or refusing them service because of their race/ethnicity, something that cannot be helped.

Quote:
It makes you immoral and that's not fine. You actually think forcing your morals on others using threats is actually moral? hahahaha
Actually discriminating against others based on race is morally wrong. It is a more threatening behavior than what I'm actually doing. And if you think it isn't wrong, then you are the one working in moral bankruptcy.

Quote:
Are you going to deny the FACT that people back in the day thought it was immoral for races to mix? Are you going to deny that those people, who are doing the exact same thing as what you are doing, didn't think they were being moral?

The best part is you wont answer that question. You'll run from it like the plague.
No, I do not deny that fact. So what? I'm not doing the same thing those people are doing. Those persons were attempting to keep a racial social hierarchy in place. It is one thing if you personally will not racially mix. However, preventing racial mixing among others was about keeping a racial hierarchy in place, it was about "those people are of that race and they are inferior".

Refusing people service because of their race is the exact same thing as making interracial marriage illegal. It was all about being racist, it was all about the racial social hierarchy. I am trying to prevent the return of such things. So there is a big difference between what I'm doing and what people back then were doing.

By the way, I answered the question. You said I wouldn't answer it. You said I would run like the plague.

Quote:
Show proof that will happen. Go ahead I'd really love to see you defend this fantasy world whereby so many people are denied services. You can't because it's impossible to make that argument while being honest.
We have a chapter in this country's history when this happened. Much of the USA's history leading up to the 1960s.

Quote:
And quit acting like you care about Irish and white people when you obviously don't.
Irish people were being discriminated against. My point is to make sure NO ONE gets discriminated against. I do not care what race or ethnicity you are. However, there are plenty of people who do think in such bigoted ways.

And the fact that you said "And quit acting like you care about Irish and white people when you obviously don't" tells me that you do think in terms of race. The only conclusion I can gather is that you think that not being able to refuse service to someone based on race is an attack on White people. If you really think that way, then you are part of the problem in this country, and not the solution.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
My position is simple.

This is true.

Some people want to be able to discriminate. Some people have a disdain for people of a certain race or ethnicity. At this point, this is not about a difference of opinion. It is a difference in moral standards. Some people just doing have any moral standards. Some people want to be racist and not suffer for it.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:07 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is true.

Some people want to be able to discriminate. Some people have a disdain for people of a certain race or ethnicity. At this point, this is not about a difference of opinion. It is a difference in moral standards. Some people just doing have any moral standards. Some people want to be racist and not suffer for it.
So you force your version of morality on people who dont think like you with a gun?
Everyone discriminates (yes even you) and for their own reasons. Violence isn't the answer (assuming there is one).

Old 06-18-2018, 01:08 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
As what groups one is employing from, if they don't get along, it's going to be bad for business. It's bad enough when people that are supposedly from the same group have disharmony.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So you force your version of morality on people who dont think like you with a gun?
Everyone discriminates (yes even you) and for their own reasons. Violence isn't the answer (assuming there is one).
We don't need force via the gun to enforce what it right. We have something called lawsuits to solve that problem. The idea of force via the gun is moot. I will say this. Sometimes, in order to enforce what is right, force is needed. Now, the gun is not needed in this case. However, there should be some punishment for racial discrimination, period.

I don't care if everyone discriminates. It should never be tolerated, ever. If you take issue with that idea, too bad.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:18 PM

1,683 posts, read 811,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Seriously, other than trying to drive a racial divide, why make such an asinine claim. There are 326M people in this country, are you HONESTLY saying that the majority (50.1% or 163M) people want white supremacy? How much more ridiculous can one get?
Everybody knows the correct percentage is 46.4%

Old 06-18-2018, 02:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Yes if appropriate They should — and should be able to fire them, give them bad grades, expel them, arrest them, and if they try to kill you— shoot them —but it does not work that way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies