Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 08:29 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times

Advertisements

Personally, I like to live and be around people that are different than me.
I think that there is beauty and strength in diversity.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:32 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Disregarding the blatant racial undertones in the OP, I will point out that amenities follow interest and interest follows amenities. If my kids like to swim competitively, I’m going to seek out a town with a robust program of youth swim teams and pools. I’m not going to plant myself in an area where I have to drive 30 minutes or more to get them to practice. Likewise, if I’m an aspiring jazz musician, I’m going to seek out an area that caters to pickup jam sessions, not a cabin in the mountains an hour from civilization.

Last edited by randomparent; 03-03-2019 at 08:45 AM..

Old 03-03-2019, 08:33 AM

334 posts, read 227,329 times
All of the above.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:49 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,082,290 times
My big fear as I get older is being stuck in an assisted living facility and having to have dinner and lunch with a place full of people with opposing views on government. Archie Bunker types who worship a politician or party..

I have spent a lifetime surrounded by relatives, friends and neighbors who have different views. That's a blessing.

It's the people who believe the opposition is evil and hates America. I would rather die penniless and alone than live among them.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:54 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
My two residences are in Northern NJ and The Hamptons, so being a republican, I clearly dont mind living around people who dont think like me. Though I am socially liberal, so maybe that makes it easier. A person’s religion makes no difference to me, though I tend to avoid people who talk about relgion a lot, even my own religion. Because of the socioeconomic realities, I tend to be around a lot of people “who look like me”. But at the same time, some of the people I consider to be my closest friends, do not.

So I think there is a difference between people I “live around” vs people I am friends with. I prefer to live around people with a similar socioeconomic status, and I prefer to be friends with people with similar interests as me.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:01 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I'm a white atheist female. If I was around only other white atheist females life would be boring. I love diverse cultures and all of the good eats that comes along with it. My only criteria would be that you not be a rectum. Haters belong in a corner with a dunce hat on. I have two really close friends of color, one is married to a white man. I have a whole Filipino family and we're the minority in their big family. Their parties are the best. I have an Hispanic family with three children being raised by an Aunt, Grandmother and single mother. There is more love in that house than there was in a lifetime when I was growing up. Our Catholic friends were over last night and we were at her father's funeral two weeks ago. They're very Italian and very Catholic, yet, we love each other and that was about the biggest family I've ever seen. Something I've always wanted and never had. One of my closet friends is a dwarf with a heart bigger than the whole outdoors. We've been friends for over 20 years. We've adopted a Hindu immigrant family with a 6 year old that we both adore. They celebrate all of the American holidays with us, and it was my great honor to light one of the candles opening their harvest (Indian Halloween) celebration. We were the only white people at the festival and the 6 year old was performing. It was important to her that we be there. We are the closest thing to family that they have here and we were treated with respect and felt very much welcomed at their celebration. I was thanked for lighting the candle. One of our friends is transitioning from male to female. She was worried that it would end our friendship. Um no. We are who we are on the inside, and everyone deserves to be treated as a human being regardless of skin color or belief systems. Yes even the haters, but they're soon banished to the outskirts of my universe. Would I feed them if they were hungry? Yes. Would I help them if they were cold and stranded on the side of the road? Yes, but they would not be allowed into my life.

My life has been infinitely richer because of the diversity. Did I mention the food? Love is love whether it's from this crazy black cat sitting next to me now that won't let me finish typing, or if it comes from the heart of a person with a different skin color. Why not embrace that?

Old 03-03-2019, 10:53 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Racial diversity does not equal cultural diversity. People are cleary are confused.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:11 AM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Looking at a previous thread, Felt this was a good follow up to it.
Is it better to be around the same race? Or like minded people? For example, a geoup of people who enjoy cars or gaming, or music. But you might be a minority in terms of race within that group.
It's a false choice. People who think like me will be members of my race.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:41 PM

999 posts, read 553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I'm a black atheist conservative veteran, hardly anyone is likeminded like me.
I feel this so much. I'm a mixed-race, childfree, liberal, pro-choice woman who believes in God. I don't really fit in anywhere.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:44 PM

293 posts, read 121,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Looking at a previous thread, Felt this was a good follow up to it.
Is it better to be around the same race? Or like minded people? For example, a geoup of people who enjoy cars or gaming, or music. But you might be a minority in terms of race within that group.
Certainly don't care if they look like me
Not all that worried that they are like-minded (not in terms of cars, gaming and music at least).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies