Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 03:37 PM

27,622 posts, read 28,714,640 times

Advertisements

Nobody knows what to make of Asians.

Asians are the colored people that nobody wants to talk about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 03:48 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,768,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
They (being private) want what they want. And that includes not a thousand of the same thing.
Asians are the "same thing"? They all look the same, huh?

Old 06-16-2018, 04:01 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,822,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Asians are the "same thing"? They all look the same, huh?
A place like Harvard has the entire US to draw students from. They have a limited number that they can offer acceptance to. So they look for diversity in every way possible. Its their choice, not mine or yours.

There are other universities though besides Harvard, a person should apply to several, not bet the farm (so to speak) on only one. I mean, its not the end of the world if you aren't accepted at a certain university.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:01 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,910,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Nobody knows what to make of Asians.

Asians are the colored people that nobody wants to talk about.
Racially some viewed East Asians as honorary whites. I think some still hold the same sentiment.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:09 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Their skin color is the same as yours for the most part.
Exactly.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:10 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,768,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
A place like Harvard has the entire US to draw students from. They have a limited number that they can offer acceptance to. So they look for diversity in every way possible. Its their choice, not mine or yours.

There are other universities though besides Harvard, a person should apply to several, not bet the farm (so to speak) on only one. I mean, its not the end of the world if you aren't accepted at a certain university.
They already applied to other universities. As someone mentioned above, UC Berkeley, which does not have racial profiling, has over 50% Asian students.

However, we all know Ivy schools especially Harvard have a big impact on American society, so many good Asian students do not want to miss it. Also, Harvard has 26% Jewish population, way overrespresented than Asians. Why not cut their quota first?

Moreover, "Asian" in this context is a broad term covering Chinese, Japanese, Kazakhs, Indians, Pakistanis, Filipinos, so Asian students are already very diverse.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:12 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,586,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Exactly.
Are you in support if removing Affirmative Action?

Old 06-16-2018, 04:19 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,887,950 times
Asia, just what does it entail?
30% of the our worlds land mass and 60% of population. China and India alone make up 37% of the world population, how many students from India are there?

Asia is so vast in area, population, and cultures. From Saudi Arabia to Japan, Indonesia to Russia.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:26 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,822,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
They already applied to other universities. As someone mentioned above, UC Berkeley, which does not have racial profiling, has over 40% Asian students.

However, we all know Ivy schools especially Harvard have a big impact on American society, so many good Asians students do not want to miss it. Also, Harvard has 26% Jewish population, way overrespresented than Asians. Why not cut their quota first?

Moreover, "Asian" in this context is a broad term covering Chinese, Japanese, Kazakhs, Indians, Pakistanis, Filipinos, so Asian students are already very diverse.
So? You get into Berkeley but not Harvard? Go to Berkeley, especially if you are into engineering, its a good choice.

I have no idea why and/or how Harvard chooses students. Or Stanford for that matter. Or MIT. A person could apply to all 3 of those and only be accepted at one of them. I've read that has happened. Why is that?

Like I wrote, it isn't the end of life to be turned down, just move on.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If a man can self identify as a woman, why can’t simeone self identify as a different race?
You can. Just not as MY race!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies