Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 08:17 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,227,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
To be clear I agree with you mostly. The Asian economies decided a long time ago that in order to be the best, they were going to do what ever it takes to get there. It's the same with me, I'm self employed and if I want to be more of a success than my competitors, well I'm going to do whatever it takes to be better.

I'm going to work harder, have competitive pricing, a better product etc.

It's no different.

The reason companies take their business elsewhere to employ people elsewhere is two-fold.

1) Our corporate laws are set-up so that corporations HAVE TO make the most amount of profit they can for their shareholders. It's the law.

2) Other countries, in order to get a piece of that corporate money, have out done us by offering cheap labor and tax havens.

One small thing we can to do to bring back those jobs is to make imported products (that used to be made here in the US) as expensive as it would cost here. If that takes a 3000% tarriff to make it happen, well then I'm for 3000% tax increases. China did whatever it takes to get the business, I say we do whatever it takes to get it back.

I'm also for a complete re-writing of corporate law in this country, one where lobbies don't exist, but that's just crazy talk.
Because they forgot what the Stock Market was created for... It was NOT created to break records every 3 months.
It was designed so people could in vest in companies, first for "stability", then "research and development" and 3rd for Managed Growth, and 4th for earning a profit over a span of time.. which means "years', not every three months trying to break a record, and Not to OVER INFLATE Stock values, and then borrow against the Fiction. and Not to play a Merger and Acquisition Game.

People like Warren Buffett has been trying to tell that to people for the longest time, but they don't listen!!!! He also said, "REVIEW the pay check roster of EXECUTIVES", when the executives are overly compensated and give massive volumes of stock, then investors should be wary. People ignored that too.

Company president once ran companies from the inside for the benefit best for the companies stability, and managed growth. The advent of the CEO, was/is a disaster, and to compound the disaster, the CEO became the Chairman of the Board!!! "Public Traded Companies became nothing more than "Fleece and Greed Inc"... by what ever name the company many have once had, is nothing but a Logo to fleece and dupe the people. The integrity and quality standard IS GONE !!!

Stock traders will say and do anything for a commission, and they get paid whether the investor win, loose or draw..... hedge funds, are nothing more than playing both sides against the middle, and ripping the foam off the top.
Derivatives is nothing more than trying to turn a dollar to produce 1000 %, by fragmenting and over inflating the fragments.

Quote:
I'm also for a complete re-writing of corporate law in this country, one where lobbies don't exist
I'm 100% with you on the abolition of lobbyist!!!!!

Independent business people should not have the vile of such crushing their capability to do fair and quality equitable business.

I am for "Regulatory Governance"..... !!! That IS NOT dictated by Lobbyist!!!

When and as society become more "business literate" and "develop better understanding of "financial matters in a system of capitalism" and know that it is the means of monetary process, that was designed to give a fair chance to all, within a Democratic Society, that is govern by a Republic Process of Representative Governance. It will take an "educated population" to be wise in their vote, but first they have to be informed and not led by "advertising drama antics"... and actually know the issue, and learn the facts, and know what is the integrity and character as well as what is the "dignity and know what is the regard for and of humanity within the candidate, before they cast a vote.

AMERICA IS IN DESPERATE NEED OF "CIVICS EDUCATION" AND "FINANCIAL LITERACY" IN A MONETARY SYSTEM OF CAPITALISM....

Last edited by Chance and Change; 09-17-2018 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 01:44 AM

225 posts, read 150,315 times
Quote:
Not if it means bringing back industry to our shores. I'm all for it, I'd even pay more to have the steel workers back in their factories.
+1

Old 09-18-2018, 01:49 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
I think if we tax them enough, sooner or later some of the Companies that use slave labor will have to reconsider if it's really worth it to them to use slaves anymore. That would be my "dream" of bringing back those jobs to America. Tax the crap out of them.
They are not taxed. Its the American consumers that are taxed by this.

"slaves"? Workers in China make far more than far poorer Asian countries. Can you compete with 40 cents an hour Bangladeshi workers?

Old 09-18-2018, 03:18 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Dunno. This is a massive escalation, and thats what I would think too.....but the last set didn't seem to harm them much. Maybe the scale of these will make it different though.

The massive escalation happened when we ended up on the receiving end of a four to one trade deficit.

China has everything to lose and little to gain.

The US, in contrast, has much to gain.

In fact, it's hard to see a way the US doesn't come out a winner.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The massive escalation happened when we ended up on the receiving end of a four to one trade deficit.

China has everything to lose and little to gain.

The US, in contrast, has much to gain.

In fact, it's hard to see a way the US doesn't come out a winner.
Its worth pointing out that we have a five to one trade surplus with Hong Kong, where a lot of trade from China go through, so when including Hong Kong we only have a three to one trade deficit with China. While we have a six to one trade deficit with Vietnam for example...

Why do Japan and Germany have big trade surpluses with China? China's surplus with the world is only a little more than 1% of GDP. Lots of countries have surpluses of 10% or more.

Since there are hardly any Chinese companies operating in America, while American companies have hundreds of billions in sales in China, what happens if China decides to go after US auto companies for example? Will Michigan and Ohio get behind Trump when US auto manufacturers go bankrupt?

Old 09-18-2018, 04:55 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45555749

200 Billion more in tariffs on China ratcheting up the tradewar. So far the only effect from the prior ones has been to increase the trade imbalance. But honestly, does anyone else think this is just more chaos to distract from Mueller? I think Trumps going for maximum distraction before attempting to fire him. I don't think its going to work. I feel like we're coming to the end. Could be wrong, but the flailing seems to be increasing.
Trump wants to play to his voters before the midterms, in order that he can claim some form of succes and a trade victory in relation to China.

The same if true of Europe, where he wants a quick trade deal before the midterms, which will probably based on a few specific items, he can then announce some kind of trade victory over Europe.

That's how Trump supprters minds work, indeed they think everything he does is winning and a victory, when in fact the reality is very different, and a lot of this is largely based on Trump's own short term political point scoring rather than any long term US economic plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico

Brussels and Washington believe they have found a recipe for a speedy transatlantic trade deal: Think small.

U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer is pushing to “finalize outcomes” with the EU by November, when America will hold critical midterm elections that will determine President Donald Trump’s ability to govern. The EU has agreed to push for this “early harvest.”

It is increasingly clear that severe differences over cars and farming mean a mega deal will have to wait. Instead, any near-term deal will focus on regulatory cooperation on topics such as car blinkers, cosmetics, insurance and driverless vehicles.

Still, even that mini-deal is attractive. Trump wants a success story for the impending elections, while Brussels wants to create goodwill that will stop Washington following through on threats to impose higher tariffs on the European car industry.

A new approach to EU-US trade: Less is more – POLITICO

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-18-2018 at 05:04 AM..

Old 09-18-2018, 05:22 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times
Quote:
To be clear I agree with you mostly. The Asian economies decided a long time ago that in order to be the best, they were going to do what ever it takes to get there. It's the same with me, I'm self employed and if I want to be more of a success than my competitors, well I'm going to do whatever it takes to be better.

I'm going to work harder, have competitive pricing, a better product etc.

It's no different.

The reason companies take their business elsewhere to employ people elsewhere is two-fold.

1) Our corporate laws are set-up so that corporations HAVE TO make the most amount of profit they can for their shareholders. It's the law.

2) Other countries, in order to get a piece of that corporate money, have out done us by offering cheap labor and tax havens.

One small thing we can to do to bring back those jobs is to make imported products (that used to be made here in the US) as expensive as it would cost here. If that takes a 3000% tarriff to make it happen, well then I'm for 3000% tax increases. China did whatever it takes to get the business, I say we do whatever it takes to get it back.

I'm also for a complete re-writing of corporate law in this country, one where lobbies don't exist, but that's just crazy talk.
I agree corporate law should be rewritten.
Customers, not shareholders should be number one.
When our country was at its peak in the 50s, the majority of business were not beholden to shareholders and wall street.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:27 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
They are not taxed. Its the American consumers that are taxed by this.

"slaves"? Workers in China make far more than far poorer Asian countries. Can you compete with 40 cents an hour Bangladeshi workers?
Which forces us to think about where we spend our dollars. If a pair of sunglasses from China suddenly costs $899 and you can buy the same pair of glasses here made in the USA, for $599, who wins?

Nope I cannot compete corporately. That why we need to even the playing field with tarriffs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides

Old 09-18-2018, 05:36 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,653,641 times
I'm buying up all the cheap Chinese junk while I still can. Then after the close of trading it's all going on eBay.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Which forces us to think about where we spend our dollars. If a pair of sunglasses from China suddenly costs $899 and you can buy the same pair of glasses here made in the USA, for $599, who wins?

Nope I cannot compete corporately. That why we need to even the playing field with tarriffs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides
Any sunglass production moving out of China will move to 40 cent an hour Bangladesh, not America. Workers in China already make ten times as much as that.

Why do you think our trade deficit with significantly poorer Vietnam is six to one while our deficit with China is only three to one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies