Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 10:58 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times

Advertisements

Ritalin stunts your growth plus endocrine disruptors Big Pharmaceutical keeps force feeding us. Or maybe we're just getting wider( corn syrup from Big Corn and Monsanto) so we look shorter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 11:34 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Ritalin stunts your growth plus endocrine disruptors Big Pharmaceutical keeps force feeding us. Or maybe we're just getting wider( corn syrup from Big Corn and Monsanto) so we look shorter.
The most recent research does not bear that out, including a large study at Mayo Clinic in Rochester completed in late 2014, which compared three groups: children without ADHD and not medicated; children with ADHD treated with Ritalin, Concerta, or Adderall; and unmedicated children diagnosed with ADHD. The average follow-up time was 26 years, and 70% of the children enrolled had taken the medication for more than three years. There was no statistically significant difference in adult height between all three groups.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:40 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
But they make-up for it with their wideness!

Old 06-25-2018, 12:24 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I am 5'1". My daughters are 5'4" and 5'5". Good Nutrition, or maybe because their Dad is 6'1"? My young Grandsons are in the 25th percentile for height. Bad Nutrition, or maybe because their Dad is only 5'6"?

I learned a very long time ago that being petite, and thin, has it's advantages. Yes, I have had to climb on things my entire life, but I am very agile still even in my Senior years. Even my 6'1" husband would need a ladder to reach the top of the kitchen cabinets. I just climb on top of the counter tops.

He cannot fit under the kitchen sink to fix a leak, but I can. Same for getting into the attic crawlspace.

I once locked myself out of the house. A very small bathroom window was open. My then teenage daughters could not fit through it, but "little Mom" could. I crawled sideways through the window holding on to the sink. Think a tall, big woman, let alone a man, could do that?

Athletes? How big are the female Olympic Gymnasts, or for that matter, Figure Skaters? No, I am very happy with the size I am. Why do you want people to be TALL???
Genetics can vary in several ways. My father is 5'11" and my mother is 5'5". My brother is 5'10". I'm 5'5". My sister is 5'7". I was always the small one on the family. I was the shortest kid in the class between 2nd grade and 8th grade. I never reached the 5 ft mark until I was 14 years old. Turns out my grandfather being short could have played a role. I do not know. I don't think nutrition was the issue because I got plenty to eat.

What I'm about to say next, this isn't to pit genders against each other. This is just what I've experienced. Being short has given me the advantage of being more agile and fast. As a kid I could hide in places where some kids couldn't. I can fit under the sink myself if I have to fix something there. I played baseball as a kid. Being short gave me the advantage of drawing walks. Being small gave me a certain amount of agility and I could steal bases.

On the other hand, being male, it has more disadvantages than advantages, especially in the social realm. For starters, if you're a short boy, you get picked on alot more. Bigger kids are always trying to mess with you. Statistically, short boys are more likely to be bullied than their taller counterparts. I speak from personal experience. Short men face their own share of problems. This ranges from higher rates of rejection from women to not being taken seriously in general. Granted, both men and women who are short are often not taken seriously and sometimes perceived like children. However, considering what men are expected to be, being short is not an advantage.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/MensHe...ory?id=8347950

And it is interesting that you mention sports. Being small is good if you want to do figure skating and gymnastics. However, for male-dominated sports, being short is not considered an advantage, in most cases. If you play soccer, that can be an advantage because it's a sport that calls for agility and speed. You don't need to be big to play. If you are a runner, being small can be an advantage. However, for football, basketball, baseball, hockey, scouts look for players who are minimum 5'10" to 6 ft. Jose Altuve, 2nd baseman for the 2017 World Champion Houston Astros almost didn't get to be on the team. He was turned away from a tryout for being short (he's listed as 5'6") the first time. He went back and had to prove that he could hit and that he could play. Major League Baseball wants more power hitters these days, so being short really comes as a disadvantage.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:58 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
34 years ago my tall/big inlaws told me my totally breastfed daughter looked like a "little plucked chicken". "Give her some formula and solid food". I told her Pediatrician what they said to me. He said a breastfed baby will be the way they were meant to genetically be. "Her iron count would make many an adult envious". Look in the mirror (5'1"/98 lb. me), her Pediatrician said.

Today at 34 (Mother of Two) she is 5'4" and 110 lbs. Did I fail her by not feeding her right?

Old 06-25-2018, 04:15 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Genetics can vary in several ways. My father is 5'11" and my mother is 5'5". My brother is 5'10". I'm 5'5". My sister is 5'7". I was always the small one on the family. I was the shortest kid in the class between 2nd grade and 8th grade. I never reached the 5 ft mark until I was 14 years old. Turns out my grandfather being short could have played a role. I do not know. I don't think nutrition was the issue because I got plenty to eat.

What I'm about to say next, this isn't to pit genders against each other. This is just what I've experienced. Being short has given me the advantage of being more agile and fast. As a kid I could hide in places where some kids couldn't. I can fit under the sink myself if I have to fix something there. I played baseball as a kid. Being short gave me the advantage of drawing walks. Being small gave me a certain amount of agility and I could steal bases.

On the other hand, being male, it has more disadvantages than advantages, especially in the social realm. For starters, if you're a short boy, you get picked on alot more. Bigger kids are always trying to mess with you. Statistically, short boys are more likely to be bullied than their taller counterparts. I speak from personal experience. Short men face their own share of problems. This ranges from higher rates of rejection from women to not being taken seriously in general. Granted, both men and women who are short are often not taken seriously and sometimes perceived like children. However, considering what men are expected to be, being short is not an advantage.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/MensHe...ory?id=8347950

And it is interesting that you mention sports. Being small is good if you want to do figure skating and gymnastics. However, for male-dominated sports, being short is not considered an advantage, in most cases. If you play soccer, that can be an advantage because it's a sport that calls for agility and speed. You don't need to be big to play. If you are a runner, being small can be an advantage. However, for football, basketball, baseball, hockey, scouts look for players who are minimum 5'10" to 6 ft. Jose Altuve, 2nd baseman for the 2017 World Champion Houston Astros almost didn't get to be on the team. He was turned away from a tryout for being short (he's listed as 5'6") the first time. He went back and had to prove that he could hit and that he could play. Major League Baseball wants more power hitters these days, so being short really comes as a disadvantage.
My older daughter works in Security. She is 5'5" and 125 lbs. Want to know how many men twice her size she has tackled to the ground? Besides her job, do you really think the Military is going to restrict women not only because of their gender, but also because of their smaller size?

Years ago, I had a friend who was 4'10" with a 3rd degree Black Belt take down a male close to 6 feet who was following us. I had to be certified in SCIP training (5'1", 98 lbs., 58 years old me) to work with MR/DDD population. In order to get this I had to be able to restrain someone twice my size and gender , besides being more than half my age.

There are many ways to work around your gender, and definitely your size.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:18 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
I haven't noticed as most people are taller than I am... including some 12 year olds lol
5'2".

Old 06-25-2018, 08:32 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
34 years ago my tall/big inlaws told me my totally breastfed daughter looked like a "little plucked chicken". "Give her some formula and solid food". I told her Pediatrician what they said to me. He said a breastfed baby will be the way they were meant to genetically be. "Her iron count would make many an adult envious". Look in the mirror (5'1"/98 lb. me), her Pediatrician said.

Today at 34 (Mother of Two) she is 5'4" and 110 lbs. Did I fail her by not feeding her right?
she could use a good meal today...she is slightly underweight

small frame female the standard is 5' = 100lbs.. for every inch add 5lbs... so at 5'4" she should be (again for small frame) 120lbs

otherwise it sounds like you did an outstanding job mama Jo

Old 06-26-2018, 06:41 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
People that study was comparing the mean heights of people born between 1896 and 1996.
Measuring the growth of groups of people from 200 countries in the span of 100 years. The study ended 22 years ago.
Please stop blaming food stamps and junk food. People are still getting taller. Even within that study Americans mean height increased by 2 inches according to the study.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:45 AM

9 posts, read 5,478 times
An example from Germany. People in the northern Germany are taller than the Germands in the South, because in the South they oftener mix with Turks and Asians who are smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies