Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2018, 12:00 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And what do you have to do to get a water heater installed in Canada?
You didn't read my posting, did you.

Quote:
In Canada, I needed to put in a new hot water heater, powered by natural gas. I went an bought one, installed it, tested it, had a friend who was a gas fitter test my test, end of story.
In other words, no permits, and no requirements for them. Freedom goes way beyond the 2A. In fact, I've been in most of the European and Scandinavian countries for extended periods of time, and very few there feel that they are constrained by freedoms of the individual.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You didn't read my posting, did you.

In other words, no permits, and no requirements for them. Freedom goes way beyond the 2A. In fact, I've been in most of the European and Scandinavian countries for extended periods of time, and very few there feel that they are constrained by freedoms of the individual.
^^My error. Yes, I did read your post or rather skimmed it; it's getting late. I'm rather surprised that Canada cares so little about public safety.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-07-2018 at 12:20 AM..

Old 07-07-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
^^My error. Yes, I did read your post or rather skimmed it; it's getting late. I'm rather surprised that Canada cares so little about public safety.
LOL.... justifying constraints on freedom by raising the trope of public safety?? It's MY house I'm working on, and anyways, I know what I'm doing or know people who know if I don't.

And the excessive number of police? No comment on that? With the USA having the most prisoners of any nation in its jails, maybe, just maybe, they need to reevaluate their justice system. Hint, it ain't working the way you're doing it.

Many citizens feel much more free than those in the USA. You know, many USA citizens should get out a bit more and visit other countries and see things for themselves.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:51 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
LOL.... justifying constraints on freedom by raising the trope of public safety?? It's MY house I'm working on, and anyways, I know what I'm doing or know people who know if I don't.

And the excessive number of police? No comment on that? With the USA having the most prisoners of any nation in its jails, maybe, just maybe, they need to reevaluate their justice system. Hint, it ain't working the way you're doing it.

Many citizens feel much more free than those in the USA. You know, many USA citizens should get out a bit more and visit other countries and see things for themselves.
I smile to myself at the lack of knowledge about the outside world shown by many posters here in c-d. It is quite fascinating to read some of it. Some actually believe the Queen is in charge here in England. They don't understand she is just a figurehead.

America is a vast, fantastic country, and many citizens never leave it. Some seem afraid of the outside world, and feel it is dangerous for Americans. I rarely come across Americans on my travels. They used to be a common sight when I was young. In London, they were everywhere in the 60s and 70s.

As to the amount in American jails, some posters here in c-d don't think it's enough! Lock 'em up is a frequent cry. People who wander off the straight and narrow, find it hard to get back on it. A criminal record, even one from many years ago, seems to haunt the wrongdoer, especially in finding employment, for the rest of their lives.

'Serves 'em right' seems to be the opinion of many. Christian forgiveness seems thin on the ground for a largely religious population.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:09 AM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
As to the amount in American jails, some posters here in c-d don't think it's enough! Lock 'em up is a frequent cry. People who wander off the straight and narrow, find it hard to get back on it. A criminal record, even one from many years ago, seems to haunt the wrongdoer, especially in finding employment, for the rest of their lives.

'Serves 'em right' seems to be the opinion of many. Christian forgiveness seems thin on the ground for a largely religious population.
It is easy to talk about forgiving from a distance, but not when criminal activity actually threatens the safety of your family and children.

Everybody capitulates when the sh*t hits the fan.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is easy to talk about forgiving from a distance, but not when criminal activity actually threatens the safety of your family.
So, why is the crime rate so high in the USA, compared to your next door neighbor, Canada? The societies are very close to the same except for crime, healthcare and number of guns in circulation. Oh yeah, and the number of police involved killings of unarmed people.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:22 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
So, why is the crime rate so high in the USA, compared to your next door neighbor, Canada? The societies are very close to the same except for crime, healthcare and number of guns in circulation. Oh yeah, and the number of police involved killings of unarmed people.
Some American posters here in cd actually defended the police in this video. The poor guy didn't stand a chance. This copy of the video stops before he is shot. Begging for his life got him nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OflGwyWcft8

Old 07-07-2018, 06:42 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Some American posters here in cd actually defended the police in this video. The poor guy didn't stand a chance. This copy of the video stops before he is shot. Begging for his life got him nowhere.

Dude. You realize you are using the agenda minded MSM to push some sort of anti-American point? Maybe I should start quoting the views of the Daily Mail to cast generalizations on 65 million people in the UK. What would you think of that? I've learned this isn't a good idea.

Moral: You don't live here. This is a big country of 330,000,000 spread across 5 time zones. If your view of Americans is what you see on the TV then you do indeed have a very distorted view.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:44 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Dude. You realize you are using the agenda minded MSM to push some sort of anti-American point? Maybe I should start quoting the views of the Daily Mail to cast generalizations on 65 million people in the UK. What would you think of that? I've learned this isn't a good idea.

Moral: You don't live here. This is a big country of 330,000,000 spread across 5 time zones. If your view of Americans is what you see on the TV then you do indeed have a very distorted view.
Inherent jealousy of America, and Americans by many in the UK, and Europe.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:16 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Jesus was not involved in politics. He said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place."
John 18:36 Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world; if it were, My servants would fight to prevent My arrest by the Jews. But now, My kingdom is not of this realm."
G'morning Katarina, agreeing Jesus' essential meanings were not political ones, he would've likely preferred not to be involved in politics. Although the politicians of his day had another take on it.

In any event, I thought you might appreciate this. From The Gospel of Thomas (which surfaced in the archaeological discovery of the Nag Hammadi Library around 1945), it's unusual in that, unlike the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John, it's solely a collection of 114 of Jesus' sayings:

Quote:
His followers said to him, "When will the kingdom come?" Jesus said, "It will not come by watching for it, it will not be said, 'Look, here it is' or 'Look, there it is.'

Rather, the father's kingdom is spread out upon the earth, & people do not see it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies