Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2018, 12:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
LOL... Phil Fontane? Do you know who he is? I know, met and have dealt with Fontane at a Treaty 8 Grand Chiefs gathering I was invited to. Fontane has little credibility left by anyone, including First Nations people.

The rest of your links are mostly opinion pieces (like Fontane's). The reality is that no genocide (the intentional mass killing of a people) occured in Canada. That doesn't mean racism wasn't practised, and the residential school system, run by the Catholic and Anglican churches with the government's blessing wasn't horribly wrong, and had long term negative effects. Canada has apologized for that, and paid compensation to victims.

The USA has NEVER even officially acknowledged the genocide it practiced, let alone apologize, and certainly not paid reparations, did it?

Apples and oranges. Don't diminish what a genocide is by throwing in the words such as "cultural" in front of it. Genocide is the organized, government sanctioned killing of a people.
OK, I'll take your word on this Phil Fontane. However, the Huffpo article was not an opinion piece, nor is the ipolitics article.
Yes, the US has apologized for its treatment of the Native Americans.
https://nativevotewa.wordpress.com/2...gy-resolution/

I agree with newdixiegirl. You do not want an honest discussion, you assume some sort of moral and intellectual superiority.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:15 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
OK, I'll take your word on this Phil Fontane. However, the Huffpo article was not an opinion piece, nor is the ipolitics article.
Yes, the US has apologized for its treatment of the Native Americans.
https://nativevotewa.wordpress.com/2...gy-resolution/
I stand corrected.

Quote:
I agree with newdixiegirl. You do not want an honest discussion, you assume some sort of moral and intellectual superiority.
Pot, meet kettle.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:23 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
.When you have a large percentage of blacks and a large percentage of whites living in the same society, you will generally see a significant amount of crime committed by the black population. This is partly because the whites are usually the more economically affluent group and blacks are less affluent, as a whole. Witness South Africa.
America has the highest number affluent black people on earth with the most opportunities.

African Americans are the white people of the black community.

What’s your next excuse? Sorry bro, America has done more than enough to provide endless assistance to people of color. Race quotas, affirmative action, section 8 housing, rent controlled apartments, ebt cards, food stamps, WIC, black colleges, scholarships for minorities, equal opportunity emoloyment, etc.

There is no excuse for the poor to commit crime in this country.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:25 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This has become a long thread. But I previously explained that the high crime rate in the U.S. is linked to its unusual racial demographics for a western country.

When you have a large percentage of blacks and a large percentage of whites living in the same society, you will generally see a significant amount of crime committed by the black population. This is partly because the whites are usually the more economically affluent group and blacks are less affluent, as a whole. Witness South Africa.
You could've just skipped over the race bit and cut to the chase: that poverty and extreme income inequality leads to crime and strife.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:40 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Congrats on the big Win Dave. Good match.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:47 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Congrats on the big Win Dave. Good match.
Thanks!! I'm watching our opponent for the next game right now. I don't see anything to fear in Russia or Croatia. If we make it to the final, it will be real difficult against Belgium or France.

This video is about the pain felt by the English people this last 52 years. Waiting for a team to win the World Cup again. At the end, the team of old men footballers, are members of the 1966 World Cup winning side.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HwBqf7f294

It's off topic, but it's my thread, and I can talk about anything I want!!.......

Old 07-07-2018, 02:03 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Cannot BELIEVE that I KNEW it was on tv at 10 in the morning on a Saturday when I had nothing to do yet I sat here reading this interesting thread starting with Page #1 and forgot to TURN THE TV ON! But do they really skid like that on their knees? Ouch.

What an interesting thread and what doesn't it cover? A lot so far. I'm no expert and sometimes I don't even know what I believe about America.

As far as immigration, we learned way back in school that quotas were set as to how many and from which countries back in the early 20th C. That's when we had massive immigration from Europe to come work in our mills. The quotas were controversial and they did change from time to time.

I believe we now need to open immigration up to middle class people from Europe again, as well as from other countries. If we get an overload of one ethnicity, it becomes too easy for them to stick together and never assimilate. We are getting entire states that are Hispanic with people speaking only Spanish and not learning or caring about our customs. But many of them are illegals and I have no answer as to how to stop that.

I'm a Democrat and I want a stop to illegal immigration. It is not "racist" to not want to be overloaded with people who come here illegally, defying our laws, and taking advantage of our system. They are putting their kids through our schools without paying in, they are taking jobs, they are stealing social security numbers and ids. This illegal business has to stop!

...So, England doesn't know yet whether they will be playing Russia or Croatia. Nail biting time. (Just got the BBC on the tv.)

Old 07-07-2018, 02:16 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
So, why is the crime rate so high in the USA, compared to your next door neighbor, Canada? The societies are very close to the same except for crime, healthcare and number of guns in circulation. Oh yeah, and the number of police involved killings of unarmed people.
Where in "the USA"? The crime rate is extremely low where I live.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:19 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Cannot BELIEVE that I KNEW it was on tv at 10 in the morning on a Saturday when I had nothing to do yet I sat here reading this interesting thread starting with Page #1 and forgot to TURN THE TV ON! But do they really skid like that on their knees? Ouch.

What an interesting thread and what doesn't it cover? A lot so far. I'm no expert and sometimes I don't even know what I believe about America.

As far as immigration, we learned way back in school that quotas were set as to how many and from which countries back in the early 20th C. That's when we had massive immigration from Europe to come work in our mills. The quotas were controversial and they did change from time to time.

I believe we now need to open immigration up to middle class people from Europe again, as well as from other countries. If we get an overload of one ethnicity, it becomes too easy for them to stick together and never assimilate. We are getting entire states that are Hispanic with people speaking only Spanish and not learning or caring about our customs. But many of them are illegals and I have no answer as to how to stop that.

I'm a Democrat and I want a stop to illegal immigration. It is not "racist" to not want to be overloaded with people who come here illegally, defying our laws, and taking advantage of our system. They are putting their kids through our schools without paying in, they are taking jobs, they are stealing social security numbers and ids. This illegal business has to stop!

...So, England doesn't know yet whether they will be playing Russia or Croatia. Nail biting time. (Just got the BBC on the tv.)
It is a fascinating thread for sure. Americans defending themselves about what the link had to say. Others agreeing at least to some of it being true. The American character is so interesting, and different to any other.

Third world immigration is undermining the racial mix in the US, and the white population are alarmed, and I don't blame them. They are being blamed, and insulted for events of the past. White shaming is quite fashionable, and the response to that is the election of Donald Trump. We are living through quite an amazing time in history.

Russia and Croatia are playing extra time, after the score being 1 - 1 at full time. Right now, Croatia are winning 2 - 1, but both sides are exhausted. Good!! We have to take one of them on next Wednesday. We can beat either of these football sides, and reach the World Cup final for the first time since 1966.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:21 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
This article made me think, and ponder about this great country, and why it does, what it does. How did the 'Promised Land' get to where it is today? Led by a sociopathic, hateful man, who can do no wrong to a large part of the population.
I assume you are talking about Obama. Yes, it is sad what he did to our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies