Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2018, 09:01 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
No I strongly suspect he does live here
Not one post from Dave about current life in uk -just about foreign vacations
the English Dave posting on Facebook from Florida and the one posting here might be the same -and if they are -those are great pictures and explain his 100% focus on America
Huck, I assure you I live in northern England...... I have never been to Florida. I don't know how to prove it to you.......

I fly to Spain a lot on holiday. I have lots of photos of Judy and I in Spain in my file. I go there about six times a year. How do you think I am flying from Florida so often to Spain?.......

Old 07-07-2018, 09:03 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,096,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Every time you say "we" adore Donald Trump, I am going to remind you that you do not speak for all of "us."

Every. last. time.
I didn't include you.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:19 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
No racism in your remarks at all is there?

You may want to readjust your thoughts as to the race of those shot. Amazingly, white are killed more than blacks by police. However as a percentage of population, blacks are killed more than whites.

The problem is too many USA police are gun happy, and shoot way to quickly, way to often. You need to ask yourself why that is not the case in other countries.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...olice-by-race/
It is not racism to point out that blacks commit violent crimes at a disproportionately higher rate than whites. This phenomenon is well-studied and has been known for many decades. Even most people on the left don’t deny it.

What is more controversial are the reasons for the higher incidence of black crime. Generally, people on the left think that the lack of resources and the lack of access to economic opportunities available to blacks cause young blacks to commit more crimes for survival purposes. People on the right tend to believe that elements of black culture discourage many young blacks from pursuing educational opportunities which would help them get good jobs and stay away from crime.

Similarly, some people think that the disproportionate number of blacks shot by police is simply a reflection of the higher incidence of black crime. Whereas other people think there is racial animus involved.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
I've been in all of Canada except Newfoundland, including the high arctic territories. Plus, so far been in 45 of the 50 States. I think I have a pretty good idea of the variances of the different parts of North America. How many presidential libraries have you been in? So far, I've visited 8, and make a point of including my route to go to those I haven't. Most Americans I know have been to none.

Canada did not commit the intentional genocide on its First Nations people that the USA did. It settled issue by treaties, which cover all of Canada except for parts of British Columbia. You, as a former Canadian should know that.

No genocides. I am well aware of the First Nations challenges that are faced. You mention blacks and Nova Scotia, but why didn't you ask about blacks in Amber Valley in Alberta?
Bull!
https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...out-of-mind-2/
"Canada’s race problem? It’s even worse than America’s.
For a country so self-satisfied with its image of progressive tolerance, how is this not a national crisis?"

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/1...n_4123112.html
"UN Urged To Declare Canada's Treatment Of Aboriginals 'Genocide'"

PressProgress
"“Meanwhile in Canada,” Canadians are forgetting Canada has its own problems with racism
some Canadians have gotten the false impression that everything's perfect up here at home."

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/05/11/un-r...enous-peoples/
"UN review calls out Canada’s treatment of Indigenous Peoples"

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...ticle14853747/
"What Canada committed against First Nations was genocide. The UN should recognize it"

http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/131.../1314977321448 A history. See especially this section:
" "Civilising the Indian" "

Clean up your own house, norm!

Old 07-07-2018, 09:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
LOL.... justifying constraints on freedom by raising the trope of public safety?? It's MY house I'm working on, and anyways, I know what I'm doing or know people who know if I don't.

And the excessive number of police? No comment on that? With the USA having the most prisoners of any nation in its jails, maybe, just maybe, they need to reevaluate their justice system. Hint, it ain't working the way you're doing it.

Many citizens feel much more free than those in the USA. You know, many USA citizens should get out a bit more and visit other countries and see things for themselves.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_code
"The main purpose of building codes is to protect public health, safety and general welfare as they relate to the construction and occupancy of buildings and structures. "

Old 07-07-2018, 09:30 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
No I strongly suspect he does live here
Not one post from Dave about current life in uk -just about foreign vacations
the English Dave posting on Facebook from Florida and the one posting here might be the same -and if they are -those are great pictures and explain his 100% focus on America
There's at least one other English Dave on Facebook, living in Nova Scotia. I suspect there are probably a few others, too. I'm not sure what that proves about anything.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:33 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Bull!
"Canada’s race problem? It’s even worse than America’s.
For a country so self-satisfied with its image of progressive tolerance, how is this not a national crisis?"

80 A History of Indian and Northern Affairs Canada A history. See especially this section:
" "Civilising the Indian" "

Clean up your own house, norm!
Quote:
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/1...n_4123112.html
"UN Urged To Declare Canada's Treatment Of Aboriginals 'Genocide'"

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...ticle14853747/
"What Canada committed against First Nations was genocide. The UN should recognize it"
Quote:
PressProgress
"“Meanwhile in Canada,” Canadians are forgetting Canada has its own problems with racism
some Canadians have gotten the false impression that everything's perfect up here at home."

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/05/11/un-r...enous-peoples/
"UN review calls out Canada’s treatment of Indigenous Peoples"

LOL... Phil Fontane? Do you know who he is? I know, met and have dealt with Fontane at a Treaty 8 Grand Chiefs gathering I was invited to. Fontane has little credibility left by anyone, including First Nations people.

The rest of your links are mostly opinion pieces (like Fontane's). The reality is that no genocide (the intentional mass killing of a people) occured in Canada. That doesn't mean racism wasn't practised, and the residential school system, run by the Catholic and Anglican churches with the government's blessing wasn't horribly wrong, and had long term negative effects. Canada has apologized for that, and paid compensation to victims.

The USA has NEVER even officially acknowledged the genocide it practiced, let alone apologize, and certainly not paid reparations, did it?

Apples and oranges. Don't diminish what a genocide is by throwing in the words such as "cultural" in front of it. Genocide is the organized, government sanctioned killing of a people.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:38 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This has become a long thread. But I previously explained that the high crime rate in the U.S. is linked to its unusual racial demographics for a western country.

When you have a large percentage of blacks and a large percentage of whites living in the same society, you will generally see a significant amount of crime committed by the black population. This is partly because the whites are usually the more economically affluent group and blacks are less affluent, as a whole. Witness South Africa.
Inequality has proven to be a major factor in high crime rates...just saying.

Your "race" solution to the problem is not as accurate as you might think. Witness the Irish in Boston or the Italians in NYC, Chicago and MANY other places in history. The highest murder rates in our history have been among the rural scots-irish (and similar) in TN and KY...a rate of 250 per 100K, 50X that of current day MA.

It's important to keep a historical and accurate view on these things. Anyone can point to one thing in relatively current events and say "ah-ha!"....but it's not that way.

You have it somewhat right about "economic affluence", but there is much more to it. The Mob was known as containing 1000's of people who simply didn't want to work for a living. They could have gotten jobs, but economics (Freakanomics if you will) told them...and truthfully...that working in a foundry or slaughterhouse or at the docks meant an earlier death and lots of suffering for peanuts.

These are complex subjects - but no doubt the "lack of caring and historical education and awareness" in the USA contributes to our crime.

BTW, lots of blacks live in the UK....and my guess is that the black crime rate is not as large as here....let me look it up. Yep - it's higher than whites, but well over twice as bad here (arrests, jailing).....

Again, complex subjects. Poverty and/or inequality seems to be the biggest driver of most modern smaller crimes. I say "smaller" because the billionaires and the Manaforts and the Flynns and all of those people tend to steal millions or even billions and rarely see a jail cell. Large drug smugglers see jail very rarely, while the little guys are filling up the cells. Again - inequality is the key.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:49 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What is more controversial are the reasons for the higher incidence of black crime. Generally, people on the left think that the lack of resources and the lack of access to economic opportunities available to blacks cause young blacks to commit more crimes for survival purposes. People on the right tend to believe that elements of black culture discourage many young blacks from pursuing educational opportunities which would help them get good jobs and stay away from crime.
Interesting because the Right and Left reasons you give are the exact same - but you don't even see it....

The "culture" comes from poverty and suffering and inequality.

This is a great example of "conservative" black-white thinking, that is...the inability to see the complexities of life. What you are really saying above is that most people AGREE on the causation and the results.

"Black Culture" in the USA is 99% the result of Slave Culture. Throw in "freedoms" like unlimited customers and supplies of drugs (mostly white consumers...) and unlimited guns and racism preventing them from obtaining and holding the better jobs (guess who always got fired first even back when?)....

I've seen it all first hand. I know black folks who are more civilized and "european" than most people on this board (from diction, to jobs to classical music)....I know others who moved to the North and then moved back down South recently and are loving it...because they have some land and skills.

Being from Philly I would say I was raised with the same worldview as most white folks of the times. It wasn't until I lived in TN that I met my first truly free black folks. It's saying something that I was floored....I delivered a load of wood (we were tearing down buildings for lumber) to a farmer. He was working the land, building his outbuildings and living the life. I also met the entire council of one of the local black churches...it was right out of a movie. More peaceful and innocent and honest/civilized people than I've ever sat in a room with.

We are a product of our environments and societies. Violence in the USA - from ANYONE....including white mass murderers, the hatfields and mccoys, the mob, whitey bulger or the Latins...is a reflection on OUR society and country.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,187 times
Quote:
I've been in all of Canada except Newfoundland, including the high arctic territories. Plus, so far been in 45 of the 50 States. I think I have a pretty good idea of the variances of the different parts of North America. How many presidential libraries have you been in? So far, I've visited 8, and make a point of including my route to go to those I haven't. Most Americans I know have been to none.

Canada did not commit the intentional genocide on its First Nations people that the USA did. It settled issue by treaties, which cover all of Canada except for parts of British Columbia. You, as a former Canadian should know that.

No genocides. I am well aware of the First Nations challenges that are faced. You mention blacks and Nova Scotia, but why didn't you ask about blacks in Amber Valley in Alberta?
Why do I have to ask about blacks in Alberta as opposed to blacks in Nova Scotia?

Canadians often have the tendency to excuse Canada's shortcomings, problems, and historical wrongdoings -- just so long as the national perception is that the US is/was worse off. But there is no way out of the fact that Canadian treatment of First Nations peoples was -- and remains -- terrible. Period.

On another note, I am not a "former Canadian" (that sounds very exclusionary, norm. Not very "Canadian" at all). I AM Canadian. I am American. And very proud to be both.

I've lived in 3 provinces and, so far, 2 states. Travel is great; it's highly educational. But actually living in a place, day in and day out, for at least a year or two, is the best way to truly familiarize oneself with its workings and culture -- and to turn upside down any preconceived notions. In my 21 years in the US, I've learned, for example, that Americans are far better travelled in the US than Canadians are within Canada. Americans are far more likely to have experienced living in different places -- including overseas - than are Canadians.

It's one thing to ask honest questions and to encourage ideas and opinions of the residents of a particular place in order to develop an understanding of what it's like to live there -- as English Dave is doing with this thread. It's quite another to assume intellectual and moral superiority and to lecture the residents of a place (that one has never actually lived in full-time). It's yet another thing entirely to deliberately attempt to insult someone's home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies