Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2018, 08:36 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
So, why is the crime rate so high in the USA, compared to your next door neighbor, Canada? The societies are very close to the same except for crime, healthcare and number of guns in circulation. Oh yeah, and the number of police involved killings of unarmed people.
This has become a long thread. But I previously explained that the high crime rate in the U.S. is linked to its unusual racial demographics for a western country.

When you have a large percentage of blacks and a large percentage of whites living in the same society, you will generally see a significant amount of crime committed by the black population. This is partly because the whites are usually the more economically affluent group and blacks are less affluent, as a whole. Witness South Africa.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:38 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
It's not your problem to obsess, badger, and argue with Americans over. Stay out of America and stay safe. Again, problem>solution.
Human rights are HUMAN rights, and artificial borders drawn on a map doesn't change that. When did Americans go from a nation that proudly defended and promoted human rights to one that abuses them, with the tacit and not so tacit approval of a large percentage of its population?

It's almost like... well, in other countries that practiced that over the last 100 years. One's that Americans fought and died for to fight those philosophies. It's like those deaths were in vain.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:40 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,187 times
Quote:
I wasn't. That's why I addressed Normstad specifically.
I noticed that after I posted. Sorry. Message deleted.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:42 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,503,534 times
Quote:
Human rights are HUMAN rights, and artificial borders drawn on a map doesn't change that. When did Americans go from a nation that proudly defended and promoted human rights to one that abuses them, with the tacit and not so tacit approval of a large percentage of its population?

It's almost like... well, in other countries that practiced that over the last 100 years. One's that Americans fought and died for to fight those philosophies. It's like those deaths were in vain.
Ahhhh ... everything I need to know about the kind of person that you are is contained within this one bolded sentence. Thank you for your succinct hint.

Welcome to my ignore list, please make yourself comfortable among the crackpots, idiots, and psychos hanging out in there.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:44 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,187 times
Quote:

Are you as passionate about how First Nations peoples are treated in Canada, norm? Are you at all aware of the history and treatment of blacks in Canada -- in, say, Nova Scotia, for example? How much travelling have you done in Canada? Have you lived anywhere else in Canada besides Alberta?

If that's an artificial border between the US and Canada, I guess you'd be comfortable with about 11 million US citizens illegally entering Canada?

Old 07-07-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This has become a long thread. But I previously explained that the high crime rate in the U.S. is linked to its unusual racial demographics for a western country.

When you have a large percentage of blacks and a large percentage of whites living in the same society, you will generally see a significant amount of crime committed by the black population. This is partly because the whites are usually the more economically affluent group and blacks are less affluent, as a whole. Witness South Africa.
No racism in your remarks at all is there?

You may want to readjust your thoughts as to the race of those shot. Amazingly, white are killed more than blacks by police. However as a percentage of population, blacks are killed more than whites.

The problem is too many USA police are gun happy, and shoot way to quickly, way to often. You need to ask yourself why that is not the case in other countries.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...olice-by-race/

Old 07-07-2018, 08:48 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,503,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Are you as passionate about how First Nations peoples are treated in Canada, norm? Are you at all aware of the history and treatment of blacks in Canada -- in, say, Nova Scotia, for example? How much travelling have you done in Canada? Have you lived anywhere else in Canada besides Alberta?

If that's an artificial border between the US and Canada, I guess you'd be comfortable with about 11 million US citizens illegally entering Canada?
Not to mention the startling rise in gun violence in Toronto, the numbers of sexual assault and child abuse in Saskatchewan, etc etc etc.

We all have problems. Some of us worse than others. I'll never understand the need to mince over it all.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Ahhhh ... everything I need to know about the kind of person that you are is contained within this one bolded sentence. Thank you for your succinct hint.

Welcome to my ignore list, please make yourself comfortable among the crackpots, idiots, and psychos hanging out in there.
Thank you. I've returned the favor.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

I've been in all of Canada except Newfoundland, including the high arctic territories. Plus, so far been in 45 of the 50 States. I think I have a pretty good idea of the variances of the different parts of North America. How many presidential libraries have you been in? So far, I've visited 8, and make a point of including my route to go to those I haven't. Most Americans I know have been to none.

Canada did not commit the intentional genocide on its First Nations people that the USA did. It settled issue by treaties, which cover all of Canada except for parts of British Columbia. You, as a former Canadian should know that.

No genocides. I am well aware of the First Nations challenges that are faced. You mention blacks and Nova Scotia, but why didn't you ask about blacks in Amber Valley in Alberta?

Old 07-07-2018, 08:59 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
The British Empire once ruled the known world, and their educational efforts throughout the world are well documented and produced systems which have educated and taught millions. It is rationally, one of the most impressive and consequential efforts for humanity. Millions in other countries taught to speak English, educated in formality and behavior literally a global work. While those works had consequences. Nothing is perfect. However England is responsible for a large part of why the world works as well as it does. They're imho entitled to a little hubris for it.

America is a rable rouser of a nation, most similar to creation itself, going in all directions at once, excelling at both routine and odd science, full of violence and glory, it mimics what evolution has given us (wild and unpredictable) and is full of faults. But at it's basic instinct it is the reason we love our country and our people. It's also the reason (Dave) that we adore Donald Trump. He is irreverent outspoken unafraid to make mistakes and unapologetic in his gaffes and failures. He represents most of us just so you know. And we love and emulate (prior to his presidency) a joy of living and an unnerving ability to create calamity at the drop of a hat. He is spontaneous (accepted the off cuff North Korea comment and cemented an agreement) thereby making the world safer. He is smart like us, thinks like us and despises the corruption which was the lament of the Clinton/Obama cabal. So if you really want to understand "us", you should avoid your knee jerk reactions about Trump and temper your own disrespectful comments about him which show your lack of understanding about our country.

Keep at it though. Your open mindedness and your enjoyment of America are leading you to a better knowledge of us.

Lift a glass.
Every time you say "we" adore Donald Trump, I am going to remind you that you do not speak for all of "us."

Every. last. time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies