Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 03:46 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I can't speak for transgenders because I'm not transgender, but as a cis gay man, I can say for certain that societal stigma is a huge contributor to suicidal thoughts/attempts, especially lack of acceptance from family. Most people never have to deal with an experience as traumatic as being completely disowned and ostracized from their family and friends because of a personality trait they didn't choose. LGBTQ individuals many times do, and religion and conservatism is the reason why. I say this as somebody who did conversion therapy myself. I reached a point where I either had to go no contact with my religious family or submit and do conversion therapy. I could not put up with their bullying because of my sexual orientation one more day (I would have committed suicide) and I couldn't be cut off from the family, so I submitted and did conversion therapy.
I think that being gay, or trans or otherkin is a trial that must be sorted out by the individual. I don't agree with disowning your child/brother/sister/uncle/aunt over it. I do think that people have a right to believe that being gay/trans/otherkin is morally wrong, but I do disagree with the forceful imposition of that belief. I don't think that disowning your gay son is the Christian thing to do. Islam is worse of course. They'd have just outright killed you for being gay. Not sure what the deal is with tossing gays off of rooftops, but it's a Muslim thing for some reason. Then there's the atheistic Communist countries of the 20th century. They too would just kill you for the offense of being gay and that draconian action has carried down to Russia today. I genuinely wish you the best, but you can be grateful that you were not born in places that would have killed you for the high crime of gayness. (Not a crime in my book, if that wasn't obvious.)

By the way, I absolutely despise the "new vocabulary" term of "cis-gendered" and I refuse to use it. I don't understand why Progressives are so keen to rewrite the entire English language and then try to force the rest of us to comply with those changes.

Curiously enough, Donald Trump voters represent something new. There's a whole lot of people ranging from Moderate Right to Center Left who are sick of the SJW Progressive authoritarians telling them what to do and how to live their lives. A sizeable chunk of them voted for Trump. These same people are generally just fine with LGBTQ+ folks. Many of them are LGBTQ+ like Blair White and Milo Yianopolous. I didn't vote for Trump myself, but I'm very similar to them politically. It's very interesting to me. The only thing Progressives hate more than the largely fictional trailer-trash white redneck Republican are race-traitors and gender-traitors. Antifa set the campus of University of California Berkeley on fire, smashed the crap out of place and nearly beat a few people to death rather than let Milo Yiannopolous -- a gay guy who is a huge Trump supporter -- speak on campus. Blair White, a trans-woman, was beaten in the street for the high crime of wearing a MAGA hat in public. Blacks who publicly express their support for Trump are mistreated and abused in all sorts of ways. It's a very strange thing.

Quote:
I think a good question is why is 250+ genders (I don't think it's that many but lets say it is) even a thing at all? It's because conservatives have a very strict, narrow idea of what it means to be male or female and people who fall outside of the accepted stereotypes may feel insecure in their gender identity. If people could just be who they are, I don't think you'd see the more than two gender thing.
Well according to Tumblr, there are 112 genders. The number will undoubtedly grow and grow. I'm sure you wouldn't have much trouble rounding up about 1000 distinct gender identities right now. I don't think we should all have to keep track of a potentially infinite number of gender identities. It massively complicates the process of just saying hello to a complete stranger.

The thing I find odd is that everyone was already 100% allowed to be whatever they wanted to be before hijacking the word "gender." For most of my life, "gender" was just a polite word for "sex" -- one that could not be misconstrued as referencing sexual intercourse. If you decided to live your life as a dwarf or an elf, or a lizard or a dog or a cat or the opposite gender, here in the USA you were perfectly free to do so. Many other free countries would have let you do whatever as well. I think that's fine. As long as you're not hurting anyone else live your life as you see fit. I've never understood the obsession with hijacking the word "gender" though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 03:52 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I think that being gay, or trans or otherkin is a trial that must be sorted out by the individual. I don't agree with disowning your child/brother/sister/uncle/aunt over it. I do think that people have a right to believe that being gay/trans/otherkin is morally wrong, but I do disagree with the forceful imposition of that belief. I don't think that disowning your gay son is the Christian thing to do. Islam is worse of course. They'd have just outright killed you for being gay. Not sure what the deal is with tossing gays off of rooftops, but it's a Muslim thing for some reason. Then there's the atheistic Communist countries of the 20th century. They too would just kill you for the offense of being gay and that draconian action has carried down to Russia today. I genuinely wish you the best, but you can be grateful that you were not born in places that would have killed you for the high crime of gayness. (Not a crime in my book, if that wasn't obvious.)

By the way, I absolutely despise the "new vocabulary" term of "cis-gendered" and I refuse to use it. I don't understand why Progressives are so keen to rewrite the entire English language and then try to force the rest of us to comply with those changes.

Curiously enough, Donald Trump voters represent something new. There's a whole lot of people ranging from Moderate Right to Center Left who are sick of the SJW Progressive authoritarians telling them what to do and how to live their lives. A sizeable chunk of them voted for Trump. These same people are generally just fine with LGBTQ+ folks. Many of them are LGBTQ+ like Blair White and Milo Yianopolous. I didn't vote for Trump myself, but I'm very similar to them politically. It's very interesting to me. The only thing Progressives hate more than the largely fictional trailer-trash white redneck Republican are race-traitors and gender-traitors. Antifa set the campus of University of California Berkeley on fire, smashed the crap out of place and nearly beat a few people to death rather than let Milo Yiannopolous -- a gay guy who is a huge Trump supporter -- speak on campus. Blair White, a trans-woman, was beaten in the street for the high crime of wearing a MAGA hat in public. Blacks who publicly express their support for Trump are mistreated and abused in all sorts of ways. It's a very strange thing.

Well according to Tumblr, there are 112 genders. The number will undoubtedly grow and grow. I'm sure you wouldn't have much trouble rounding up about 1000 distinct gender identities right now. I don't think we should all have to keep track of a potentially infinite number of gender identities. It massively complicates the process of just saying hello to a complete stranger.

The thing I find odd is that everyone was already 100% allowed to be whatever they wanted to be before hijacking the word "gender." For most of my life, "gender" was just a polite word for "sex" -- one that could not be misconstrued as referencing sexual intercourse. If you decided to live your life as a dwarf or an elf, or a lizard or a dog or a cat or the opposite gender, here in the USA you were perfectly free to do so. Many other free countries would have let you do whatever as well. I think that's fine. As long as you're not hurting anyone else live your life as you see fit. I've never understood the obsession with hijacking the word "gender" though.
Actually, it's been that way for a very long time. Those on the left believe their token groups should vote the way they are told to vote and they get upset when they don't.

You are correct in your analysis that there are all sorts of people who voted for Trump from all walks of life. The reason he did so well in the Upper Midwest for example, was because he garnered the votes of many lifelong Democrats, who are tired of seeing the Democrat party sell out to corporate interests and to special interests like SJW.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:55 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Nobody wants to get tricked by a chick with a stick.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:56 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Male or female. That's it. DNA proves it. Gender can not be changed. Psychological issue: man thinks that he is a woman, man thinks that he is a dog, man thinks that he is Jesus, etc...

Well, unless you are conducting actual research, I don't think you qualify as an expert. There IS research happening, including a study that is looking at a specific brain connection that may influence transgenderism in some cases--a weakened connection that influences identity in males that gets stronger when female hormones are introduced. Nothing that is slam-dunk, but there are a lot of people looking at a lot of science, and you just may be wrong.

I find it interesting that there is such a hard refusal to consider anything we don't find normal ourselves. Is it fear that it could happen to you or someone you love? What if you are correct that we are what we are, only you are wrong about the whole male or female thing? What do you consider someone who is intersex (that is, born with both male and female sex organs)? There is more we don't know than we do.

As to the OP, I think it's a fear issue, personally, but a many-layered one, and different for each individual.

If everyone who says, "I don't mind it as long as you don't ram it down my throat" actually meant that, it wouldn't be an issue. You do mind. Own it. How is a person who isn't actually living in your own home having any impact on you whatsoever? How is that person affecting your life by just being? You wouldn't have known he was a he before he became a she, so what does it matter to you?

Old 06-25-2018, 04:00 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
You mean Republicans, to which a quarter of Trump supporters are not. But, the truth aside, you'll find your answer in the Religion thread down yonder.

Currently to my surprise, the Democrats have also picked up a religious voting base with the Muslims and they also do not accept the alternative sexual behavior.

Plenty on both sides who aren't religious that could care less.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Actually, it's been that way for a very long time. Those on the left believe their token groups should vote the way they are told to vote and they get upset when they don't.

You are correct in your analysis that there are all sorts of people who voted for Trump from all walks of life. The reason he did so well in the Upper Midwest for example, was because he garnered the votes of many lifelong Democrats, who are tired of seeing the Democrat party sell out to corporate interests and to special interests like SJW.
Here's Blair White's story about her SJW roommate trying to stab her for being Conservative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjbm63K7V-E

Old 06-25-2018, 04:03 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
If there is one thing that will quickly trigger a sizable chunk of Trump supporters it's gender nonconformity. Whether a person is gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender or if they simply don't conform to accepted gender norms, they are in the cross-hairs these days. Why is it that many Trump supporters are so preoccupied with other peoples' lives? If a person is gay or wants to transition or simply wants to live in a way that doesn't conform to gender stereotypes i.e. feminism, why shouldn't they be able to? If somebody wants to live and raise their family like the Cleavers more power to them, but why do people get so upset that others want to live in this century?
Who’s preoccupied? It seems the msm, tv, lefty is preoccupied with bringing it up in your face.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:06 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Here's Blair White's story about her SJW roommate trying to stab her for being Conservative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjbm63K7V-E
We are a gay, interracial married couple and everyone in our area treats us very well. In fact, I have never experienced homophobia anywhere I have ever lived or traveled, except once in LA, when someone on a bus called me a fa**ot.

Anyway, we are Trump supporters. The conservative people in the area don't care and continue to treat us well when they have us over for dinner. The few liberals who have found out, through conversation, have stopped socializing or even talking to us however.

I have known for a very, very long time that the leftist narrative in the so called mainstream media is a total farce, but getting the left to understand this is like speaking to a brick wall.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
We are a gay, interracial married couple and everyone in our area treats us very well. In fact, I have never experienced homophobia anywhere I have ever lived or traveled, except once in LA, when someone on a bus called me a fa**ot.

Anyway, we are Trump supporters. The conservative people in the area don't care and continue to treat us well when they have us over for dinner. The few liberals who have found out, through conversation, have stopped socializing or even talking to us however.

I have known for a very, very long time that the leftist narrative in the so called mainstream media is a total farce, but getting the left to understand this is like speaking to a brick wall.
It's a strange thing, isn't it? Highly partisan Progressives are the most bigoted people on earth when it comes to LGBTQ+ folks, blacks, Hispanics, etc. committing the high crime of voting and thinking Conservative.

You keep being you. Nobody should ever have to apologize to anyone for living their lives as they see fit.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:24 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
If there is one thing that will quickly trigger a sizable chunk of Trump supporters it's gender nonconformity. Whether a person is gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender or if they simply don't conform to accepted gender norms, they are in the cross-hairs these days. Why is it that many Trump supporters are so preoccupied with other peoples' lives? If a person is gay or wants to transition or simply wants to live in a way that doesn't conform to gender stereotypes i.e. feminism, why shouldn't they be able to? If somebody wants to live and raise their family like the Cleavers more power to them, but why do people get so upset that others want to live in this century?
People fear what they don't understand. Fear is a heck of a drug.

Bigotry is easy. Understanding and respect is hard for ignorant people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies