Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 08:58 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
How do libertarians feel about democracy
VS
The electoral college?

To me the "popular vote"=democracy
To me, democracy is complete crap. Two people who vote to rob someone else is democratic.

Do you think people in Manhattan who outnumber people in a rural county should start voting on hay laws? 10 people looking out the front window and 2 people looking out the back, and only 2 out of 12 see a tornado coming. So lets go with the majority without considering the geographics shall we? Lets not worry about points of view...

The US used to be separate sovereign states. Good thing too because democracy does not scale. Each state decides on it own. So you can put to rest your Soviet style superstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Nah. That would violate the NAP. Virtually no one would agree to that.

Nah. Libertarians are realists. 99% of people didn't commit aggression on another person today, meaning they lived a day based on libertarian philosophy.

I have met quite a few that are not. Keep in mind I identify as one and I am the harshest critic of my compatriots. Thus while I leave others for dead, I wish to cut the rot out of those perfectly salvageable.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:01 AM

1,031 posts, read 639,331 times
Okay correct me if I'm wrong... libertarians do not like the drug war however they do like free trade and privatization of government services that was the original question...

If your a libertarian

Legalize drugs

Corporate takeover of government services

Yes on free trade (Ross Perot was wrong?)

Small government = weak government and the free market takes over democracy

Sounds like REGAN -drugwar

I Suspect these "libertarians" are just right wing conservatives that have conceded on social issues.

Proof for me would be their gun stance...??

Would libertarians ban military style rifles??

Old 06-27-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Okay correct me if I'm wrong... libertarians do not like the drug war however they do like free trade and privatization of government services that was the original question...
Quote:
Corporate takeover of government services
You ignore the dislike for the myriad of government support for these entities.

Quote:
Yes on free trade (Ross Perot was wrong?)
As a principle , yes free trade. Do you want to be forced to hire a certain kind of tradesman to do woodwork, like say a good plummer?

Quote:
Small government = weak government and the free market takes over democracy
What an absurd comment. Libertarian government must be a strong government. Its scope and goals must be focused and clearly defined. The rest of you want da guberment to handle odd numbers except 61 and 23 because they are upstanding liberal rich folk , and a-n leaving o-z to the market usually , or if capitalized, backwards from Z to N skipping Q. And everyone has a right to a clean pair of underwear so da guberment should make it.

Quote:
Sounds like REGAN -drugwar

I Suspect these "libertarians" are just right wing conservatives that have conceded on social issues.
Or you can't do a math problem and just decided to make up a number and hope no one else knows math . And if a few people do know math, just pretend they don't know math either.

Quote:
Proof for me would be their gun stance...??

Would libertarians ban military style rifles??
Who should have them? Should it be the people that the liberals say shoot minorities for no reason?

Old 06-27-2018, 09:30 AM

1,031 posts, read 639,331 times
You can't have democracy and privatization...

privatization defeats democracy because it puts control in the corporations hands the corporation doesn't care about your vote.

I guess you could fire the politicians (thru democracy) that put the corporation in charge but the corporation still exists... you can't remove them thru a democratic vote...

your Democratically elected representative just becomes a fall guy for a corporation...

privitazition destroys democracy and the middle class.

I just want to know how to respond when people call me a libertarian...

Old 06-27-2018, 09:44 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Kudos to No_recess and rebeldor for trying. Just so not worth it anymore.

"none are so blind as those who refuse to see."

Old 06-27-2018, 09:48 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:

privatization defeats democracy because it puts control in the corporations hands the corporation doesn't care about your vote.

I guess you could fire the politicians (thru democracy) that put the corporation in charge but the corporation still exists... you can't remove them thru a democratic vote...

your Democratically elected representative just becomes a fall guy for a corporation...

I would suggest you tell them you are not.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I would suggest you tell them you are not.
This.

Boer is as close to being a libertarian as I am to being a unicorn herder on Saturn.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Agreed. Natural monopolies should not be privatized. Market forces cannot apply to a monopoly. However there can be enterprises that depend on the the resource. Unfortunately almost no one understands sound economics so clearly laid out in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Quote:

Try saying you are a geo libertarian. That's basically what I am.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Agreed. Natural monopolies should not be privatized. Market forces cannot apply to a monopoly. However there can be enterprises that depend on the the resource. Unfortunately almost no one understands sound economics so clearly laid out in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Natural monopolies are economic unicorns. For more, see: "The Myth of Natural Monopoly" - Thomas J. DiLorenzo, Mises Institute, 05/13/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Try saying you are a geo libertarian. That's basically what I am.
Or even easier for people who don't understand fancy terms, geolibertarian = "libertarian who doesn't believe all that libertarian stuff." Since "property rights, but only sometimes" isn't really libertarian, it's more Democrat/Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies