Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 12:32 PM

1,031 posts, read 640,261 times

Advertisements

I am mostly politically neutral...I love firearms but I would never tell a woman what to do with her pregnancy, I believe in legalizing all drugs but I oppose welfare of any kind, a lot of my friends tell me I'm a libertarian but I can't get comfortable with this whole "small" government theory...

what exactly does that mean?

who has the power when it comes to small government theory?

I love states rights, I think that is the best way to go under all circumstances, the federal government should help the states enforce the laws they have but who has the power when we're talking about a small government.

I believe the USA is in free fall, big stock market gains but the middle class is shrinking and living off credit, I believe Trump and Regan were/are TERRIBLE... trickle down economics is just taking the filter out, sure it runs stronger but is way more likely to fail/blow up. Why run your heater with a filter, pull the filter out and the system runs stronger.

I believe 3 things have done the majority of damage to the USA,

#1 DRUG WAR (CIVIL ASSET FORFEITURE)

#2 PRIVITAZITION (FOR PROFIT PRISON?)

#3 FREE TRADE (REMEMBER ROSS PEROT)

Who has the power in "small government theory" not corporations who give money to politicians???

Last edited by Boer; 06-26-2018 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 12:45 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,773,800 times
"Small government" has only ever applied to pet issues. In practice, right-wingers *always* expand government.

Only difference here between the right and the left is that the left makes inept efforts to solve problems via bloated bureaucracy... whereas the right starts wars and funnels money to billionaires via different bloated bureaucracies.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:05 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,388,470 times
The basic idea of libertarianism is recognizing freedom as a civil right. Pretty self explanatory. People have the right to do as they please. The problem is when there is a conflict between two relative freedoms which requires regulation. An intersection must be regulated for example.

Other basics to its classical fundamentals are about property. If you made it, its yours. If anyone tries to take it, it violates your civil rights.

Neither party seems particularly good at holding to these guidelines.

The problem I have with liberals is they steal people's property. They want to force people to bake a cake and they want to take property made with your own labor.

The problem with conservatives is they want to confiscate one's property with da guberment supported monopolies. Da guberment allocates them property without compensation to others. Its not made with their hand and its used to extort money from producers.

In other words both of them use the force of government to take people's stuff, on by force and the other by extortion.

That is to say most people in the country are thieving, hypocritical scum, if I were to make a simple observation.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:40 PM

Do libertarians think private for profit prisons, military, police, fire services are a good idea???

Old 06-26-2018, 01:44 PM

13,984 posts, read 5,644,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
Do libertarians think private for profit prisons, military, police, fire services are a good idea???
Are you asking because you wish to learn more about libertarianism/classic liberalism, or so you can call the first libertarian to answer a moron or something?

Last edited by Volobjectitarian; 06-26-2018 at 01:53 PM..

Old 06-26-2018, 01:50 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,598,720 times
OP, you are all over the map, and I honestly can't figure out what you really think about anything.

I do suspect, based on the statement in another thread that "your government doesn't write stupid laws," that you are probably not a libertarian, at least not in any recognizable sense of the word.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
There is NO one thing in any political stance. Yours is an unanswerable question.

I will give you credit for noting that Libertarians are in general for a smaller government, not anti government like many want to paint them.

I have many Libertarian friends and few of them all believe the same thing.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:06 PM

Im consistently called a libertarian in conversation...i think its something i could be comfortable with IF it did not conflict with my big 3...
Drug war
Privitazition (profitization) of government services
Free trade

Im "all over the place" because i am not a political team person...100% free thinker but EXTREMELY set in my beliefs!

whenever I hear "small" government I think of weak government if we have a weak government that means private corporations are going to be running our country does it not?

I think the term freedom is "propaganda" because one person's freedom tramples on another person's liberties that's why we have democracy and it's great if we actually use it

Old 06-26-2018, 02:08 PM

13,697 posts, read 9,026,316 times
"Smaller government" seems to mean, to many I have met: "Get my disability check mailed out in a timely manner, but cut benefits for others."

Old 06-26-2018, 02:09 PM

13,984 posts, read 5,644,902 times
Yep...no reason to attempt this discussion. Just bait for people to call me an idiot. I'll let No_Recess or rebeldor give it a shot if they feel like wasting the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies