Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2018, 10:19 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,367,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Yes and the editor had warned police about this guy and how much of a danger he was. And the police did nothing.
In America, we don't arrest people for what they might do, at least, not yet.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:07 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
No slant at all. It is just a local paper that has no reporting on national issues other than what comes across the wires.
Which is what most papers, most reporters do. The majority of news reporters work at local daily and weekly newspapers and small-market broadcast stations. We stay out late at night attending city council meetings and school board proceedings as the eyes and ears of the public. We get up early in the morning to attend chamber of commerce breakfasts and charity runs. We write feature stories about your neighbors and take pictures of your kids' school activities.

And we keep our opinions to the opinion page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
1st Amendment, meet 2nd Amendment.
The Second Amendment gives you the right to own a gun, not to discharge it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The liberal press are liars, anti-American, etc ..........It doesn't mean they should be shot on sight or at random.
What a relief! Reporters everywhere will be at peace.
Quote:
The hypocrisy is they call themselves news and reporters when they are mostly political activist with the propaganda offering.
Please see my first paragraph.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:43 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
You cant stop it. But, you can interact with people face to face vice online... Think about it. How many people know their neighbors. If someone in my town was told I was threatening an individual, by the time I got home, my Father was waiting.. Now we are scared to call people out.. This guy shared his intent.. People failed to call him out..
And, if this was a shall issue state, and someone had a gun, shotgun, rifle, tanto knife, something concealed, and this guy came in blasting his shotgun, someone could have charged him, or returned fire. If you look at every mass shooting, as soon as perp is confronted by another armed person, they either surrender or kill themselves, for the most part. This guy stopped as soon as police arrive..One minute later, when seconds counted.
I'm sure they have building security. Even my local mall has security. But if we want everyone armed so be it. This isn't about gun control. This is about predicting who will snap.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:45 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
In America, we don't arrest people for what they might do, at least, not yet.
Seems like Americans are I creasingly advocating for that. Scary thought. That's facism .

Old 07-01-2018, 01:05 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
If it was an AR weapon, the liberals would be having a different argument... The liberals never let a tragedy go they can't exploit, no matter how far-fetched...

Old 07-01-2018, 01:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Seems like Americans are I creasingly advocating for that. Scary thought. That's facism .
So is politicians attacking the media calling them fake news and the enemy of the state as well as supporters saying "Take them out." Let's face it, aspects of fascism exist on both sides of aisle.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:38 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So is politicians attacking the media calling them fake news and the enemy of the state as well as supporters saying "Take them out." Let's face it, aspects of fascism exist on both sides of aisle.
1) they do put out fake news to continue their agenda

2) they push a political agenda on the us for their own gain, that is by definition an enemy of the state

3) supporters are fed up with all the lies and misleading opportunity opinions... And that is what happens..

Fasicism, so far, has been one-sided, but I never believe a TDS would ever see it...

Old 07-01-2018, 02:11 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Agreed. Besides the term "Fake News" has been around for a decade or more via the term "Faux News" which was a commonly used term in this very forum from 2008-2016 and beyond.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:42 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
I'm sure they have building security. Even my local mall has security. But if we want everyone armed so be it. This isn't about gun control. This is about predicting who will snap.
That particular building does not really have security. In addition to the newspaper office it also houses a couple medical practices (cardiology and urology if memory serves), a real estate/property management agency as well as a few others.

Quote:
Some did so in this very thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
1) they do put out fake news to continue their agenda...
It's more, from my perspective, that the reporter's political beliefs filter into the story. Sometimes with an outright opinion in the body of the story but more often by the language/vocabulary used and the way the reporting of the story is set up.

The above is very evident in the Washington Post. Not just in national stories but also in its local reporting.

A major problem, and you see it here constantly by who's quoted, is that many people can't, or won't, or don't understand the difference between reporting and editorial/opinion.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
1) they do put out fake news to continue their agenda

2) they push a political agenda on the us for their own gain, that is by definition an enemy of the state

3) supporters are fed up with all the lies and misleading opportunity opinions... And that is what happens..

Fasicism, so far, has been one-sided, but I never believe a TDS would ever see it...
And that is exclusive to the supporters? The issue I see is that people attack news that they perceive as hostile whether true or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies