Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 09:37 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
You make the same mistake as golgi and other Statists.

Libertarianism isn't political; it is completely apolitical.
I think people are used to thinking of "capital L" libertarianism, as in the political party, and that's the source of some of the confusion. My primary observation is that most capital L Libertarians aren't. They may be isolationists, but that's about as far as it goes.

Another thing is, I think people equate passion with affiliation. That's kind of silly. I've known some atheists where were quite passionate about atheism, but that hardly makes atheism a religion. Same thing.

How'd I do?

Old 06-30-2018, 09:39 AM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Do you own your body or does the State own your body?

What society wants doesn't matter; property rights and the needs of the individual reign supreme.
I believe in privacy rights, but of course the state does "own" citizens in the sense that if we commit a crime then the state can strip us of our rights.

In case of marijuana, it is a potential public health and drug trafficking issue that goes beyond the individual. So, the state has a responsibility to control that.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:40 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Quote:
Big L libertarians or small l libertarians? There's a difference.

As long as you're not committing aggression against others feel free to practice any religion you want. Churches should be tax-free, just like everything else, as all taxation is theft.
What's the difference? Party line thinking for big L?

Religious organizations can become/are manipulative and authoritarian which is antithetical to the premise of property and body rights.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:41 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
At least liberals/leftists, as terribly wrong and misguided as they are, at least attempt to refute our points.

Conservatives, on the other hand, are mostly silent, especially the hardcore Trump supporters who seem to post here thousands of times a week. Is it because they are so fixated on liberal-bashing that they can't even contemplate the fact that unlike them, libertarians actually want limited to no government?
You can't spot a libertarian by the way they look, so they are largely ignored by the fake ignorant media. You need a shirt or hat or maybe special sunglasses or Rand Paul hairdos or something so people know you exist in large numbers.

When is the last time you heard some TV reporter on the scene say, "Mike, the crowd tonight is loaded with libertarians."? Like never, right? And the pot ain't helping.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:43 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I think people are used to thinking of "capital L" libertarianism, as in the political party, and that's the source of some of the confusion. My primary observation is that most capital L Libertarians aren't. They may be isolationists, but that's about as far as it goes.

Another thing is, I think people equate passion with affiliation. That's kind of silly. I've known some atheists where were quite passionate about atheism, but that hardly makes atheism a religion. Same thing.

How'd I do?
Pretty well, except you made the mistake of conflating “isolationism” with “non-interventionism.”. North Korea vs. Switzerland.

In my opinion the Libertarian Party has done more harm to the libertarian cause than it's helped. It's pretty much a joke at this point and is what many people think of when you tell them your beliefs.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I believe in privacy rights, but of course the state does "own" citizens in the sense that if we commit a crime then the state can strip us of our rights.

In case of marijuana, it is a potential public health and drug trafficking issue that goes beyond the individual. So, the state has a responsibility to control that.
The State can never strip us of our rights, as they are inherent and aren't granted by government.

Public health doesn't override property rights. Nothing overrides property rights.

Drug trafficking is capitalistic entrepreneurship and also may not be regulated by the State.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:48 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Pretty well, except you made the mistake of conflating “isolationism” with “non-interventionism.”. North Korea vs. Switzerland.

In my opinion the Libertarian Party has done more harm to the libertarian cause than it's helped. It's pretty much a joke at this point and is what many people think of when you tell them your beliefs.
I very nearly said "military isolationism," as that is what I meant. I know they are not trade isolationists. That seems obvious.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
What's the difference? Party line thinking for big L?

Religious organizations can become/are manipulative and authoritarian which is antithetical to the premise of property and body rights.
Pretty much. The Libertarian Party is as libertarian as Nancy Pelosi.

One can voluntarily join a manipulative and authoritarian organization if they so desire, just as long as that organization doesn't violate the property rights of others who don't wish to join.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You can't spot a libertarian by the way they look, so they are largely ignored by the fake ignorant media. You need a shirt or hat or maybe special sunglasses or Rand Paul hairdos or something so people know you exist in large numbers.

When is the last time you heard some TV reporter on the scene say, "Mike, the crowd tonight is loaded with libertarians."? Like never, right? And the pot ain't helping.
Pretty much.

We just live peaceful, non-aggressive lives.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I very nearly said "military isolationism," as that is what I meant. I know they are not trade isolationists. That seems obvious.
A lot of people, especially neocons and liberal interventionists, use that as a pejorative against those of us who don't want to invade other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies