Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 05:08 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,117,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Responses in red
a.) Corporatism isn't free-market capitalism. In fact, it's antithetical.

b.) It wasn't even close to ancap. And your exact quote was "A great example of a ancap society gone wrong is the USA in the 20th century." Don't try to change the meaning of what you said.

c.) It's not a nonsense point, as your exact quote from post #167 is "Anarchocapitlism (sic) is the most misguided and morally bankrupt ideology that exists." You have no proof it would be violent and oppressive and are just using ad hominem talking points.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:08 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
I consider Williams and Friedman as conservative leaning libertarians while Sowell and Goldwater could be labeled libertarian leaning conservatives.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
My strongest influences are a combination of conservative and libertarians. Men such as Barry Goldwater, Milton Friedman, Thomas Sowell and Walter Williams. You cannot read Sowell without getting a good understanding of the arguments for conservatism. You may disagree with Sowell but his arguments are well thought out and backed up by historical evidence.
Love, love LOVE Sowell's economics, HATE his foreign policy views.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:11 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Love, love LOVE Sowell's economics, HATE his foreign policy views.
I hate a lot about Pat Buchanan but on foreign policy he is right on.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I hate a lot about Pat Buchanan but on foreign policy he is right on.
It's the opposite of Sowell; LOVE his foreign policy, HATE his economics and social views.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:44 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Progressivism is 1st grade math, conservatism is 2nd grade math, basic libertarianism is high school algebra, and anarcho-capitalism is AP calculus.

Are you sure you're not conflating comprehension and agreement?

The basic principles, as you and others have outlined them, seem quite simple. It's the implementation that raises a lot of questions, but I think that is true of any society: What to do about XYZ?

Old 06-30-2018, 06:17 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,353,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Interesting conversation. The idea of arbitration for minor and non violent offenses makes sense and the fine that would be levied for that would be appropriate.

I wonder about the private prison situation that he put forward. Would it be the insurance companies that kept track of violators should they decide not to go live in the private prison? Say someone committed murder and was found guilty then shunned by local people but moved to another area where he was known by no one. In his scenario there would be insurance to cover for the victims but he did say this was not the norm - the insurance covering accidental or intentional harms that is.

Prison is more about paying a debt but it doesn't do anything for victims other than retribution. Nothing to help them financially recover, especially if the main earner is the loss. Yes we have civil suits but that makes lawyers rich and no guarantee of positive outcome.
I would assume the internet would be very helpful with keeping track of people. There are flaws in any solution, but I think there could be some official or unofficial databases that can be accessed anywhere. As mentioned earlier, eBay ratings come to mind...take that general idea and tweak it however necessary.

Also appreciate that you took the time to listen. My mindset has always been that everyone's life is their own, I don't want to run other people's lives, and I don't want my life run by someone else, so what's the least amount of that necessary?

The little section at 12:00 of this video was really influential for me personally. I still think it's one of the best summaries of what government is at its core. One of those "Ahh I never thought of it that way..." moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgnrUz8lAiQ

So when I came across the concept of a stateless society, heard the moral argument for it, agreed with it, but noticed that it clashed with the idea of taxation at all.....I was really conflicted, but I just said "alright, let's research this" and just constantly watched debates and videos, listened to podcasts, etc. and heard a ton of really interesting ideas that made me go...hmmm this could actually work...

Compare that to most people's attitude when presented with the ideas... "That's so crazy it's not even worth responding to", "Well what if...(insert non-stop hypotheticals until you find one that isn't easily answered)... see, told you so. I win."

These people don't have any honest interest in how it could work. They're dead set on dismissing it so they don't have to reexamine their own views.

Last edited by T0103E; 06-30-2018 at 06:26 PM..

Old 06-30-2018, 06:23 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,353,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post

The basic principles, as you and others have outlined them, seem quite simple. It's the implementation that raises a lot of questions, but I think that is true of any society: What to do about XYZ?
Ends over means again.

*shaking head*

One day we're going to break through with you.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:31 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,353,176 times
Walter E. Williams...high on my list of someone I want to get high with. Always love his delivery. He's permanently exasperated.

Good one T0103E.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post

Perhaps, but it's the sheer avoidance of debate from so-called conservatives that makes me question their intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies