Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 12:15 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I’ve seen snopes change wording to fit a “false” or simply not make a claim when it was easily determined.Each time with leftist bias.
Please give an example where you have seen this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 12:16 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Snopes, Wikipedia, Carfax, credit bureaus, NADA, KBB, etc. are all only as good as the information they are fed. "Garbage In, Garbage Out" applies to them all.
While they may be a good guideline, they should never be taken as the absolute truth on anything.
Cynical? Certainly! IMO, one has to be somewhat cynical to survive in the world of today. Insanity may result from not being so.
One has to have the ability to understand data and how to analyze and understand it. Information is the basis of pretty much everything. If you choose to view information and data as “garbage” then it is likely that you also lack the skills to understand and process information.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:18 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Snopes, Wikipedia and pretty much 99% of all stuff on the internet.
and 500% of what comes out of Trumps mouth is a lie

Old 06-30-2018, 12:30 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Snopes does do a lot of fact-finding, but they have been wrong at times. I have seen Quora (take that with a grain of salt for certain things) comments confirming Snopes does have biases.
cite 3 or 4 examples. I know of a few that Snopes in fact acknowledges. But I am looking for ones where they did not acknowledge or rewrite the finding.

Note that in the OP Snopes acknowledges that they can be wrong.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
And it didn't helped when Snopes was this close to bankruptcy and one of the founders was accused of fraud adding a battle with a co-founder. Snopes on brink as founder accused of fraud and lying | Daily Mail Online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu2zLSEsW7s
Daily Mail hatchet job. Read the wired story in the OP. Much better narration of what happened.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:34 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
This is where the really smart people go for their facts.
read:STUDY: Watching Fox News Makes You Less Informed Than Watching No News At All - Business Insider

Old 06-30-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
What excuse is there for supporting a foreign influence from Canada or any other nation in our politics that effect elections ? I suppose she could have been a Canadian without ever being influenced by it. Calls for an investigation just to be consistent.
Barbara has been out of Snope for at least five years.
So the independent once Republican is in charge.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:48 PM

37,203 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Ran into the right wing myth that Snopes is not credible.

Came across this early Snopes comment on the subject:

No single truth purveyor, no matter how reliable, should be considered an infallible font of accurate information. Folks make mistakes. Or they get duped. Or they have a bad day at the fact-checking bureau. Or some days they’re just being silly. To not allow for any of this is to risk stepping into a pothole the size of Lake Superior.

That was in a piece called "False Authority" in 2001. Tends to show the view that all of this should be taken with a grain of salt.

That quote comes from the best view I have come across on the Snopes controversy.

https://www.wired.com/story/snopes-a...st-fact-world/
How about share with all of us the site where you go personally to fact check the truth of stories you hear or read? We'd all like to be as informed, and it sounds like you have discovered the ultimate truth site. I think I speak for a lot of us who post here.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:51 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Barbara has been out of Snope for at least five years.
So the independent once Republican is in charge.
Maybe you could educate everyone on the fables of labels. How a succinct fictional story about claiming to be one thing while acting as another never happens.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
How about share with all of us the site where you go personally to fact check the truth of stories you hear or read? We'd all like to be as informed, and it sounds like you have discovered the ultimate truth site. I think I speak for a lot of us who post here.

Thanks in advance.
I consider Snopes to be a good place to start. Then I read the references there if applicable. I would note though that Snopes is seldom available on a fresh story.

I also use any of the more neutral sources...NPR, AP, Reuters, BBC. I will certainly consider the NY Times and Wapo who often have the best reporting. I will use Fox particularly on right wing stories not covered by the neutral and left. And Breibart, Daily Mail, NY Post to see what the right is saying.

Then you look at the overall thing and try to find truth.

The Huckabee version is a good example. Pretty much entirely reported in the right wing press. But they were all very careful of how they reported it. All very carefully quoted Huckabee but none added anything to the Huckabee quote. That of course suggests they do not have material supportive of Huckabee. So when Snopes comes out and says it pretty much did not happen their report is credible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies