Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 03:50 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,300,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It will overrule Roe v. Wade, allowing states to ban abortions and to criminally prosecute any physicians and nurses who perform them. It will allow shopkeepers, restaurateurs, and hotel owners to refuse service to gay customers on religious grounds. It will guarantee that fewer African-American and Latino students attend Ă©lite universities. It will approve laws designed to hinder voting rights. It will sanction execution by grotesque means. It will invoke the Second Amendment to prohibit states from engaging in gun control, including the regulation of machine guns and bump stocks.

And these are just the issues that draw the most attention. In many respects, the most important right-wing agenda item for the judiciary is the undermining of the regulatory state.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ennedys-legacy

Now I realize that the Trumpers will consider the above to be a dream come true, but if and when all those decisions take place, and if Trump continues to pull away from our traditional allies and befriend our enemies, I wonder that the overall reaction will be by voters in 2020 or 2024?

Here’s a tweet from liberal law professor Lawrence Tribe.

Quote:
If SCOTUS overturns Roe v. Wade in 2019 or 2020, I’d predict a massive backlash: Dems would win the presidency and both the House and Senate in Nov 2020, and Congress would enact a law adding 2 seats to SCOTUS in 2021 or 2022. Remember there’s no constitutional magic in nine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 04:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
i think everything you posted and linked to is just the warped imagination of a trump hating liberal. there have been plenty of chances to overturn roe v wade, and other issues, and it hasnt happened.

the scotus is loathe to overturn previous ruling, unless the previous rulings were bad ones to begin with.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:44 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,396,257 times
Toobin's opinion is just that -- one man's opinion. That and a nickel won't even get you a gumball any more.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:49 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i think everything you posted and linked to is just the warped imagination of a trump hating liberal. there have been plenty of chances to overturn roe v wade, and other issues, and it hasnt happened.

the scotus is loathe to overturn previous ruling, unless the previous rulings were bad ones to begin with.

correct.

Now I do think Roe v Wade will return to the restrictions in place in the years directly after passage, meaning I do expect a 20 week time limit, approx, on abortions.

But not a full repeal.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
correct.

Now I do think Roe v Wade will return to the restrictions in place in the years directly after passage, meaning I do expect a 20 week time limit, approx, on abortions.

But not a full repeal.

i can see that.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:22 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,403,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Toobin's opinion is just that -- one man's opinion. That and a nickel won't even get you a gumball any more.
Toobin's one of the best pundits on cable news, though. His opinion matters.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:54 PM

40,953 posts, read 49,221,262 times
What makes you think all Trumpers think Abortion should be illegal? Most of the ones I know don't. I've known many Conservative women who have had abortions.

Most Repubs like Trump are actually very Moderate.

Big fallacy spread by Dems to motivate their base.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:46 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Why not wait until the court actually acts to panic? Is President Trump doing such a great job that we have to invent future predictions of what might happen to criticize him now?

From what I've read, it would be unusual for the SCOTUS to overturn what has been set as past precedent by an earlier court. It has been done, of course. Plessy vs. Ferguson, which upheld the constitutionality of segregation, was eventually overturned.

As long as polling shows significant opposition of abortion bans, it is unlikely to change. That's how things work in this country. In 2000 there were overwrought cries from Democrats that W Bush would ban abortion. I wrote a letter to my local paper saying, no, Bush is not going to do that. It turned out I was right.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:55 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,437,286 times
That's a lot of drama considering no one has even been nominated yet, let alone confirmed and repealing amendments and overturning previous decisions. When they asked Roberts during his confirmation hearing how he would rule on a case involving abortion (I'm paraphrasing now but), he'd have to read it first although he didn't see anything changing because it's very old well established law. In other words he'd rule on it based on the constitution and past precedence (that's already been well established)...he'd rule on law, not write law.

I would hope that whom ever Trump nominates will treat the law the same way and not judge based on their idea that the constitution is a living document that evolves and needs to be reinterpreted over time (like a more recent appointee). I might be a little off on that description but, know it's some thing along those lines.

BTW, I would never want a child I was responsible for to be aborted but, that's just me...I believe others should be allowed to have their choice. I have to admit though, I hate it when I see it being used like birth control.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:10 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,277,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ennedys-legacy

Now I realize that the Trumpers will consider the above to be a dream come true, but if and when all those decisions take place, and if Trump continues to pull away from our traditional allies and befriend our enemies, I wonder that the overall reaction will be by voters in 2020 or 2024?

Here’s a tweet from liberal law professor Lawrence Tribe.

befriend our enemies??? you mean being diplomatic and stir away from wars. Yeah, we can't have that....we need endless wars and endless occupations.

Pull away from our traditional allies? you mean re-do our trade deals and immigration system that has been bad for wages and jobs for middle America?.......yeah I'm sure most Americans will be outraged that finally we have a President that puts Americans first and actually does what he promised compared to previous Presidents.

the new yorker and liberals are hystericals.......the kennedy legacy? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies