Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2018, 12:11 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,215,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
thou shalt maintain thine air speed lest the ground reach up and smite thee
And I have been successful in that endeavour and will in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 12:20 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,863 times
records are made to be broken.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:11 PM

33,528 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Heat wave deaths in Quebec now 17 and still climbing.
Update....Thirty-three deaths have been linked to the heat wave that has gripped Quebec over the last few days, health officials confirmed Thursday. https://globalnews.ca/news/4313927/h...ths-in-quebec/

https://www.nrdc.org/climate-change-...reme-heat#/map

Old 07-05-2018, 03:28 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
More signs of global warming. I expect the same nonsense, inanities, and vacuous comments from the Global Warming denialists. The rising worldwide temperatures are what are predicted from anthropological climate change. The science is settled on this matter.

The purpose of this thread is to point out the trends. If you care about future generations, you will want action taken immediately. If not, I suppose they can just burn.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...cid=spartanntp
Fail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1911_E...rica_heat_wave

https://weather.com/storms/winter/ne...-early-january

While September 2017 was probably the warmest I can recall for a September, I think December 2017 was one of the coldest Decembers I can recall. There was snowfall in Illinois seen all the way through May (not that much in May, but it was discernible as snow.) Also, I can, in high school, that we had snowfall in late October one year.

As for fearing global warmng, maybe you shouldn't let nuke-happy countries like Iran get the ability and money to go build nuclear weapons.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:30 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I’ve been doing all I can for the last 15 years personally. I drive an efficient car, I don’t burn fossil fuels for entertainment. My utility is an industry leader in green energy production.
It might be easier to take the climate change people seriously if they didn't refer to carbon dioxide, a product emitted by humans and animals breathing, as a pollutant.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:00 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,704,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well the world is a selfish place. The Paris accords benefited just about everyone except the USA. We did have the honor and pleasure of footing a large amount of the bill though. China and India possibly the 2 worst offenders on the planet were getting a pretty good deal and off very cheaply in comparison.
With privileges come burdens. The privilege of being the world's sole superpower, having the principal reserve-currency, dominating the popular-culture and claiming "exceptional" status, means willingly and gladly accepting inferior options and shouldering outsized responsibilities. It means protecting nations that bristle at being protected. It means accepting refugees that other nations with unassailable justification turn away. It means being the first to offer aid when disasters strike, but the last to expect foreign-aid when disasters strike here at home. It means agreeing to international treaties that cost America more than they cost any other country, that bestow fewer benefits on its residents and demand higher sacrifices. It means knowingly and willingly taking it in the proverbial shorts - decade after decade, generation after generation - and never complaining.

America is the captain of the world's team. To be captain means that you're the last to receive a fresh jersey. You get the least convenient locker. You receive the brunt of the tirades and invectives from the coach. When the crowd boos the team, their jeers are directed primarily at you. You're expected to be the first to dress-out, and the last to hit the showers. And when awards are handed out, you're last in line to receive them.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:08 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,515,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
With privileges come burdens. The privilege of being the world's sole superpower, having the principal reserve-currency, dominating the popular-culture and claiming "exceptional" status, means willingly and gladly accepting inferior options and shouldering outsized responsibilities. It means protecting nations that bristle at being protected. It means accepting refugees that other nations with unassailable justification turn away. It means being the first to offer aid when disasters strike, but the last to expect foreign-aid when disasters strike here at home. It means agreeing to international treaties that cost America more than they cost any other country, that bestow fewer benefits on its residents and demand higher sacrifices. It means knowingly and willingly taking it in the proverbial shorts - decade after decade, generation after generation - and never complaining.

America is the captain of the world's team. To be captain means that you're the last to receive a fresh jersey. You get the least convenient locker. You receive the brunt of the tirades and invectives from the coach. When the crowd boos the team, their jeers are directed primarily at you. You're expected to be the first to dress-out, and the last to hit the showers. And when awards are handed out, you're last in line to receive them.
At least that is what Obama eagerly wanted it to mean. But Obama is gone, thankfully.

Now it is time for something new. We are no longer what you have described, just the biggest and most successful country in human history. It does not follow that we have to redistribute all of our wealth in order to even everything out.

America will continue to help and support, not because we owe it to anyone, but because we are generous like that. If what we give is not enough for some people going forward, perhaps including you, too bad.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:26 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,731,625 times
Quote:
More signs of global warming. I expect the same nonsense, inanities, and vacuous comments from the Global Warming denialists. The rising worldwide temperatures are what are predicted from anthropological climate change. The science is settled on this matter.

The purpose of this thread is to point out the trends. If you care about future generations, you will want action taken immediately. If not, I suppose they can just burn.

Try Solving Reality:
  • The human population of Earth is still increasing.
  • The percentage of that population living in desperate poverty (thereby having a minimal carbon footprint) is plummeting.
  • Millions are increasing their wealth sufficient to have access to first-world energy consuming luxuries every single day.
  • The energy consumption per person is increasing rapidly and not decreasing like environmentalists insist it needs to.
  • Cheaper energy sells.
  • If you can't make it cheaper, you can't sell in the long run.
  • Fossil fuels provide cheap energy.
  • Sometimes, heat waves cannot be provably connected to human caused climate change.
  • Sometimes the climate changes all by itself for reasons that we don't fully understand.
  • Planet Earth has seen extreme climate change repeatedly over the past 4.7 billion years, most of it before humans existed.
  • So no the science isn't settled -- that in spite of the fact that I mostly agree that humans are having a significant impact.
  • So some people are going to continue to disagree with the whole global warming thing.
  • This makes it difficult to get everyone onboard with doing something about all of it.
  • Solar and wind energy actually have a surprisingly high carbon footprint.
  • Every source of energy that we have is flawed in one way or another.

There's the problem. Who can solve it??

Old 07-05-2018, 04:58 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,704,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
We are no longer what you have described, just the biggest and most successful country in human history. It does not follow that we have to redistribute all of our wealth in order to even everything out.

America will continue to help and support, not because we owe it to anyone, but because we are generous like that. If what we give is not enough for some people going forward, perhaps including you, too bad.
The point is neither to be generous nor to "even everything out". Rather, the point is to continue the primacy of leadership. And doing that, means offering to others, what they are unable or unwilling to offer reciprocally to us (the "us" being from the American perspective). It is NOT altruism or good world-citizenship, but ultimately self-serving calculation. To be blunt and a bit gauche about it, it's buying friends. People (using the term to mean nations, cultures, societies,...) won't follow mere ideals, good stories or good examples. They need to be shown that their own narrow interests are advanced by following the leader. Often, this means that the leader accedes to receiving less, leaving more for others. This means that the people living in the leader-nation have to pay more, and receive less... not from some pan-human desire for altruism or leveling, but as part of the "long game" strategy.

Last edited by ohio_peasant; 07-05-2018 at 06:21 PM..

Old 07-05-2018, 05:02 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,579 times
Quote:

Every generation has it's own problems.The climate will do what it does. Nobody can stop it, and to be honest, iI won't give up acintillan of lifestyle for an uncertain future for people who might, just as easily be killed in the next Ice Age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies