Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 09:27 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I personally think all firearms should be registered, paperwork should be documented on all transfers of weapons public and private, and liability insurance should be required on each weapon owned. All owners should be licensed, just like drivers, and anyone whose weapon is used in a crime had better be able to prove it was stolen from under lock and key or face charges of complicity in the crime.

An alternate would be to have all weapons stored in a central armory and checked out and in, and ID should be required for all purchases of self-contained ammuntion and all components purchased separately.

You never answered the question. If there is no record of ownership, how do you identify the owner? It's really a very simple question to answer, if you're honest.
So you think the right should be turned into a privilege.

Firearm trace

If anyone were to breech my safes and something were to go missing, I have serial numbers to give to police.
Not only do I have the manufacturers serial numbers I have make model caliber color features and I go a step further with engraving initials of significance to me into
Bolt carriers, Bolts
Magazine wells
Underside of slides of pistols.

So even if a scumbag were to get rid of the serial numbers on a receiver, they'd have to trash critical components. My stuff were to ever get stolen it would be recovered.
Suppressors too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 09:30 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Do they get returned to the registered owners?
I can't believe you really don't know!

I thought even non-intelligent people today know how to do searches on the Internet.

I guess I was wrong!

Old 07-05-2018, 09:32 AM

Different states have different methods of firearm traces.
FDLE Stolen Guns

For FFL holders, they deal with local state and the ATF as well.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
What becomes of guns confiscated at crime scenes?
They become 'evidence'.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:36 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
I personally think all firearms should be registered, paperwork should be documented on all transfers of weapons public and private, and liability insurance should be required on each weapon owned. All owners should be licensed, just like drivers, and anyone whose weapon is used in a crime had better be able to prove it was stolen from under lock and key or face charges of complicity in the crime.

An alternate would be to have all weapons stored in a central armory and checked out and in, and ID should be required for all purchases of self-contained ammuntion and all components purchased separately.

You never answered the question. If there is no record of ownership, how do you identify the owner? It's really a very simple question to answer, if you're honest.
My insurance agent has all that information in case of fire or theft. If I had one stolen I would file a report with police. I have all of that information on a thumb drive in a safe. even my 80%ers have some distinct markings.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:53 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:

I personally think all internet users should be registered, paperwork should be documented on all forum posts public and private, and liable/slander insurance should be required on each forum post made. All posters should be licensed, just like drivers, and anyone whose post is deemed slanderous had better be able to prove it was a mistake or face charges of complicity in the crime.

An alternate would be to have all forum posts reviewed by central authority before being made public, and ID should be required for signing up for a forum so that you are not anonymous.

Quote:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/report-...heft-or-loss-0

Old 07-05-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My insurance agent has all that information in case of fire or theft. If I had one stolen I would file a report with police. I have all of that information on a thumb drive in a safe.
contents.
With Florida no registry can exist. Insurance company does not get serial numbers, they get appraised value under contents.

What cuebald proposes is mirroring automobile model.
Pay monthly/quarterly/annually for insurance. Insurance company has make model serial number description separate from "contents".

What cuebald proposes is unconstitutional. Both at surface level and practical levels.
The central armory violates the right to both Keep and Bear.
The licensing and insuring violates the right and turns it into a privilege.
Also seeks to villanize the victim of theft as complicit in crime.

Yes there is common sense and responsibility with owning firearms.
However, they want to subjectively declare what is common sense and responsible as law in a sort of noble attempt at cutting crime.

Follow their logic, would they be okay with someone stealing their vehicle getting into a pursuit and killing someone? Technology with automobiles is not infallible. I know what circuits do what and how to override them. I can successfully defeat most manufacturers anti theft devices and have a vehicle running in minutes. I have to override faulty security issues and limp mode/de-rate/engine shut down when I was a mechanic. No key required. Hand me a wiring diagram and I can defeat antitheft programed strategies. Just like a firearm safe. Some can be defeated without the combination/key if someone is smart and determined enough. If someone like me were to steal their car and kill someone with it during a pursuit would they be so quick to accept culpability/complicity for supplying the theif with a car to steal?

The focus should be on criminals. Then their efforts would truly be noble.
To propose some draconian measure that would alter and change the law abiding is improper and unconstitutional.
I can propose counters to crime that don't involve a registry, that don't make rights into privileges, and don't require federal bureaucracy or state bureaucracy even, to focus on the element that plagues both gun owners and anti gun advocates.
They'll say no of course... because it flies in the face of what they consider possible, feasible, and contradicts everything they've been led to believe to be effective.

All it starts with is simply enforcing the laws currently on the books. Plain and simple. They work when they are enforced...

As Robert_J proposes alterations made to the 1st amendment I can apply the same to every other civil liberty on the books.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:08 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
How do you identify the owner if there is no registration, e.g. record of ownership?

Looks like the Chief just got another nifty Glock for free, huh...?
What a ridiculous question!

How do you identify the owner for every stolen thing in the world??? Surprisingly, people have been doing that since the dawn of the ownership of private property.

People report their lost or stolen properties to the police. They describe them and/or provide photographs, receipts and serial numbers.

Since virtually every gun has a serial number, if my gun is stolen, I'd file a police report with my gun's serial number.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:14 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
contents.
With Florida no registry can exist. Insurance company does not get serial numbers, they get appraised value under contents.

What cuebald proposes is mirroring automobile model.
Pay monthly/quarterly/annually for insurance. Insurance company has make model serial number description separate from "contents".

What cuebald proposes is unconstitutional. Both at surface level and practical levels.
The central armory violates the right to both Keep and Bear.
The licensing and insuring violates the right and turns it into a privilege.
Also seeks to villanize the victim of theft as complicit in crime.

Yes there is common sense and responsibility with owning firearms.
However, they want to subjectively declare what is common sense and responsible as law in a sort of noble attempt at cutting crime.

Follow their logic, would they be okay with someone stealing their vehicle getting into a pursuit and killing someone? Technology with automobiles is not infallible. I know what circuits do what and how to override them. I can successfully defeat most manufacturers anti theft devices and have a vehicle running in minutes. I have to override faulty security issues and limp mode/de-rate/engine shut down when I was a mechanic. No key required. Hand me a wiring diagram and I can defeat antitheft programed strategies. Just like a firearm safe. Some can be defeated without the combination/key if someone is smart and determined enough. If someone like me were to steal their car and kill someone with it during a pursuit would they be so quick to accept culpability/complicity for supplying the theif with a car to steal?

The focus should be on criminals. Then their efforts would truly be noble.
To propose some draconian measure that would alter and change the law abiding is improper and unconstitutional.
I can propose counters to crime that don't involve a registry, that don't make rights into privileges, and don't require federal bureaucracy or state bureaucracy even, to focus on the element that plagues both gun owners and anti gun advocates.
They'll say no of course... because it flies in the face of what they consider possible, feasible, and contradicts everything they've been led to believe to be effective.

All it starts with is simply enforcing the laws currently on the books. Plain and simple. They work when they are enforced...

As Robert_J proposes alterations made to the 1st amendment I can apply the same to every other civil liberty on the books.
I really trust my agent otherwise that information would be withheld. He's family and shoots with me. I do have a LOT of firearms that have no serial number so the documentation is all pictures. Hardly any firearm made before 1950 had any real ID just a duplicate number for batch or version. I have a box of old military rifles that all have the exact same number. It looks like a serial number but obviously it isn't. I'm guessing it's a crate number.

Does every gun owner take a daily role call of their safe? I know I don't, it would take too long.

It's asinine to blame a victim for something getting stolen. We don't blame car owners for their car getting jacked yet some seem to think that works for a gun.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:22 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:

This is so asinine. If one has no proof of ownership, he can't prove anything, but what are you trying to pull here?

If you drop a $100 bill on the ground, and I pick it up, how do you prove the money is yours? You can't. Since the money is now in my hand, it's mine.

Like every other property, if a gun owner doesn't have receipt, pictures or even know the serial number of his lost gun, the gun becomes state's property.

So what's the problem? People lose expensive diamond rings/necklace etc. all the time. How do they prove the ownership?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies