Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 06:01 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,186,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Traditionally conservatives have supported free trade, but now they are compelled to support government getting involved in it instead. So much for principles.

What did you not like about TPP, other than that fact that would have removed the tariffs you claim to hate. No, Hillary did not support it, and Sanders supported Trump nixing it. You are in their camp.
We all know exactly what the "problem" with TPP was to Trump and conservatives. It was Obama's and we have to pretend like he didn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 06:08 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,692,373 times
"Why did it take the American mid-west to be literally destroyed economically before a President came along to address the issue of unfair trade?"

Well, it's because Trump has the biggest mouth of any POTUS in history and pretty much lets it run on minute by minute with a stream of consciousness.

Let me answer a question with a question. When do we get that "MUCH better health care for ALL much cheaper?" - when you get that you'll have your real answer...which is that he is a BSer and Con Man.

Quite simple. Talk is cheap. 18 months in and the stock market has gone nowhere this year and wages and buyer power are either level or down. Now we can add tariffs to that hurting.

Unfair trade? In whose opinion?

You know what I think is unfair and represents VAST more money? Borrowing 1.5 TRILLION from your kids and grandkids to give it to wealthy people! Hey, look over here at this 60 or 100 Billion while I fleece you over there for Trillions.

As far as the midwest - no one forced Detroit to produce terrible automobiles for decades. But they did. No one forced corporations to merge and cut their wages in 1/2 and use immigrant labor. But they did. No one forced the common man to be uneducated so that he actually celebrated with glee when his union was done away with by Big Business and Government policy. But he was....

90% of American problems are self-inflicted wounds. If you leave your safe outside on the ground open full of 100 bills the problem is not in the people that harvest it. The problem is that you lacked common sense.

And so does the American voter who often votes against his or her own interests...or doesn't vote at all.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:16 AM

8,388 posts, read 4,376,951 times
What many do not realize is that NAFTA nearly balanced trade between the US, Canada and Mexico. Yes, the US was running a slight deficit, but when compared to trade with the rest of the world, it was minimal. So here was a system that was working pretty well and instead of perhaps trying to expand it to other countries, Trump just blew it all to hell, primarily because it wasn't his idea.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:19 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,507,590 times
An example of alternative information:

The truth about trade - Baltimore Sun

"And perhaps the greatest fiction of all is that past presidents weren’t motivated by an “America First” attitude toward trade and that previous administrations were just being generous to other countries. What a bunch of hooey. The difference is not that Mr. Trump is the first president who wanted U.S. businesses to succeed, it’s that he’s the first in modern history to not recognize how greater prosperity, and the political stability that comes with it, makes the world a better place for all."

Old 07-06-2018, 06:20 AM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times
We've been taken advantage of by foreign countries in unfair trade practices since the 1950's or perhaps longer. We lost the trade wars long ago, and our manufacturing base has shown the results. Previous Presidents of BOTH parties were negligent in allowing this to occur, and continue. I just don't think they understood business, and the economy well enough, nor did they want to suffer that brain damage of making wholesale changes like Trump is doing.

It is difficult to negotiate, and the previous Presidents just kicked the can down the road. Partially due to pure laziness, and not wanting the short term heart burn that goes along with negotiating, even if there are long term benefits to be gained.

Trump is right though. We do have most of the cards.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:09 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,864,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
In 2017, the US imported $602 billion in generic drugs, televisions, clothing, and other household items. It only exported $198 billion of consumer goods. By purchasing goods overseas for a long enough, U.S. companies lose the expertise and even the factories to make those products. Just try finding a pair of shoes made in the America. As the US loses competitiveness, it outsources more jobs, and its standard of living declines. Big business gets richer as you're willing to be paid less to have a job. It hurts Americans who need jobs but globalist don't want you to know that.

You may not want to believe it because of what the left tells you but Trump is standing up for and fighting for a better quality of life for Americans.

If you want to see who really causes us to buy more from other countries than we make here and export, look in the mirror...........it is you and I. We all SAY we would buy American products, but we lie. We are cheap, and look for the best price we can get.

When you have American workers wanting to make good money per hour, and then you have workers in other countries making pennies, it is only logical that they can crank out products and services much cheaper than we do.

I have a very good friend in the trailer manufacturing business. He is absolutely pro American, but he told me he is being forced to have his components made overseas and shipped her to be assembled, because he wants to stay in business. He hated that decision, it eats at him, but his competition is doing it, so he must do the same.

All of us lie about how we look for only American products. We may LOOK for them, but we buy the cheaper version that came from somewhere else. Hell, even Donald Trump has his clothes and other products made in other countries, and I never hear one peep out of his cult about him doing that !

Old 07-06-2018, 07:14 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945;52409215[B
]If you want to see who really caused us to buy more from other countries than we make here and export, look in the mirror...........it is you and I. We all SAY we would buy American products, but we lie. We are cheap, and look for the best price we can get.[/b]

When you have American workers wanting to make good money per hour, and then you have workers in other countries making pennies, it is only logical that they can crank out products and services much cheaper than we do.

I have a very good friend in the trailer manufacturing business. He is absolutely pro American, but he told me he is being forced to have his components made overseas and shipped her to be assembled, because he wants to stay in business. He hated that decision, it eats at him, but his competition is doing it, so he must do the same.

All of us lie about how we look for only American products. We may LOOK for them, but we buy the cheaper version that came from somewhere else. Hell, even Donald Trump has his clothes and other products made in other countries, and I never hear one peep out of his cult about him doing that !
WALMART and TARGET -- whether you prefer one or the other -- ONLY are successful because they provide CHEAP, inexpensive items that they have made overseas.

We can't produce the same product for the same price. We just can't.

And -- we are also becoming a society that wants to have access to produce when we want it. That means we are importing produce.

I try to buy local as much as possible. I choose the local produce first....but sometimes it isn't there.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:31 AM

27,599 posts, read 28,706,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Wow, a lot of consistency there about NAFTA from our lady Hillary Clinton.

lol

Old 07-06-2018, 08:41 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,071,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't remember hearing any previous President mention anything about this. I doubt that most people are even aware that foreign countries have been using America as their Piggy bank for decades.

Why did it take the American mid-west to be literally destroyed economically before a President came along to address the issue of unfair trade?
Bush and Obama tried tariffs you can google the outcomes of them. The difference is that both these Administrations were dealing with wars to have it front and center as a talking point like Trump is broadcasting all over the place. What was being reported during the previous two administrations was US soldiers constantly being blown up. Day in day out all news networks were reporting it and kept asking when are we getting out. Today we are not hearing about war on terror. So Trump as the freedom to concentrate on domestic issues.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:45 AM

19,658 posts, read 12,251,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
WALMART and TARGET -- whether you prefer one or the other -- ONLY are successful because they provide CHEAP, inexpensive items that they have made overseas.

We can't produce the same product for the same price. We just can't.

And -- we are also becoming a society that wants to have access to produce when we want it. That means we are importing produce.

I try to buy local as much as possible. I choose the local produce first....but sometimes it isn't there.
But why do we need so much "cheap" stuff? Or even want it?

As far as produce, I am fine with seasonal produce.

These are small sacrifices it seems if we want to not be so dependent on imports. It would take a shift of mindset which we could use in more ways than one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies