Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 04:29 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,327,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
he was talking about thousand point of light, i did not see him say anything about senior bush.

Let me spell this out for you in simple to understand terms. If someone bad mouths the term 'Make America Great' your mind automatically goes to Mr. Trump because it's a term he/his people coined to represent what he claims he wants to do. It's the same with Bush's 'thousand points of light.' It's a term associated with his campaign, his call for volunteerism through out his presidency and with his Points of Light Foundation that his family established and still runs to this day. You can't say nasty things about a coined motto like these and claim you're not aiming at the men who made them famous. Trump was trying to belittle a foundation that the Bush family are very proud of by claiming not to understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 04:32 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,853,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Let me spell this out for you in simple to understand terms. If someone bad mouths the term 'Make America Great' your mind automatically goes to Mr. Trump because it's a term he/his people coined to represent what he claims he wants to do. It's the same with Bush's 'thousand points of light.' It's a term associated with his campaign, his call for volunteerism through out his presidency and with his Points of Light Foundation that his family established and still runs to this day. You can't say nasty things about a coined motto like these and claim you're not aiming at the men who made them famous. Trump was trying to belittle a foundation that the Bush family are very proud of by claiming not to understand it.
Did you vote for George H. W.?

Old 07-08-2018, 04:34 PM

26,577 posts, read 14,480,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
he was talking about thousand point of light, i did not see him say anything about senior bush.

can you link to anything using the phrase that isn't connected to bush sr to give support and context to your claim?

Old 07-08-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
can you link to anything using the phrase that isn't connected to bush sr to give support and context to your claim?
Bush borrowed it, so can Trump.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...rticle4083615/

Where did the metaphor originate? Everyone assumed that presidential speechwriter Peggy Noonan was responsible for its use - and The New York Times quickly identified the probable source: C.S. Lewis's The Magician's Nephew, published in 1955, one of the seven volumes that make up The Chronicles of Narnia, the captivating allegorical fantasies of a parallel universe in which animals talk and Christ assumes the form of a lion.
Although written as the sixth book in the series, The Magician's Nephew is actually the prequel: Creation. "One moment there had been nothing but darkness," Lewis wrote, "next moment a thousand, thousand points of light leaped out - single stars, constellations, and planets, brighter and bigger than any in our world."

Old 07-08-2018, 05:04 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,327,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Did you vote for George H. W.?

What difference does that make? Does it change the truth in post you're commenting on? No, I didn't vote for him but I respect that he was willing to spend his entire adult life in service to his country. I respect and like the Bush woman and don't think it's right for the current president to make snarly remarks about Bush SR while his in his last days on earth so his family feels like they have to defend his legacy. Trump is a petty, man with no compassion or empathy in his black soul.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
What difference does that make? Does it change the truth in post you're commenting on? No, I didn't vote for him but I respect that he was willing to spend his entire adult life in service to his country. I respect and like the Bush woman and don't think it's right for the current president to make snarly remarks about Bush SR while his in his last days on earth so his family feels like they have to defend his legacy. Trump is a petty, man with no compassion or empathy in his black soul.
I guess I am just wondering if you defended him so passionately when he was President or is it just when you want to attack President Trump for everything he says that you become passionate about a Republican.
Of course finding out that the Bushes aren't Trump supporters probably stirs up the compassion for HW.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:28 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,852,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
I guess I am just wondering if you defended him so passionately when he was President or is it just when you want to attack President Trump for everything he says that you become passionate about a Republican.
Of course finding out that the Bushes aren't Trump supporters probably stirs up the compassion for HW.
Many of us criticizing Trump only seem like we do it all the time because Trump frequently says so many incredibly stupid things. Take this case. Trump came out against American volunteerism. What sense does that make?

Old 07-08-2018, 05:28 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,584,853 times
Quote:

Let me state the obvious here.

That lucid, concise explanation was NOT simple enough to register with your intended audience.

Just sayin'...

Old 07-08-2018, 05:29 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,113,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Many of us criticizing Trump only seem like we do it all the time because Trump frequently says so many incredibly stupid things. Take this case. Trump came out against American volunteerism. What sense does that make?
People doing things out of the goodness of their hearts. That's a foreign concept to Trump.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:38 PM

8,502 posts, read 6,921,280 times
I don't pay any attention to it any more. The BS things he says is just a part of his campaign style yokel stump speech. Put him in bib overalls and a pitchfork and it would be even more amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies