Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2018, 04:01 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
what exactly is wrong with the term and how is it specifically relevant to trump's speech 30years after it's use?
If this is such a big deal to liberals that they huff and puff about it, it is because they've got nothing else. It's ridiculous which is why it has no effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 04:03 PM

26,584 posts, read 14,454,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
If this is such a big deal ......

you avoided the question.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:04 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,144,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Trump's comments should be condemned by everyone. True heroes and not a phony and fraudulent one like Trump. But Trump will not be condemned because we live in a small and diminishing society where mockery, is considered by a great many, is to be praised and not condemned.
There is no civility in the age of Trump. Only bile.
Trump under fire for criticizing ailing 94-year-old George HW Bush | Daily Mail Online
Yes, "bile" is exactly right. It makes sense that he didn't understand the "points of light" - it was about compassion, something alien to Trump.

And, yes, it's even worse how many people don't mind that kind of mean, petty, heartless nastiness that Trump spews.

Of course, the thing to keep in mind is that Trump is in his 70s himself, and likely in worse physical shape than either of them. I doubt he's likely to reach his 90s. And Trump isn't lucky enough to have a loving family the way Bush/McCain do. He'd better hold only Ivanka.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:05 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,750,449 times
Of all the nonsense, fake outrage stories this week, this is the winner. Trump has nothing to apologize for.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:06 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,750,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Yes, "bile" is exactly right.

And, yes, it's even worse how many people don't mind that kind of mean, petty, heartless nastiness that Trump spews.

Of course, the thing to keep in mind is that Trump is in his 70s himself, and likely in worse physical shape than either of them. I doubt he's likely to reach his 90s.

Referencing "A thousand points of lights" is "mean, petty, heartless nastiness"? Go to your safe space snowflake.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:08 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
you avoided the question.
I mean the truth all the time not just in this speech. Liberals hate President Trump so much that they only hear what they want to hear. This is a constant drone which becomes ineffective. I am done with this part of it. Trump did not bash an 90 something year old man. He mocked the comment which is flowery speech.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:18 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,589,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Don - that is your opinion and your right to disagree - for 8 yrs - I never watched Obama's speeches - State of the Unions ect.. because I couldn't stomach the man. I felt he mocked Americans - he created divisions instead of working with everyone for a common cause - he aligned himself with despicable people and seldom said a word against them. He may have been a good orator but he was a smug human being who didn't care and look out for our best interests - only what made him look good.

So you continue to hate on Trump - but realize Obama's actions and lack of action alienated many of us who have moved on to the Walk Away campaign. We are part of the silent majority and more are joining daily because they are sick of the hypocrisy in the Democratic party and people like yourself that spew such hate. So much for the party of tolerance.
I did not like Obama. I voted against him twice. At the end of the day, I thought his foreign policy was a disaster. However, I never ever got the impression that he was trying to widen divisions. I thought for the most part his speeches went out of their way to be inclusive. The opposite is true of Trump.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:18 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
As stated - I had no idea what the reference was and I doubt 99% of Americans do either.
Are you a young person, as in under the age of thirty-five? The phrase "thousand points of light" was a refrain that Bush Sr. returned to over and over again in his campaign and in his presidency. It's probably the phrase most identified with him. He also hates broccoli, but you can be excused if you missed that tidbit.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:20 PM

26,584 posts, read 14,454,648 times
Quote:
Trump did not bash an 90 something year old man. He mocked the comment which is flowery speech.

so, your belief is that trump cherry-picked a 30year old quote to make some unspoken point about using "flowery speech" ( simple metaphors ) and the fact that the phrase is connected to ghw bush is just purely coincidental.

ok.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:48 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
I Liberals hated him during his presidency.
That's just not true. I have never 'hated' any president until the cheeto.

Nixon and Johnson came close, because I really disliked some of their policies.

Yes, I am a Democrat and a Liberal; always have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies