Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 07:23 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,492,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Oh, for God’s sake. I think Trump says some of the most idiotic things on Earth and could benefit from a gag. Further, I think Bush Senior was a one of the most underrated and under appreciated presidents in my lifetime, and I really, really liked him when he was in office. But Trump said nothing insulting to Bush. He made a negative comment about something that I would expect his greedy little self to be disdainful of - 1000 Points of Light. Not the man who came up with the term, the term itself.

I said this before, Trump does plenty of things to get outraged over, there is no reason for people to go looking for things to blow up into something it is not. I, for one, am flat out desensitized to complaints about him because I have been overexposed to people getting themselves in a dither over things that either don’t matter and are exaggerated to the point of absurdity. This fits in the latter category.
It matters because it sets the tone for what is considered acceptable discourse. It is possible to disagree with one's politics and policies without personally demeaning others. The fact that the President of the US seems to revel in the very swamp he promised to drain for no apparent reason than to feed his egotistical need for the instant gratification of cheering fans is a sad reflection on society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 07:26 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,853,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
He over played it when mocking that guy...he just did.

And -- can we all admit -- even if we had the childish, boarish habit of making ridiculous faces, voices and hand gestures to mock someone to make ourselves look better....wouldn't you be careful doing it when you know that someone has obvious physical traits that look like your childish behaviour.

It was inappropriate.
We all use the gestures we use, facial expressions, hand gestures, body language. No doubt we can find someone who does any of these involuntarily due to a condition.

President Trump would not intentionally do something like that to mock a disabled person. Believe what you want.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:28 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,853,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I have absolute respect for Bush Sr., what an incredible resume and life that man has lived. His policies and political comments certainly shouldn't be off limits simply because he's old and dying. This isn't personal.

The comments about McCain's capture during the campaign on the other hand went way over the line.
With our Dear Leader it is definitely personal. Anyone who does not grovel in praise of him will come under attack.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,067,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
We all use the gestures we use, facial expressions, had gestures, body language. No doubt we can find someone who does any of these involuntarily due to a condition.

President Trump would not intentionally do something like that to mock a disabled person. Believe what you want.
My 30 years of reading, hearing etc about Trump says different.

This is most definitely one of his character attributes. He is crude, rude, boorish, mean -- especially if he feels that he does not have the upper hand.

He mocks, lashes out, attacks folks for their physical appearance on a regular basis...which is hilarious given how he looks.

Defend his policies, the need for something different in The White House but you can't win any argument that suggests Trump's character is above mocking someone.

We know for sure it isn't.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
=burdell;52409298]No, it's supposed to express my contempt for a group of people who got their panties all knotted up over a POTUS merely putting his feet up on his desk yet fawn all over a pathetic little man who mocks the infirm and who's too much of a chicken**** to ever do anything like that face to face, he's a real keyboard warrior.
Who has their panties all knotted up now? Your pres, who put his feet up on the desk, showed contempt for the very same people that you express contempt for.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:30 AM

37,170 posts, read 19,265,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
is there a time limit on talking about 1000 points of light?

"In the 90s, Saturday Night Live comedian Dana Carvey imitated Bush and frequently used the phrase ‘thousand points of light.’"
Up until this bastard administration, there was an unwritten code of respect among all those who have occupied the office, current or previous. They may have disagreed with another president's policy on some matter, but they did not openly mock one another. Trump has demonstrated conclusively that he is not a gentleman or a statesman, and unfit to walk among his peers.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
My 30 years of reading, hearing etc about Trump says different.

This is most definitely one of his character attributes. He is crude, rude, boorish, mean -- especially if he feels that he does not have the upper hand.

He mocks, lashes out, attacks folks for their physical appearance on a regular basis...which is hilarious given how he looks.

Defend his policies, the need for something different in The White House but you can't win any argument that suggests Trump's character is above mocking someone.

We know for sure it isn't.
Re-read. THE DISABLED.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:32 AM

37,170 posts, read 19,265,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
really. there was no 'mocking' involved, though.

did you wail and complain when carvey actually did mock bush?
Carvey is a comedian, and as near as I remember, he was never president.

16,352 posts, read 8,114,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
We all use the gestures we use, facial expressions, had gestures, body language. No doubt we can find someone who does any of these involuntarily due to a condition.

I watched that video. It was obvious with his herky-jerky arm movements that Trump was imitating what he thought were the movements of a disabled person. But believe what you want.

11,027 posts, read 6,520,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
No, it's supposed to express my contempt for a group of people who got their panties all knotted up over a POTUS merely putting his feet up on his desk yet fawn all over a pathetic little man who mocks the infirm and who's too much of a chicken**** to ever do anything like that face to face, he's a real keyboard warrior.
You don't appear to have set any higher standard for yourself than the person you are vulgarily speaking of. It leaves one to wonder how it is that you believe you are in a position to judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies