Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 10:43 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yeah, I don’t really care but you kinda don’t know whether you’re going to get a “what are you looking at?” kind of reaction or if she was just slightly embarrassed.
Just go for a Curry.

I have never seen a baby in a curry house, they musn't like that spicy vindaloo.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-23-2018 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote. Quoting something inappropriate only adds to the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 02:06 PM

727 posts, read 152,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile
Is there a reason that she couldn’t leave the pool & go to a private area?
Yes when they saw it was bothering people they should have.. No big deal

Old 07-23-2018, 04:30 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
For some that is likely true but there are no generalizations to make like what was made.
For most its true lack of ones ability to admit it is another thing.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:34 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
For most its true lack of ones ability to admit it is another thing.
This is just my own personal experience. I do not have stats to back it up. It seems to me that it is women who have the biggest problem with other women breastfeeding in public. With that being the case, I doubt they are fans of bra less jiggly boobs either.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:57 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Why are we ignoring what goes on at the nation’s dairy farms?

With machines, yet. And their icy steel fittings.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:23 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Avoid public places folks. Your brain will thank you.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:26 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is just my own personal experience. I do not have stats to back it up. It seems to me that it is women who have the biggest problem with other women breastfeeding in public. With that being the case, I doubt they are fans of bra less jiggly boobs either.
I think so too.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I explained the law in relation to restaurants and other busineeses, and the fact that the patron was offended has nothing to do with the restaurant.

I wouldn't pay to have a meal surrounded by squealing babies or with toddlers running around, and the best thing the offended patron could do is to try and find a restaurant than doesn't admit babies and young children.

Going out for a meal later is also a good idea, as you don't tend to get many children in restaurants after 9pm.

The relevance is in relation to the law regarding babies and children in restaurants (as per the other posters comments in relation to a restaurant), as there is no legal right to take a baby or child in to a restaurant and more especially one serving alcoholic beveridges. Furthermore the restaurant is wthin it's rights to ask unruly children and screaming babies to leave the premises along with ther guardians.

Why Restaurants Are Banning Kids | Food & Wine

Why more and more restaurants are banning kids — Quartz

No kids allowed: Is Britain becoming an anti-child society?

Reservations soar at restaurant that has banned children | Daily Mail

As for the swimming pool breast feedingf I have already made my views known, and I also have reservations regarding exposing children to chlorine and other chemicals over a long period. Indeed research suggests that nitrogen trichloride, among other products formed when you pee in chlorinated water, such as chloramine and dichloramine, is linked to eye and upper airway irritation and is believed to be a major factor in the rise of asthma in children in the developed world.

Pool chlorine hypothesis - Wikipedia

Why that 'clean swimming pool' smell is actually bad for your health - The Conversation

Are Chlorine Pools Safe For Babies?

YouGov | No Breastfeeding in the swimming pool
Several of your links are from the UK. In any event, banning kids is of dubious legality. https://blogs.findlaw.com/free_enter...-it-legal.html And this isn't really an issue about allowing a kid into a restaurant. Once the business, be it a restaurant or a public swimming pool, has admitted the baby, all 50 states require that the mom be allowed to breast feed and 30 states including S. Carolina where this incident happened exempt bf women from public exposure laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I was eating breakfast at a restaurant not long ago and a woman was breastfeeding, the baby dropped down and a big red swollen nipple was staring at me.

The mother glared at me I don't know whether it was embarrassment or she was appalled that I was looking. She was right in my straight forward line of vision.

That is all I have to say.
Good Grief, where were you sitting that you saw all this? Next to the woman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Again, reading is fundamental. The patron wasn’t offended by a squealing baby or toddlers running around. They were offended by a breast feeding mother who chose to cover up.

Sure the “offended” patron could seek out child free venues so as not to chance seeing such a terribly offensive sight. But, what sort of venues should the mom who got yelled seek out? She was in a restaurant that allowed kids. Her kid was quiet and she was nursing him with a coverup because she wanted to do it that way. What options is she afforded so she can avoid nutcases who are bent on sharing their opinions loudly and rudely?

I’d much rather hear an actual crying baby than a loud obnoxious adult baby who feels their needs, wants, opinions must at all cost be expressed regardless of the appropriateness of doing so. After all, actual babies grow up and will hopefully become polite and reasonable adults. Adult babies like the one at the restaurant don’t and if not called out on their behavior will just keep doing it.
To add to that (agreeing with you) I've been disturbed in restaurants more often by loud, drunken adults than by babies, even if they were crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Is the pro breast feeding in public a more liberal or conservative thing? I feel this might be one of those issues that doesn't really fall strongly into either category, compared to something like abortion or gun laws.

One thing I noticed, perhaps it has always been happening but I just notice it more, is that mothers seem to be more lax about breast feeding in public. For example, at a park there are usually busy areas compared to non busy areas, think about the bench that is closest to the playground. I will see mothers feeding their babies at the closest bench. Also not just the location, but I do not see those small towels/blankets that are sometimes used to cover the breasts. Mothers seem very comfortable in just doing the whole action without concern of concealment. Just some things I noticed, not really complaining, but if I were a mother I think I would prefer the bench further away and I would always carry a towel/blanket.

Honestly I think I do prefer mothers being more further away and concealing more. But I also am glad that breastfeeding is becoming more socially acceptable in public(I am very anti formula, that is a whole other topic).
I worked in a pediatrician's office. Most of our patients would not breast feed in the waiting room, but wait until they got to the patient room, even in an office full of other parents and kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthouse View Post
Yes when they saw it was bothering people they should have.. No big deal
What else are they supposed to leave the pool for if it bothers people? Not to get into "whatabout", but just because something bothers you, that doesn't make it illegal or even inappropriate.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:53 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
I think it's weird so many of you are so focused on women breastfeeding. As the OP mentioned and most are aware, there are statutes to protect breastfeeding mothers. Most everyone knows this so just leave them TF alone....

It is strange those of you who want to control so many aspects of people's lives. A boob is not anything that anyone either hasn't or won't see at some point in their lives...

It's just a boob.

If the mom wants to feed her baby in the pool, that's on her. Personally, I'd be more concerned about urine, feces, and vomit in pools than breastmilk.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:02 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Is the pro breast feeding in public a more liberal or conservative thing? I feel this might be one of those issues that doesn't really fall strongly into either category, compared to something like abortion or gun laws.

One thing I noticed, perhaps it has always been happening but I just notice it more, is that mothers seem to be more lax about breast feeding in public. For example, at a park there are usually busy areas compared to non busy areas, think about the bench that is closest to the playground. I will see mothers feeding their babies at the closest bench. Also not just the location, but I do not see those small towels/blankets that are sometimes used to cover the breasts. Mothers seem very comfortable in just doing the whole action without concern of concealment. Just some things I noticed, not really complaining, but if I were a mother I think I would prefer the bench further away and I would always carry a towel/blanket.

Honestly I think I do prefer mothers being more further away and concealing more. But I also am glad that breastfeeding is becoming more socially acceptable in public(I am very anti formula, that is a whole other topic).
I breastfed both my children and am a big supporter of breastfeeding and have joined groups and been a support (and still am) to new mothers to help them breastfeed.

That said, women of both political leanings can be and are pretty hard core about people not bothering them with breastfeeding. It is the individual woman's preference and I do not believe it is based upon a political leaning. It is especially based on the temperament of the baby/toddler.

I know conservative women who actually did plan on using cover ups but their babies didn't like to be covered so they didn't use them and that made them very gung ho about people not bothering them because they didn't cover up or "go somewhere else" to breastfeed. If anything, the moms of babies who don't like to be covered are the main ones who are the most vocal on this sort of thing. It doesn't have anything to do with political ideology.

Neither of my own children liked to be covered either and the youngest took forever to eat, but I am just not shy either about my body - many women are - and so I didn't rush her or go somewhere else when she was nursing. We just did our thing. Many women are very insecure about breastfeeding and people like me and those gung ho moms do a lot to encourage them to know their rights and be confident and proud of their bodies based on them first growing a person and then being able to sustain a person for a year. That is a beautiful, powerful thing to be able to do and so bothering women about them feeding their babies will tick off all sorts of women.

It doesn't matter what you prefer. It matters what the babies and mothers prefer. As I noted above, boobs aren't that big of a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies