Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 07:32 PM

628 posts, read 664,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I'm going to express my frustration and anger with the direction things are taking. We have a friend who is Colombian, this lady is a naturalized U.S. citizen, she is in her 60s and has been working her entire career at Stanford University. She travels internationally for work occasionally, and she also goes back to visit her family in Colombia once a year.

She just got back from such a visit, flying into San Francisco, and apparently had a very bad experience with immigration. They took her passports and detained her for six hours before allowing her in. I'm not sure about the details, but according to her nothing like this had ever happened to her before and apparently there was no reason for it other than to harass people coming from South America.

This morning she's back at work at Stanford. So, what was the point of immigration giving her a hard time yesterday?

I have to say I'm very disappointed. I'm not alone in thinking that we're headed in a bad direction. This isn't the U.S. we grew up with, is it? I remember growing up, and although there was a lot of racism and issues, there was also a very open-minded melting-pot mentality. We were diversified and we embraced it.

That was then. This is now.
The media and NYC/LA embraced “diversity”. The citizens of this country never have. Do you really think Americans in the 1960s -1980s would have allowed so much third world immigration if they had any say? No other civilization has been forced to endure such a seismic demographic shift without any national referendum on immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 07:40 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,408,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
No, I'm saying it's one of the reasons local law enforcement refuses to work with ICE in sanctuary cities. The amount of legal immigrants detained is unacceptable.

ICE held an American man in custody for 1,273 days. He

"They and others described the panic and feeling of powerlessness that set in as agents took them into custody without explanation and ignored their claims of citizenship."

As a condition of my employment, every year I have to prove my citizenship to the federal government even though I have already done so many times in the past.

Each year I provide them with my driver's license, SS card and birth certificate.

They verify that my documents are genuine and, again, take my fingerprints to verify that I am the person that I claim to be.

If I can pull off this incredibly challenging exercise in document production, why can't others?

Old 07-28-2018, 08:14 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,350,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

"They and others described the panic and feeling of powerlessness that set in as agents took them into custody without explanation and ignored their claims of citizenship."

As a condition of my employment, every year I have to prove my citizenship to the federal government even though I have already done so many times in the past.

Each year I provide them with my driver's license, SS card and birth certificate.

They verify that my documents are genuine and, again, take my fingerprints to verify that I am the person that I claim to be.

If I can pull off this incredibly challenging exercise in document production, why can't others?
Because they aren't born in the US and can't prove citizenship using their easily obtainable and replaceable birth certificates.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:25 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,841,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Because they aren't born in the US and can't prove citizenship using their easily obtainable and replaceable birth certificates.
They have their naturalization certificate.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:48 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,350,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
They have their naturalization certificate.
Not if they've never gone through the naturalization process but still are a US citizen. Many are citizens by virtue of statute, i.e., through their relationship to a US citizen parent or grandparent.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:39 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,388,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
The media and NYC/LA embraced “diversity”. The citizens of this country never have. Do you really think Americans in the 1960s -1980s would have allowed so much third world immigration if they had any say? No other civilization has been forced to endure such a seismic demographic shift without any national referendum on immigration.
I share your sentiments, but your facts are not right. The UK and France are enduring worse seismic shifts without the populaces' consent.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:44 PM

1,438 posts, read 780,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Yes I do. Most Americans welcome immigratuon regardless of caste or creed. The only people opposing it live in areas which receive little to no immigration regardless. Mississippians may be against immigration but immigrants don’t want to movthere anyway, they want to move to move to the metropolitan areas where the jobs are. Maybe if Missippians, West Virginians, and Kentuckyians would get off there asses and move to the major metropolitan areas and becone housekeepers, janitors, and dishwashers. We wouldn’t need immigrants if people left conservative rural areas and moved to the liberal cities and filled these jobs. Until conservatives convince people to move to liberal cities and take dishwashing jobs, they have zero right to complain about immigration and in fact should be celebrating it as all signs point to rural people being too lazy to move to the liberal cities where all the jobs are.

I will say this again: Until rural people leave their unproductive economic areas for the thriving metroploitam areas where all the jobs are, their views on immigration shluldn’t matter as the vast majority pf immigrants migrate to prosperous metropolitam areas that need workers.

Old 07-29-2018, 12:10 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,841,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Not if they've never gone through the naturalization process but still are a US citizen. Many are citizens by virtue of statute, i.e., through their relationship to a US citizen parent or grandparent.
You then would have something like certification of citizenship pr report of a birth abroad, which a parent files with the embassy.

There is always, always a paper trail indicating your US citizenship.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:32 AM

89,083 posts, read 44,906,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You have yet provided any law that supports your view
The Oath of Naturalization. If that's violated, it's grounds for revocation of Naturalization:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

For example, Naturalizations are indeed revoked for violating any of the above, including but not limited to violating US laws. Anyone who knowingly violates their Oath of Naturalization at the time they take the Oath (violation including but not limited to having failed to renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty) has obtained Naturalization illegally.

Just like the 11+ million illegal aliens' continuing presence in the US does not make them lawful US residents. I'm sorry you're having a hard time understanding this very basic truth, but that's on you.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:39 AM

89,083 posts, read 44,906,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Lots of people I know have dual citizenship
I know those who do, as well. They have one US citizen parent and one foreign national parent. Note that they were born dual citizens. They are not Naturalized US citizens. A foreign national Naturalizing as a US citizen is an entirely different process which requires renouncing and abjuring any and all foreign allegiance(s). I posted the Oath of Naturalization. The OP specifically stated the woman in the incident is a Naturalized US citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies