Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 04:34 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Dual Nationality
"Dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country."
It also states that happens automatically. Naturalization isn't automatic. It's a CHOICE, in which one specifically takes an Oath to renounce any other allegiance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
Colombian-Americans (at least those naturalized after 1991) may renounce all they wish but that won't stop the Colombian govt from considering them still citizens of Colombia and requiring them to present a Colombian passport when they enter the country.
If so, such persons shouldn't have Naturalized as a US citizen. The Naturalization Oath requires one to renounce any other allegiance.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:42 AM

Furthermore, one can renounce Columbian citizenship.

Renouncement of Colombian nationality | Consulado de Colombia en Miami

If any former Columbian citizen has Naturalized as a US citizen, they should have done so, as required by their naturalization Oath.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:48 AM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
It's their own fault. They decided they were too good to be dishwashers, housekeepers, or fruit pickers, therefore we had to bring in immigrants to do those jobs.

Since when? Americans have always done those jobs for a fair wage. As for crop picking it's not a career job for Americans and is only seasonal work thus the unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:14 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
It's their own fault. They decided they were too good to be dishwashers, housekeepers, or fruit pickers, therefore we had to bring in immigrants to do those jobs.
Not really. The truth of the matter is straightforward:

The U.S. was expanding and growing (economically, militarily) all the way through the end of the 20th century, and the only way to be able to sustain that growth and to acquire the manpower needed for it, was to accept immigrants. Towards the end of the 20th century, the country got to a point where there's no need to grow more or establish more economic power, therefore there's no more need for immigrants, hence a shift in policy to clamp down on it.

That's the underlying reason for everything that happens insofar as immigration.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:20 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Default Help Wanted ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Since when? Americans have always done those jobs for a fair wage. As for crop picking it's not a career job for Americans and is only seasonal work thus the unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers.
Since when? Since now.

Small business owners struggle to fill the gaps with seasonal workers
Quote:
Small business owners say the shortage of H-2B visas remains a threat for businesses that rely on seasonal help.
With Fewer Available H-2B Visas, Employers Struggle To Find Seasonal Workers
Quote:
Prospects are dimming for their return: A cap was reached on the number of short-term work visas provided under the H-2B program, which brings in low-skilled labor for nonagricultural jobs that U.S. employers say they can't fill closer to home. This occurs mostly in landscaping, seafood processing, maid and other hospitality services.
Without visas for foreign workers, seasonal businesses are struggling to fill jobs
Quote:
Earlier this year, when Sunnypoint Landscape applied for visas to sponsor those workers, it received none.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:41 PM

152 posts, read 61,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It also states that happens automatically. Naturalization isn't automatic. It's a CHOICE, in which one specifically takes an Oath to renounce any other allegiance.
No, this is not entirely correct, is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Dept of State
Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice.

Now, could you please point out in that link where the US govt specifically makes a distinction for naturalized citizens (ie since naturalization is a choice, naturalized citizens are therefore prohibited from having dual citizenship.)

Quote:
If so, such persons shouldn't have Naturalized as a US citizen. The Naturalization Oath requires one to renounce any other allegiance.
Could you also point out where it says on the oath of allegiance that the other country (or countries) must accept the renunciation?

Quote:
Furthermore, one can renounce Columbian citizenship.

Renouncement of Colombian nationality | Consulado de Colombia en Miami

If any former Columbian citizen has Naturalized as a US citizen, they should have done so, as required by their naturalization Oath.
Should, required.... Is the US govt even doing any enforcement of the oath of allegiance, at least when it comes to dual citizenship?

Although...it may not be a bad idea to hold on to the dual citizenship, given the perpetual drama at the white house and the current anti-immigrant sentiment that helped propel Trump to the presidency....

Anyway all this talk of dual citizenship is making me seriously consider applying for mine. A second passport would make it even easier for me to travel by skipping the visa process in certain countries. Take Brazil, for instance. Last time I applied for a Brazilian tourist visa I had to pay the fees and take a day off from work just to be interviewed at the Brazilian consulate (this was before the advent of the e-visa). Having my second passport would have enabled me to avoid all that hassle, including paying for the visa.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
No, this is not entirely correct, is it.
Yes, it is entirely correct. Here's the Naturalization Oath:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

Also codified in US Law:

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/...0-0-10309.html

And I already posted the link to the info from Columbia on on renouncing Columbian citizenship.

Violate the Naturalization Oath = eligible for denaturalization. Period. If it happens, one should have known better what with taking the Naturalization Oath and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies