Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 05:02 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,800,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How would they even know that she had a 2nd passport? If she had presented only her US passport to re-enter the US, as required, they would have no way of knowing that she was also a citizen of another country.
It sounds to me like she herself screwed up at Customs. Dual (or more) citizens should present only only their US passport at US re-entry to avoid this type of confusion.
You guys are reading too much into it. My "s" was a typo. To be more specific, I was referring to them asking for her document"s" in general, not passport"s" in plural. She was not using two passports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 05:06 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,800,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
The media and NYC/LA embraced “diversity”. The citizens of this country never have. Do you really think Americans in the 1960s -1980s would have allowed so much third world immigration if they had any say?
True. It would be nice to think we had a history of tolerating immigrants, but I suppose the middle of the country never has.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:19 PM

63,097 posts, read 29,284,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
True. It would be nice to think we had a history of tolerating immigrants, but I suppose the middle of the country never has.

Not true. I don' t know any area of the U.S. that is opposed to legal immigration in reasonable numbers and for those who would be a benefit to our country rather than a burden and are willing to assimilate into their surroundings.

Diversity in those numbers is also important of which we aren't seeing today so we getting colonization and non-assimilation instead.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:23 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,620,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Not true. I don' t know any area of the U.S. that is opposed to legal immigration in reasonable numbers and for those who would be a benefit to our country rather than a burden and are willing to assimilate into their surroundings.

Diversity in those numbers is also important of which we aren't seeing today so we getting colonization and non-assimilation instead.
Trump and those who voted him into office oppose it ...
All the ways President Trump is cutting legal immigration

Old 07-30-2018, 06:25 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,620,362 times
Quote:
Violating the terms of Naturalized US citizenship, which requires the Oath including specifically swearing: "I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen," is grounds for revocation of Naturalization.

I don't make the requirements. I just follow them. If you have a problem with the requirements, perhaps you can lobby Congress to change the Naturalization Oath.
Dual Nationality
"Dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country."

Old 07-30-2018, 07:11 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,411,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...n-11723302.php
Hundreds of American citizens end up in deportation proceedings each year, immigration data shows
This is sad. True that no human is perfect, but one would think a country like ours could make this happen less.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:37 PM

152 posts, read 63,071 times
Quote:
The Oath of Naturalization. If that's violated, it's grounds for revocation of Naturalization:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

For example, Naturalizations are indeed revoked for violating any of the above, including but not limited to violating US laws. Anyone who knowingly violates their Oath of Naturalization at the time they take the Oath (violation including but not limited to having failed to renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty) has obtained Naturalization illegally.

Just like the 11+ million illegal aliens' continuing presence in the US does not make them lawful US residents. I'm sorry you're having a hard time understanding this very basic truth, but that's on you.

Quote:
If they've Naturalized, they shouldn't be dual citizens. That violates their Oath of Naturalization. The OP specifically stated the woman in the incident was a Naturalized US citizen

Those who are born to parents of two different nationalities are the exception to that. They acquire both citizenships at birth.
Colombian-Americans (at least those naturalized after 1991) may renounce all they wish but that won't stop the Colombian govt from considering them still citizens of Colombia and requiring them to present a Colombian passport when they enter the country.

http://www.colombiaemb.org/node/1759

Quote:
Note that as such, she never took the Naturalization Oath. Operative word: born. Not Naturalized.
Again, operative concept: born US citizen. Neither were foreign nationals who Naturalized US citizens.

This is why ignoring the US citizenship requirements of both Naturalized former foreign nationals and illegal aliens is problematic. We now have an Administration that is taking steps to correct that. It's about time.
Is that so? I know naturalized people who have dual citizenship in other countries. So far, they've been in and out of the country with no problems. IMO the Trump administration should instead be taking steps to correct the attitude of immigration officials because many of them are just plain rude.

Last edited by Melpomene; 07-31-2018 at 12:40 AM..

Old 07-31-2018, 09:55 PM

1,438 posts, read 781,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Haha the attack on “racist, rural whites”.you sound like a CNN or MSNBC paid plant. Do you really think that if US citizens were told in 1960s that I’m just 50urs the country would be just 60% white they really would have welcomed that with open arms? No, they would have voted that down in waves.
It's their own fault. They decided they were too good to be dishwashers, housekeepers, or fruit pickers, therefore we had to bring in immigrants to do those jobs.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:48 AM

9,504 posts, read 5,295,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Sorry for your friend's experience. I suppose this is what happens when you have a president who espouses bullying.

Sounds like she should write a nice editorial article to a major newspaper detailing her experience.
God, really? Please, seek help for your TDS. It's an epidemic.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:31 AM

89,320 posts, read 45,042,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
You guys are reading too much into it. My "s" was a typo. To be more specific, I was referring to them asking for her document"s" in general, not passport"s" in plural. She was not using two passports.
Does she have two passports? If so, why? As a Naturalized US citizen, she was supposed to renounce any other allegiance. It's a requirement of Naturalization. I've posted the Oath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies